Mike@TopSpeed’s CWP ’15 STi

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Mike@TSM, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

We've still got love for the GRs man!

I agree on the interior, but you really have to drive this thing.... the chassis/suspension improvements are pretty significant as well.

Thanks man! Haha, ya I think it's somewhere around 40-50ish... maybe more?

2. Western

Western Supporting Member

Would this happen to be yours?
    [​IMG]

I was going to post it on the Facebook page and see whose it was, but I saw the big TSM on the left rear window

3. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

It was me! That El Don place was awesome btw.

4. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

You are starting to make me question my choice of either DGM or Galaxy Blue.

5. Where was my invite to El Don!

Ass hole

6. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Already have 850 miles on the car... break in almost over!

7. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

Ha, you worse then I am.
    Although, I was stage 1 @ 13 miles and stage 2 @ 1400 miles LOL

8. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

:wiggle:

9. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

Must be nice!

10. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

You have Stoptech Trophys and Motons... I don't wanna hear it! lol

11. Matto357

Any updates Mike?

12. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Unfortunately not... other than already having 3,000 miles on it lol.

Still all stock for the moment; it's just been pretty crazy up here lately so we haven't had much time to focus on doing anything.

It is looking like we will be running it up to AMP in the next coming weeks to get a baseline on what she does stock so I should have some good updates then.

13. mothespaceman

mothespaceman Member

Congrats dude! I love the CWP.

I just picked my 15' STI up last week! :banana:

14. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Nice!! What color did you get? Are you coming to the dinner tonight?

15. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

holy car ADD!

16. mothespaceman

mothespaceman Member

I found out a little too late to make it, I really would love to make it to the next one though!

I picked up a lightning red limited! At first, I was a bit unsure of a bright red like that, but the more I look at it, the more I love it.

17. mothespaceman

mothespaceman Member

Indeed!

By the way, many a BRZ part for sale very soon, actually now... If you're lookin' for some thangs.

Anyway, /end threadjack!

18. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Well, it's been quite sometime since I've updated anything simply because there really hasn't been anything to update haha. The car is now @ 5,000 miles and is still 100% stock! I can't believe it's gone so long without getting any mods esepcially since I work here, but being busy at the shop with customer cars means those come first ;)

I will be heading to Roebling Road Raceway near Savannah this weekend for the cars first track day and I am super excited! Looks like the first mods she's gonna get are brake pads and fluid :). Since I'll be on street tires and the car is otherwise stock, I'm going to try out these Girodisc Street/Strip (SS) pads on the car to see how they do. Along with the pads, Motul RBF600 will be going in the car as well; and since it's time for an oil change, another round of Motul 8100 5w40 will go in.

[​IMG]

19. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted an update! As I'm most of you can imagine, we've been a bit slammed at the shop here because it's our busy season.

So here goes the update on the car... I had the car up on the lift some time ago to install a down pipe, do new colder plugs, and check the compression; we did the compression check and not the rest so I'm sure you can guess what we discovered ha! Unfortunately, one of the cylinders was down to 90psi so it seems that I'd been subject to the infamous piston ring land failure.

The original intention with this car was to improve on the great platform that Subaru had already put together so it was never my plan to make crazy power or anything and gear the build more towards the 400whp on 93 / mid 400s on E85 sort of power range, so that's what I'm doing now... just happened a lot sooner than I thought it would haha.

Here are the upgrades going in to the car:

Engine/Power:

TSM SS1 Short Block
    OEM Gasket Kit
    OEM Head Bolts
    OEM Timing Belt
    OEM Timing Belt Tensioner
    Killer B Motorsport Oil Pick Up Tube
    NGK one step colder plugs
    Group N Engine Mounts & Pitch Stop
    TSM turbo upgrade
    Grimmspeed EBCS
    Grimmspeed Up Pipe
    HKS Stainless EL Header
    Invidia Catless DP
    Perrin 2.4" Turbo Inlet Tube
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    IAG Billet TGV Deletes
    IAG 3mm Phenolic Spacers
    IAG Air Oil Separator - Competition
    TSM Ethanol Content Sensor & Fuel Pressure Regulator Kit (more on this later)
    TSM 1000cc Injectors
    Walbro 485 Fuel Pump w/ 12v wiring mod
    Cobb V3 AP

