JL audio 10 w7

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Holc13WRX, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

I've got a JL 10 w7 sitting in my living room, and I was pretty set on selling it, but now I'm not so sure. Now I am thinking I want to put it in the wrx.

I need a new amp for the sub. Any suggestions?

Is anyone on here running the stock speakers with just a head unit, amp, and sub setup? How do the stock speakers sound with a new head unit? I honestly don't want to invest in all new speakers for the car.

Thanks for the help.

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

The W7 is a great sub....you should keep it.

If you just want an amp for the sub, you dont have to spend a ton....Massive Audio has a nice small mono amp.

I ran the stock head unit, stock speakers, subwoofer with a 4 channel amp running the front speakers and sub only. It sounded pretty good for what it was.

If you want to go the multi channel amp direction, you can probably find a good one for under $200.

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Massive Audio ftw. I'd definitely look into them. I have a bx4 nano bit amp from them that I'll hopefully get around to installing someday...

4. Holc13WRX

5. integroid

I personally would never run an audiobahn but if you are just putting it on your sub, it wont be that bad.

6. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

Just installed my old autobahn setup (2 12in Sub, 2 Channel amp, and 4 Channel Amp) from 7 years ago in my brothers accord and I was surprised that it still works just as good, since its been sitting in the garage for about 2 years...So from experience, Autobahn has been great to me...

7. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

jl w7 10 and JL 500/1 amp was a match made in heaven for me. Bought it in high school (grad in '02) and worked amazingly until I stopped using it about 2 years ago - still have it but not in my car..

8. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

Or you could just easily sell me the W7 for an awesome price =) looking to upgrade from my Polk MM

9. Holc13WRX

Haha... I'm definitely set on installing it now. I'm even considering new speakers all the way around. Now I'm thinking about an alpine amp..

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-10608-mrx-m110-alpine-monoblock-1100w-rms-power-amplifier.aspx

It should run about 800 RMS @ 3 ohms. But should tone down nicely. I will definitely get the full potential out of my w7 with it...

10. integroid

11. Holc13WRX

It's been a few years since I really researched all of this stuff, and I guess I forgot how much I enjoy high quality audio... Looking forward to it.

I'm thinking about picking up this package as well. Ever time I have heard FOCALs they just absolutely blew me away. looks like a good package deal.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-12013-p...xial-speakers-solid4-4-channel-amplifier.aspx

12. Holc13WRX

I was in little 5 points and saw a little yard sale... Found this gem there for $50! I looked on amazon and they were going for $200.... Not bad! Now i've got to wire this thing up.

[​IMG]

13. Holc13WRX

The guy I purchased it from said he had in his 4 runner back in 05' and only ran it for about 6 months. When he purchased a new car never installed it, but who knows. It is absolutely immaculate not a scratch on it.

14. integroid

Good Deal. I actually still have one in my basement somewhere:)

15. Holc13WRX

Now I need some recommendations for a head unit. I've been out of the market for a while.

The last unit I had was an alpine, and I had it in 2 different cars, and it worked flawlessly with my mtx setup, my alpine setup, and my JL setup. I don't need dvd, nav, or any of that stuff. I'm looking to spend $100- $200. My main concern is usb connectivity and the best possible audio output.

16. Matt

17. Holc13WRX

I'm thinking something like this is fine with me...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X6700BS

So I'm just trying to get things off the list here. Correct me if I am wrong.

1. 0 gauge amp wiring kit.
    2. dash kit for the head unit
    2. wiring harness? Is there an additional harness I will need to buy to keep my steering wheel controls workings? Link would be awesome

18. Matt

19. Matt

Y U NO navigation...or double din?

20. Holc13WRX

Because I'm cheap! But seriously...

I wouldn't be opposed to double din(at all), but I really don't want to spend too much. I feel like for the most part adding nav/DVD is just adding on $100s that I don't really need to spend.

I can't exactly get on Robb's level of audio quality haha.

Thanks for the link on the amp kit.... I had there stuff installed in my z and couldn't remember the brand name. Their wires are awesome to work with.

21. Holc13WRX

Can anyone recommend some installers for me. I'm looking for some quality work that's not going to break the bank.

I used benchmark sound works in alpharetta about 5 years ago and they did awesome work building me a custom box for my z, but damn they have gotten more expensive...

I would be totally down to do this with someone on the site if they are proficient at installing. I would be cool with paying and would bring a case of :beer: I like to be involved with any work that goes on with my car, but I don't trust myself to do the audio... I also don't want to sit in my car for 8 hours trying to figure it all out haha.

22. Matt

Car tunes. they're probably gonna be pricey though.

23. Holc13WRX

Just called them and they wouldn't even give me a quote... They want me to throw all my sh*t in my car and drive down there before they will give me a quote... Pretty annoying if you ask me.

I've called a couple of other places and they were happy to give me a quote.

It does look like they do some quality work though.... I wouldn't hesitate to let them work on my car.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  24. integroid

Why on earth do you need 0 gauge for one amp?

25. Holc13WRX

yeah I've now decided on 4 gauge... I found out quickly 0 gauge was over kill haha