2014 auto cross inquiry

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by kohlby777, Jan 13, 2014.

1. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

Fluid i assume? *Motul* lol

2. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Me too, I was surprised to find out that they did not have something like that already on the STi. I was thinking of waiting to change them and just change the pads this weekend, but I figured why not while I am down there might as well.

Oh and typo it is Motul RBF600

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

[​IMG]

4. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

That's what I kept coming up with, I didn't think he was installing one of those... ;)

5. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

SS lines are a GREAT upgrade for any setup. Once you warm your fluid up the pedal becomes nice and firm so that you can really feel what your brakes are doing for you. I am wondering how you made it so long with out them...they are about $100, and worth every penny.

Motul is good stuff, I'll prolly end up using it. I used to use super blue, but I believe they stopped making it because they couldnt make it blue anymore due to the government.

6. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I got the pads, lines, and fluid in and the only thing I can say is face meet wheel :eek3:
    WOW these things have a lot of grip. I think the lines have help with feel and modulation, as I can already tell these pads will need a lot of modulating.

I did not get a chance to install the steering rack bushing, but hopefully will have the time this coming weekend!:sx:

7. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

It feel like the earth all of sudden starts turning backwards if you have a nice set of brakes\pads on a car.

I have to get used to not being able to drive 20 feet from the corner before braking like I could in my miata. I had the wilwood 11" front\10.5" rear BBK from flyin' miata on there. That sucker STOPPED.

8. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I'M LAZY ;)

I know, I need to. I'm wondering if my Master Cylinder is dying a slow death. I pedal is rock solid when the car has been parked for a bit. I feel like it's a little closer to the floor, but maybe it's in my head. I do have a habit of always pumping up the pedal no matter what I'm driving with a little pedal tap or 2 before I use them. I had a few cars in high school had got me into this habit.

9. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Well if you warm them up and then park it for a bit, the heated fluid might cause more pressure in the system. So that doesnt sound to worrying.

Lines are fairly easy to change out though. Its only alil bit harder than bleeding your brakes.

I do recommend soking the crap out of joints between the caliper and the stock line and the between the hard line and your stock line with WD40 or PB Blaster. That metal is VERY soft so you cant put much pressure on it before it starts to strip even with the proper flare nut wrench.

10. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

We discovered this helpful trick on our last brake job - temporarily brace the opening of the flare wrench with a small vice grip around it, so there is no flex to the wrench when breaking the hose fitting loose, then remove

11. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Holy crap... epic idea... That just blew my mind... :clap:

12. Khionê

Khionê Member

Sorry for the late post, but in ST tires for 2014 season can be 140 or higher and 2015 it's 200. It looks like you be able to run a 1"+\- wheel from stock. So a stock wheel is 17" you can use a 16" or 18". You can't change how wide the rim is, so if stock is 17x8 (like wrx 11-13) you can only use 16x8, 17x8 or 18x8.

I love HP+ pad! I used them for auto crossing and after the season was over I put my stock pads back in. I felt like I could not stop with my stock pads back in. After 3 weeks I put my hp+ back in. Can't go wrong with hp+, I can deal with the noise and dust knowing that I won't have a problem ever stopping.

If you never have auto cross before I highly recommend it. It's a great way to learn your car.

13. Khionê

Khionê Member

A line wrench is what you should use for brake line. They are normally 7/16-1/2 or 10-12mm are going to be used for brake line. Working on cars and trucks for a living , I have never had a problem braking a line lose with a line wrench that wasn't jacked up from someone that rounded off the edges on the fitten. It never hurts putting some wd40 or bp blaster on the threads of the fitten.

14. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

15. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

16. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I didnt get my email till then as well, they posted it on the local forums before the email went out.

17. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Yeah, that's Randall P that posted. He keeps this site up to date with the schedules and special events.

18. bluedestiny

Thanks,
    What brand/model works, as even with PB blaster on our18yr old landcruiser brake makeover, there were 2 lines that required the the vice grip with what sears craftsman calls a flare/line wrench?

19. bluedestiny

Absolutely, if not for wifey complaints they would still be on there, instead of the HPS pads now. Planning to try Jeff's approach w anti squeal on everything for HP+ for auto-x season

20. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Hope see most of you next month.

OP sorry we can geek out sometimes, we have novice orientation/classes at almost every event. I am sure that Superdude (STX - WRX), Khionê (DS - WRX) or myself (STU -STi) will be more than happy to novice instruct and help you out at the events. We too are at almost every event.

Have you figured out what mods you have or going to be doing?

21. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I would like to get into autox. What class does an eg33 swapped coupe with 17x10 wheels fall into?

22. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

SM or SM2. motor swap automatically puts you in that class.

23. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

ill see you there dana!

24. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

your ls1 7 would be...interesting out there.

25. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

yea, i need a few things before i go out there

26. liltoua

liltoua Member

It's an autocross event...not a drift event Patrick! haha

27. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

yes I have and I have to agree there is a tremendous improvement in steering response

28. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

As of now I have turbo back exhaust, strut bars, h brace, twin s tech springs, 17x8 rpf1s, and an access port just about does it but I may try to add an aftermarket up pipe in the next few weeks. So my question is does the DS class require a stock wrx? Or could I enter under DS?

29. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I think you are in BM(?maybe AM?), the TBE punts you out of stock class, and the H brace punt you out of STX.

Edit: With B/A mod. you do get to change the boost levels :naughty:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  30. Khionê

Khionê Member

Class

I do believe he can be in STU or STX depending if he has a WRX or STI.

31. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

It only really becomes an issue if s/he starts to get competitive STX/U sounds good for now. He will be in a novice class to start anyways, we can then talk to someone with more knowledge of interpreting the rules then.

32. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

Plus with an AP running any of the staged settings it would not be legal in ST_.

Also somebody posted earlier about their BRZ with catless exhaust. Also not legal in ST_. Must have a cat, but can be high flow as long as it is within 6" of stock location.

33. ApexShift

ApexShift Member

Hey Kohlby777, we all love helping people at the events, glad you are coming.

Technically you would be __SP (Street Prepared, was BSP for my STi when I started), from what I remember due to no cat, x-brace and AP with any tune that changes boost. I have a custom AP tune for STU where boost isn't changed.

BUTTTTT, as Miles said, we want to make sure you have fun and learn. I'm sure all of us STU people would be cool with you joining us as you learn. I ended up running BSP with an almost stock car due to an x-brace and it wasn't fun. I would suggest that you change these things ASAP, since you really need to be learning your car like it will be in competition. Once it's set for the year we also suggest not modding your first year. This way you learn how to drive and don't A) have to keep adjusting due to mods and B) know if you're improving or your car is.

I REALLY suggest you make it out to the Test and Tune Feb 22nd. Learning is a lot about seat time and you'll get a bunch the. Also, for all of us who love helping mentor new Subie drivers, it gives us more time to give rides and instruct.

Can't wait to add one more to the Subie ranks! I'll be the 05' White STi with black wheels and wing. Come say hi to all of us Subie drivers!

Peace,
    James

34. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

^+1

James has a lot more experience with subie's than I do.

35. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I thought you just had REALLY REALLY dirty gold wheels, James :ddirty:

Well put, though. I started racing with my stock car and added front and rear Sways. That put me into the STX class. It was rough the first year, but I kept at it. I worked my way into 2nd place running stock wheels and shocks. And it was ALL about the seat time. It can't be stressed enough.

My wife and I run the silver WRX #22 STX, our passenger seat is always open for ride-a-longs. It's interesting to see 2 drivers drive the same car, totally differently, and get within a tenth of each other. You'll find your driving style, and go from there. I like the rear end rotating early, so drive more like a bull in a china shop, my wife is way more of a finesse driver.

I will say, though, after being in an STi, I have power envy. That's way more fun then my WRXs 220hp...

36. ApexShift

ApexShift Member

Haha Randall, I actually painted my wheels the color of brake dust so I wouldn't have to clean them.

The crazy thing is that your WRX was beating my STi times for a bit there. I finally have it feeling really balanced now, even with my stock shocks. You and your wife sure know how to throw that thing around. It was interesting at the last test n tune switching cars and seeing how close our different styles were in both cars. May have to try that again next time.

It really does come down to seat time and getting comfortable with your car at speed. It's also great to drive other peoples car when you can. Being an instructor, I probably drove about 20 different cars last season. I was able to drive most of them at 8/10th right away, which I know has a lot to do with just pure seat time going 10/10th in my car so much.

See you in a couple weeks. Sign ups for the Test and Tune and Points 1 are up. Unfortunately, due to limited space, we are restricting the Test and Tune to experienced drivers. You will be able to do the other one later In the season after a few events.

37. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

I probably won't make it out until the first event in March due to a bad radiator and power steering issue I'm dealing with right now. I'm overwhelmed my the outreach and support on here from all of you offering to mentor me. The Subie community really is special

38. b reel

b reel Active Member

so where does a 97 coupe with a 2.5 WRX swap fit in for this cross thing? Essentially stock drivetrain with the usual bolt on's.

39. Khionê

Khionê Member

You can always come out and do ride along and see what goes on.

Think you be in a modified class

40. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; SCH-I545 Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/32.0.1700.99 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Because the engine wasnt used in a gc chassis I think you are in a modified class. If the chassis had that engine it would let you be in SM I think?

41. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

or find someone to co-drive with. I had something similar happen to me at the beginning of last year :eek4:. Luckily I was able to get another ride by the next event.

Do not be surprised though, whom ever might charge or want something in return; no free drives. I have seen $10/run, up to a new set of tires for a full season.

42. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

This cross thing :) Nice.

Yeah, pretty much, all the rules start with a stock/factory car and go from there. a full engine swop is a fully modified car. It hurts if that's the only thing done to the car, but Mod class allow tons of changes to the car, so it's good if your ready to spend the cash ;)

43. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

44. b reel

b reel Active Member

45. b reel

b reel Active Member

So read through the rulebook and will be stuck in the Modified Class. Think I'll just dress up the coupe with some the wagons seconds and have fun...

46. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

It's not a big Class in Atlanta, so you may surprise yourself. Well, last year it wasn't, never know what's going to show up though.

47. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Just looked up attendance, there's only 1 car in each Mod class. You fit into the b-Mod, right? You're guaranteed 2nd at least! :keke:

48. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I signed up in STU for sunday.

So how big is this lot? and are we going to be able to stretch our legs?

49. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

50. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Nice! :naughty: