Any input on the FB25?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by superhawk28, May 19, 2014.

1. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Does anyone know of any issues with the FB25 engines? Things like the ringlands on the EJ25 etc?

2. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

My wife's outback has one of these in there. The only problem that we've had with it has been oil consumption. I think it partly due to the fact that put 0w20 in it and that stuff is about as thick as water.

Besides that it is peppy for a NA 2.5 in a very large car and gets great gas milage for a large car as well. She gets ~28 mpg average on it and most of her driving is stuck in traffic. She does have a 6-spd in it.

3. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Just curious, have you tired running regular oil in for one oil change and then switching back to synthetic?

4. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Nope I havent, I've been adding more 0w20 like the book says...

As soon as free oil changes are up I am going to start putting something a tad thicker in there, cas that 0w20 stuff makes me uncomfortable. Its so thin.

5. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Yeah I've been digging around on the Forester forum and I am reading the same thing about oil consumption.

6. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

7. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I remember back in the 90's Audi or Porsche had an oil consumption problem on cars that were coming straight from the factories with Synthetic oil in them. The fix (TSB) was to run regular dino oil for one oil change cycle to let the rings seat properly then switch back to Synthetic.

8. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

That is certainly worth a try, like I said as soon as the free oil changes are done something else is getting put in there.

9. orndog

orndog Member

One actual TSB http://allwheeldriveauto.com/wp-cont...02-143-13R.pdf

10. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Excellent POST!!! asking about this later this week.

11. orndog

orndog Member

Doesn't appear to include turbo engines yet. But no harm in trying.

12. jp233

jp233 Member

What FB25 Turbo???

This is definitely because of the water-oil 0w20, the CVT in a lot of these does not help with ring breakin. And the 0w20 will blow right by those rings.

Note that BOTH of those things were done for a singular reason: fuel mileage.

Great mileage with these new engines, and a boring cvt , but at what cost?

Bummer that Subaru still can't get some of this new stuff out right.

13. orndog

orndog Member

His profile indicates he owns an STi.
    Also, while thin oil might exasperate the problem it is not the cause, it makes the symptom more identifiable.

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

he posted his wife has an outback with this engine though.

15. orndog

orndog Member

That was over 2 months ago, what am I, the rain man? :rofl:

16. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you wearing your underwear?