Vendor Review Allpro: Not impressed...

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by greenman100, Jul 11, 2014.

1. greenman100

greenman100 New Member

Really wanted to fall in love with Allpro based on the reviews here, was looking forward to finding a great shop in the Atlanta area, as I am new here. Needed two wheels mounted and balanced.

Called ahead, they estimated it'd take 30 minutes. Showed up at 1pm, they were in the middle of lunch and said they'd start on it afterwards.

At 2:30pm, the tires were ready. As I was loading them up I check with the tech that he had swapped the TPMS sensors. He said that wasn't needed, that the vehicle would relearn the sensors from the other wheels (from another 2014 WRX). I said that was contrary to what I'd read on the internet, but that I trusted him. As I was walking out the door, he said that he wanted to call the dealership to double check. Turns out like I thought, you do have to either reprogram the TPMS computer, or swap the sensors. Took another 15 minutes to swap the sensors over, which they never gave back to me - I had to call once I got home and ask them to mail them to me. He didn't seem happy to mail them (maybe $2 of postage), and didn't apologize for not getting them back to me.

On top of that, they charged an extra $15 to patch a nail puncture in one of the tires, which seemed pretty chintzy considering the tire was already off the wheel for the mount+balance. I would have thought they would not charge for a patch, especially when the tire was already off the wheel, since Discount Tire and other patch for free. He never mentioned this $15 charge.

Overall, not impressed. Was disappointed that I knew more about the TPMS system after only owning a Subaru for 3 months, when these guys are supposed to be experts. 3/5 stars, was about what I'd expect from a random mechanic. Perhaps I just got them on an off day - I'd be willing to try them again, but the didn't meet the expectations I had after reading these reviews on the forum. I also do most of the work on my cars, so it is rare I use other mechanics and possible I don't realize how bad other shops are in comparison.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Wow. This is definitely the only negative review of allpro I have ever seen.

I would definitely give them another shot. They have helped numerous people in this community.

3. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Sounds like a simple mistake, I can see how someone could assume the TPM'S would conform to the vehicles existing sensors. Thanks for sharing though

4. orndog

orndog Member

I've read at least one other, they tend to disappear. All in all, Allpro is great for Subie stuff, nobody is perfect.

5. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

There are always 2 sides to the coin

Ive never heard of free tire repair (especially patch). unless you "paid" for the lifetime puncture repair. Once the repair is done who ever did the repair is responsible for the after.... {ask yourself why would a shop in business want to take that responsibility for free}.

6. orndog

orndog Member

Not to pick nits here, but Kauffman patches tires for free as long as they are patchable and the tread isn't worn out, regardless of where you bought them.

7. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

free balance too ??

8. greenman100

greenman100 New Member

No, no business does free balancing that I know of. Not sure why it is relevant or why you asked.

Re: free patching - Companies do it because it costs them 10 cents and 5 minutes, and gives the customer a really good feeling. Several friends have gone back to Discount Tire as a result, so it does have a payoff for the business.

Again - this isn't a negative review, just a neutral one. The tires were mounted without damage to the wheel and feel fine on the road, but it took longer than estimated, cost more than the dealer or other tire shops I called, and nearly required a 90 minute round trip if I hadn't caught the TPMS issue.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Discount tire will also plug/patch your tire for free as well. Does not matter where you purchased them.

GTE will plug a tire for me for free.....but I have known Keiran since I was like 5 or 6 so ymmv.

Actually pretty much any major tire shop will do it for free these days.

They do this service for free in hopes of gaining your future business or incase they cant patch the tire and you buy a replacement from them.

Just a side note....Allpro is great shop but they are not a true tire shop. Sure they can do it but they would probably be the last place I would take tires to get mounted/balanced unless I lived/worked right next door. Almost like getting your suspension work done at NTB.

10. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

this. Everything else has been superb for me. They are understaffed for how much work they have so it may take a bit of time to get your car serviced, but when it is your turn they do a meticulous job.

11. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

It hasn't dissappeared, it was closed because it turned into an off topic drama session and hasn't been bumped in a year but it is still under the vendor reviews for your viewing pleasure. You dont even have to use the search function.

12. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

I ask because that would be an awesome deal free patch and free balance
    The saying of no free lunch holds true.
    So free patch ? - what do you do after that ? take the tire home and remount and balance it yourself ?

13. Allpro Subaru

Allpro Subaru Registered Vendor Supporting Member

Thank you for your comment and we apologize that you were not satisfied with your visit today.

If you need the sensors right away rather than mailing someone will deliver it to you tomorrow. Just Pm back so we can arrange it.

14. greenman100

greenman100 New Member

That is a very generous offer, indicative of the type of customer service I've read about here on the forum. However, shipping them is fine, thank you.

15. greenman100

greenman100 New Member

Those places remount the tire free of charge. If the rim and tire are marked before removal, and remounted accordingly, the the rebalance will be fast or possibly not needed at all.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  16. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Welp..crap..Hit post..and it didn't post..

So...trying again. - Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with AllPro...The good thing about bad reviews are you give them biz a chance to fix them, like AllPro has done. We are all human and it happens..
    As far as tire patch/rotate/balance I never take my car anywhere other than Discount Tire. IF the tire is able to be patched, its done for free - no matter where they're purchased from. As far as rotation/balance you get this the life of the tires - also for free. This is then backed by extremely exceptional customer service that you will find at each and every Discount Tire. They're appearance is also something you can tell they take pride in. Pride/Passion driven biz are very hard to come by, but almost always you receive nothing but the best, including AllPro.

17. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

I'm just a shade tree mechanic but I can see that being an honest mistake. The passion & expertise Brandon and the whole crew have for their craft is remarkable. I've had nothing but positive experiences and they have gone out of their way time and time again when I visit. This is why I travel from Carrollton to allpro when I need something done I can't handle. That being said they are a business and a business' sole purpose is to make money so I would expect to pay for services rendered

18. bugs0861

bugs0861 New Member

only bad thing i have heard.