Vendor Review Tune at Forged Performance

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by spsWRX, Dec 16, 2013.

1. spsWRX

spsWRX Member

Hey guys, I don't really post much but I do linger around the forums a lot. Anyways, I recently won a raffle at Forged Dyno day for 2 hours free protune from them. I'm already on Stage 2 TQ performance e-tune, so I'm just looking for my powerband to be smoothed out. I read a few reviews for them online and they seem to be ok. I installed a few new parts for the tune (Walbro 255lph, CAI, and Grimmspeed EBCS). Any of you guys here have any experienced with them? I will update leave a detailed review after I get the tune this Friday the 20th.

EDIT:

Ok, So I did went ahead to get the tune at Forged. I arrived there around 12pm, signed in, and fill out paperwork. My car did not get strapped onto the dyno until about 1-1.30, I guess since it was a free tune so they kinda took their time. Sharif end up doing the tune and he started around 2.00pm. After 8 pulls, it was already over the 2 hours free tuning time, but Sharif told me he was not going to charge me extra. He end up doing a total of 12 pulls till he finalized the tune at around 5.30pm. My car made 269whp and 280wtq @ 19psi. AFR is at 11.5 at WOT. He could not get a baseline pull since I installed my EBCS right before the tune. Overall, Im pretty pleased with the result. Car feels more responsive and pulls a lot harder, haven't had any problem with it so far since Friday.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Good Luck!

3. Tireboi

Tireboi Member

I would just sell your raffle. IMHO.

4. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I'd ask them how many hours they expect the protune to take. You may end up having to pay quite a bit to get out of there...

5. spsWRX

spsWRX Member

They told me it wouldnt take more than 2 hours since i dont have any big mods.

6. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I'd stay away. Not to be a basher but you obviously haven't researched enough. They have a BAD reputation.

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

Have your lawyer present at the tune

8. integroid

9. spsWRX

spsWRX Member

Yea i saw that article. But the shop did try to make it right at the end, I'm not trying to defend them or anything though.

10. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Ok so you saw that article and there's 3 other instances with different customers of the exact same stuff......and you are still considering work?

Good luck with that....hope it works out for ya.

11. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

That is just one case that went viral and hit Jalop. If you dig you will find that same story with variations happen all the time at...that place. Try the G35/350 forums.

Everybody that has chimed in would not let THAT shop do any work on their car even if it was free if that tells you anything. If the raffle ticket says "tune by guest tuner SS" then by all means use it.

Something told you to post here....the advice given is what it is. Unfortunately, what seemed like a bit of luck might be a hunk of shite in the end. Think about this: the shop "tried to make it right" after completely hacking a much more expensive car from a customer spending a lot more than the cost of a raffle ticket. Do you think they are doing anything for you if they blow your engine on the dyno or later as a result of the tune? Tread carefully and good luck.

12. spsWRX

spsWRX Member

You're right, something does tell me to post here and I do appreciate all the feedbacks and need to dig a little deeper. In the case of "tune by guest tuner" they actually told me that it MIGHT be Scott Siegel that will tune my car. I still have 3 days to decide if I still want to go ahead and do it, and again I appreciate all of your feedbacks.

13. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

If it's Scott go for it 100%. Else I wouldn't risk it.

14. techlord

techlord Active Member

Scott tuned my car there and I think as far as tuning you would be okay. I'd never let them touch my car mechanically but wouldn't anywhere else either except the boys at AllPro.

15. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Scott tuned my car while he was still at TopSpeed. I was very happy with the tune.

16. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

I initially took my car to top speed to have it tuned a few years back. They said my cobb programmer was bad (bullshit by the way). Took my car to Scott Siegel at Forged, he said it was fine. Haven't had an issue with my car since. If it's Scott who will tune it, you should be fine

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  17. spsWRX

spsWRX Member

edited the first post.

18. Justin V

Justin V Member

I am considering a forged tune, only because Scott tunes there. I contacted Scott directly and he said to pick a date with him and just schedule through forged.

If I could talk to doug at topspeed I consider them but don't like the current game of relay I am playing through mike.

19. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I would do a SS tune over Doug any day given a choice. My old WRX had 170K trouble free hard driven miles on SS tunes. Both are great tuners and you can't go wrong with either but given the choice I would let SS tune.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  20. b reel

b reel Active Member

I wish there was a another option for a dyno tune in the metro area, some place that is above all the drama and petty bullshit.

21. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Will never happen.

22. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

If anybody is able to confirm that SS does actually tune and not just refer to Forged that would be very helpful. OP was told SS would tune, but it was Sharif. If a paying customer schedules an appointment for a SS tune will they actually get SS?

SS,
    I know you lurk on here from time to time. How about some throwback SS street tunes.

spsWRX,
    Any updates? Still happy with the tune?

23. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Holy crap Siegel.....

[​IMG]

This isn't the real Siegel that we are talking about to those not in the know.....lol

24. spsWRX

spsWRX Member

Originally they said SS MIGHT tune my car. So I guess it wasn't a definite that he would do it, and I went in there knowing that it might be Sharif that will be doing the tune. Being that it's a free tune, I can't really complain about that. I'm sure if a paying customer schedules a tune with SS, he will definitely do it.

As far as update, I'm still very happy with it. I've had no problem at all so far, car pulls very strong and throttle response is amazing.

25. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

What numbers did your car make

26. Justin V

Justin V Member

From November 27th
    [​IMG]

27. spsWRX

spsWRX Member

269whp 280wtq @ 19psi

28. Beardog420

Beardog420 Member

i guess you never worked in the automotive field or any type of retail job.

Complaints occur all the time with unsatisfied customer's no matter who the company is or what the complaint is about so you shouldn't imply he will also have a bad experience with them.

29. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadly, Forged has had more bad experience than good as of late. I certainly wouldn't take my car there.

30. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Obviously you do not know me.....I know plenty and enough to avoid that place with only one exception......Scott Siegel tunes the car.

31. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I'm SS tuned. I have a DD/Auto-x car and it's been 5 years with zero issues. If you can wait for his time, I would. The shop is irrelevant.
    I know he's already had the tune, just adding to the drama I guess.

Disclosure: I was taken care of at Forged.

32. Beardog420

Beardog420 Member

What is an SS tune and the cost?

33. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Call and ask? Each tune varies per car.

34. integroid

Probably a lot more than you want to spend if you didnt like pullz on tuning prices.

35. Beardog420

Beardog420 Member

not at all, i didnt know what SS meant and was only comparing.

Steve seems like a great guy so ill be working with him.

36. integroid

SS=Scott Siegel....he tunes cars out of Forged but doesnt work for Forged.

37. techlord

techlord Active Member

200 per hour at forged

38. integroid

TS, Forged, SS all charge in the $200-$250 an hour for tuning and should take 2-3 hours to do.