Drivetrain/Suspension/Brakes:

Competition Clutch Full Size Twin Disc
    Beatrush Transmission Mount
    Kartboy Shifter Bushings
    Whiteline Rear Diff Bushings
    Racecomp Engineering Yellow Springs
    Motorsport Tech 20mm Bolt On Spacers (street only)
    Girodisc SS Brake Pads
    Motul RBF600 Fluid

Currently, the engine is out and torn down & I am just waiting for the heads to come back form the machine shop for reassembly. Once it goes on the dyno I will have some more info as far as power goes. Until then, here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

already blew the rings? Who tuned that thing?! :p

21. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Ha! I think it has more to do with me driving the living crap out of this car... I mean, let's be honest, I bought the car knowing this would happen at some point.

22. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

That's what bothers me with today's Subarus. You will not find anyone who drove the 'crap' out of their cars harder than myself and Techlord.....and our old EJ205's lasted longer and made more power than most of the cars blowing ringlands today. I had 170,000 miles on my EJ205 before I pulled it.....and it was still running strong!

But looking forward to the build! I wanna see that car with Lucy's intake manifold on it finished up (the car beside yours in the shop pic with no engine in the bay)!

23. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Ya, it does kind of suck to buy a $40k car with the understanding that it very well may blow up soon ha. In my opinion you just trade one thing for another though, I'm not aware of anything else in a similar price range that offers what these cars do AND is bulletproof.

That's Justins car in the background (one of our techs) and that's actually a new manifold that is just based on the idea of Lucy's manifold with a few updates. That car should be awesome, custom front mounted Super 99 turbo, closed deck block, ported heads... thread coming soon.

24. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Ahem....pretty close if not better....lol

http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36325

25. Matto357

26. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

you jelly? I think you're jelly :banana:

27. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

28. wrxin8or

For the most part I agree with you. If I didn't have another vehicle that was more practical, I probably would have ended up with something with 4 doors instead of the GT.

That being said, the way that a few of the people on this site mod their 4 door cars (harness bar/cage/etc) you are essentially eliminating the back seat anyway...

29. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I wouldn't say most people put in cages and harness bars. That is the minority not the majority.

30. wrxin8or

...that's why I said "a few..."

31. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I'm looking forward to seeing what that turbo does Mike! Should be an awesome setup.

32. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Wait...did I miss something on the gear head rss feed or holy jalopnik? When did they start making a Mustang GT with AWD?
    The new coyote engine is awesome and if you can't admit that you're not a gear head, but more a fanboi. That being said I am firmly all in on the Subaru AWD camp threefold. No need for a coffin just bury me in my GD. Preferably later rather than sooner.

I'm really surprised they are still using the old EJ257 block in the STi. I would have expected a new FA variant by now.

Can't wait to see the results. What size turbo is the "TSM turbo upgrade" comparable to?

33. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

From talking to Mike about it a couple weeks ago, I believe he said it will be similar to a DOM 1.5

34. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

Btw I saw Justin's car the other day and that setup looks amazing!

35. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

I'm very excited to see what this thing does as well. I'm reluctant to offer a whole lot of details on the turbo until it actually goes through testing but we've geared the turbo to be similar to a DOM 1.5.

36. digitizedsoul

As if Justin beating me last year at the 1/2 mile with a Dom 1.5 wasn't enough, now this.

I want all my money back.

:D

Seriously, a super 99? Dude worse then me lol

37. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

LOL! Ya he's nuts...

38. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Coming along!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

39. digitizedsoul

Those TGV deletes are quite secsy, in-house?

40. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

iag

41. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

:wiggle::keke::wiggle::keke::wiggle::keke::wiggle::keke::wiggle:

42. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Sorry for the lack of updates... car is running and I have about 1500 miles on the new engine and turbo setup. Currently it's on E85 and makes 400 whp / 410 wtq @ 22psi, which I would consider pretty awesome power considering I still have the stock catback and tmic on the car lol.

