Question about brakes and replacement

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by seeingred, Dec 16, 2013.

1. seeingred

seeingred Member

Hello -

So, I've had my the rotors and pads replaced at a local place and after about 750 miles of driving, I am still hearing whomp whomp sounds from the rear passenger at low speeds.

Long story short, initially when it was replaced, I heard the sound, the local shop replaced the parts and couldn't determine why the sound. Then, replaced again. And now, I bought my own parts and replaced and still the sound. The shop still does not know why the sound. I did a search and found this:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269334

.. but was wondering if you all have had this problem and how to fix or if the solution in the link fixed it for you all as well. Would be interested in hearing..

Thank you for your help!

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

have you considered a wheel bearing failure? how many miles are on the car?

3. seeingred

seeingred Member

Yes

The local shop replaced the wheel bearings too. That was the first thing he thought and did. He did this after we replaced the rotors and pads. Nearly 80,000 miles.

4. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

what do the tires look like? if you got meaty tires they'll make a noise, i've seen feathered tires make a noise. I've even seen stripped caliper bolts make a noise because they can't get tight enough that the caliper will actually float going down the road.. Possibly a ceased caliper as well.

as for the rotor and handbrake issue in the forum link.. I've only seen that been done when a shop over tightens the handbrake mechanism in the back to far on one side.. Causing it to unevenly compress in the rear rotor thus leaving one to expand and the other one to still sit there. It also has happened after an aftermarket shop had over tightened them so much that the customer never realized that her handbrake was up slightly not triggering the brake light. thus she wore the inside out and broke almost every spring in the brakes. Some shops don't realize there is a happy medium to adjusting brakes..

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  5. FACE

FACE Active Member

Maybe try finding some wheels to throw on and see if the sound remains, and if not then you know if the tires for sure.

What conditions seem to cause the noise? Does it happen at certain speed or does anything make the sound stop?

6. seeingred

seeingred Member

Hmm.

I have been running the same size tires for a while. They are the 225 45 18", I think. I have an 06 wrx.

The sound also is only audible at lower speeds - 20mph and lower. Higher than that, you don't really hear it. But at 20mph or lower, you hear the whomp whomp..

One other question, I changed the cv boots at SOG a few weeks ago, and now everytime I turn the steering hard, I hear a screeching - any thoughts what is causing that as well? Urrggh, so many problems!!

7. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

Friend and I changed the pads and rotors on his WRX this weekend and we also heard weird noise. Only at low speeds and on right turns.
    I thought it was coming from the drivers side and he said it sounded like it came from the passenger side, so it may depend on where you are sitting.
    Do your actual hand brakes function properly?

8. seeingred

seeingred Member

yeah..

handbrakes function properly. so, nothing wrong there. have you had a chance to take it apart and see what the issue was? Maybe look at the link in my original post?