DIY Wireless Home security system?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by superhawk28, Sep 24, 2013.

1. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Anyone done any of this yourselves? I have a hardwired system now and my dogs do a very good job however outside the house itself is still vulnerable. I like the 'wireless' options as I can put sensors on all the doors of my storage/garage areas if I went that route. However no clue on how reliable they are.

So chime in if anyone has done any of it themselves. I don't want to pay monthly fees. And if I can add a camera or two that would be perfect.

Was looking at systems something similar to this. https://www.ismartalarm.com/

Anything that would allow me to access/view via my iPhone or a browser is a plus.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

3. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

That's just a camera Matt. I'm looking for a more complete system. One that triggers when windows are opened, doors opened, etc. One that you can 'arm/disarm', etc. Like a traditional ADT system but without the monthly cost.

Basically if armed I'd like it to push notification to my phone. I would then decide whether to notify authorities or not. Also the camera would be motion activated and I can have a recorded copy.

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Features:

Dropcam Cloud Video Recording (CVR) - Secure offsite recording. Motion detection. Mobile alerts. Video clips.

No?

5. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

That works for the outside stuff. Will not work for home.....I have 2 border collies. They would trip the sensor. For home I would need at a minimum door and window ajar sensors. Glass breakage is a plus.

Normally I wouldn't worry but lately burglary has increased tenfold around home. And I've aquired some very very expensive equipment in the past year that I would like to have more secure.

6. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Like what? Could I get a list of these items and their placement in your home?

7. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

No you shall not.

8. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

making mental note to sonar image superhawk28's house from parked van

for science!

9. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

LOL. Its lawn care equipment if you must know.

[​IMG]

Oh I forgot ya'll live in the cement mountain........it's a device used to cut grass. Such a device is very useful especially when you have 7 acres of yard to cut.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  10. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

That could finish cutting my backyard before it even gets warmed up.

11. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Dang thing will go 11mph and it will cut that fast too!

12. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

7 acers? Screw a home security system and just build a moat around your place with gators in it. Problem solved.

13. b reel

b reel Active Member

first of all, WTF with mowing 7 acres? and second, without on site guards an alarm is an after the fact waste of money. Maybe work on the theft deterrent aspects...

damn city boy living in the burbs thinking he's country

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

you and the Jew should supplement the collies with goats.

15. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I have goats. 3 of em.

16. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

That was my conclusion at the end of the day yesterday. Probably going to chain the sucker down once I finish building this new building.

17. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

18. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

^^^I like that but would also like some form of notification to my phone.

19. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

20. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

21. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Lol oops! Reading comprehension > me today.