I still have a few more little details to work out on the car and install a FMIC & catback then turn it up a little more. Also still need to wire in the wide band, ethanol content gauge and add oil temp and pressure.

I've got to say, for the power it's making the car drives so awesome; this is my daily driver that I put 70+ miles on every day. The clutch we put in this is a new Competition Clutch full size twin disk - it drives so well and has taken the beating of launches without even batting an eye; the best part is the pedal pressure is exactly like stock.

At the same time we did the engine build, I also installed a set of the Racecomp Engineering Yellow Springs, 20mm spacers from Motorsport-Tech, a knock off front lip, Whiteline Rear Diff Bushings, & Kart Boy Shifter Bushings

Now that I have some miles on the car, I'm just trying to pick the right weekend to head to the drag strip and see what she does. More details to come on that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

43. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Where's the dyno sheet?

44. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

I knew I was forgetting something lol! Rob's on the dyno right now so I'll grab it once he gets done.

45. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

I was able to get the exhaust installed and do back to back dyno runs (baseline before, pull the car off, install exhaust, put right back on the dyno) to see what kind of gains there would actually be from only upgrading the catback at the 400 whp level without any kind of tuning adjustments.

In the graph below, the red line is the stock exhaust and the green line is the HKS and, as you can see from the graph, there really isn't much difference at all! There are some gains up top in HP and a slight loss down low in torque on spool up so it's certainly a trade off.

[​IMG]

46. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Did you mean to say the green line is the HKS? Cause that is contradicting what you posted.

47. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

correct - ha! fixed :)

48. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Whoa it's been a long time since I've posted anything! lol. We've been super busy here and a lot has happened in a year. For that past year the car has been awesome - makes just over the 400whp mark and drives great; so I've decided to ruin it some more ha!

Believe it or not, despite being around these cars getting built everyday and seeing people try different setups, I STILL agonize over which mods I want to add or try next. The whole goal here with my car is to try new setups, or at least ones that are similar but not widely popular, so that we can then definitively quantify what setups make what power and offer those same setups to our customers (it also doesn't hurt that this is my daily so it's fun too ha). That said, our most popular setup is the upgraded stock location turbo (Cobb 20G or Blouch DOM1.5) paired with one of our SS1 Short Blocks & varying bolt ons mods; we see these setups usually range from the high 300s to just at 500 whp depending on the mods and which fuel it's on. I'm explaining all this to say that I wanted to expand on this kind of setup and really explore the end of that rabbit hole a little; so that's what I set out to do with this next round of upgrades.

Just because I enjoy pulling the engine out of my car and not driving it for a few months out of the year :rolleyes:, I decided to add the following:

GSC S2 Cams
    GSC Beehive Springs & Retainers
    GSC OE Sized Intake & Exhaust Valves
    Headgames Motorworks EJ Pocket Port
    ARP 625+ Head Studs
    JE Pro Seal Headgaskets
    Killer B Motorsports Oil Pan & Baffle (already had pickup installed)
    Killer B Motorsports 2 Bolt Holy Header
    Fluidampr Crank Pulley
    ETS Front Mount Intercooler
    TiAL BOV
    Visconti Tuning Speed Density Wiring Kit
    Shadow Auto Gauges - Oil Pressure & Oil Temp.

In addition the mods, I wanted to do some heat management things so I had the Cobb 20G turbine housing ceramic coated, wrapped the header & uppipe with DEI Titanium Heat Wrap, and got my hands on a DEI Titanium Turbo Blanket. I also had my intake manifold and intercooler piping powdercoated by Kickass Powdercoating.

Currently, I'm in reassembly mode putting the engine back in the car and adding some new goodies. Hopefully I'll have some good power numbers and dyno videos after the weekend. Until then, here are some progress pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drowland87 and benfrancis like this.
  49. digitizedsoul

Looks good Mike, I wondered what ever happened to your car haha.
    Very similar valvetrain components to what I ran. I was happy with it.
    It was LOL when I put the stock map back on it though with stock AVCS settings and the GSC S2's. Oh well. :)

50. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

lol I'm sure that ran grrreaaatt.