Western's '13 WRX STi "Sammie"

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Western, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Western

Western Supporting Member

Well, I been here a little while....Guess it's time to start the journal....Lol.
    2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STi in WRB....Base Model. Her name is Sammie. I haven't thought about a lot of serious mods quite yet, as she's still brand new (4K Miles currently), but I have thought about some minor interior and cosmetic mods. I'm one of those weird ones that thinks the Base wheels look really, really good, even better than the BBS Limited model wheels, so I'll probably be keeping those for a while. The only "mods" I have so far are the SPT Exhaust, which sounds fantastic, and the SPT Short Shifter kit.
    Before I get much further, here's some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CURRENT MOD LIST

Engine:
    Intake Silencer Delete
    SPT Axle-Back Exhaust
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    COBB Accessport Stage 1 93 Octane

Suspension/Brakes/Drivetrain:
    StopTech Stainless Steel Brakelines
    StopTech Brake Pads
    Motul Brake Fluid
    SPT Short Shifter
    Whiteline 24mm Adjustable Front Sway Bar
    Whiteline 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
    Whiteline Front Endlinks
    Whiteline Rear Endlinks
    Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit

Wheels and Tires
    18x9.5 Enkei NT06's (powdercoated black) +40 offset
    255/40 Michelin PSS

Exterior:
    Matte Black/Grey Headlight Surrounds
    TSX-r Clear Projector Lenses
    Projector "Color Mod"
    Headlight Amber Delete
    Tint(AZ Legal)
    Hella Supertones
    Chargespeed-Style Polyurethane Front Lip
    Perrin Super Shorty Antenna
    De-Badged Trunk
    Morimoto LED Switchback Front Turn Signals

Interior:
    STi-Badged Floor Mats
    Black and Red Cobb Knob

In The Garage
    WRB Color Matched Roof Spoiler
    Galvez Customs Canards
    CF Rear Bumper Spats
    Perrin Turbo Blanket
    Cobb Heat Shield
    Invidia Catted Downpipe
    JDM Third Brake Light

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  2. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

if you are thinking of interior upgrades, check out a local vendor on here: JPM coachworks

3. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

I think if you debadged the trunk except sti and/or subi emblem makes the rear look more better/cleaner/sleeker. I'm also a fan of your stock rims. Painting/powder coating them gold would be classic

4. Western

^That's definitely a good idea. My 01 Prelude was completely debadged and I loved the look. I'll definitely look into it.

5. Western

So, Right now I'm looking at these upgrades:

Front Lip from Subaru
    Boost Gauge
    Fog Lights
    Black Duracon Shift Knob
    A Blinker mod that I saw for the front turns....Don't know the name.
    Some name brand Touchscreen head unit with Navigation(wish I could get the Subaru one installed after the fact)

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Maybe consider the ebay knock off limited lips. You will cringe when you break the front oem lip.

Nice meeting you at C&O too

7. Western

Nice meeting you as well. Are the OEM Lips that fragile? I'm not planning on slamming it(Only slightly lowering, if at all). Is it snapping a common problem?

8. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

The front lip will definitely get scratched over time. If you run it against a curb while parking, its very likely to crack or tear it off :dunno

Edit* since its basically a "wear" item, i think people would rather buy a knock off that looks the same

9. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Nice car.

10. Western

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Let me know what you find out/decide concerning front lips. This is on my list of next mods too and was also going to go with the OEM. There are so many choices out there it is hard to tell what they will look like on the car.

12. Western

Will do man. By default I would always go with OEM, but if there's better quality out there, I definitely want to do that and not go cheap with any mods I do to the car.

13. Western

Trying to decide on my next mod:
    Boost gauge, OR

Fog lights ?

I want fog lights because of the massive amount of morning mountain driving I'll be doing this coming semester, but I would also at some point like to get a boost gauge. Which should be next?

14. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

I think both mods are great things to have but IMO fog lights are higher in priority. Visibility is always nice.

15. Western

Yeah it is!

16. Western

I knew I had a members journal. Nothing to add... But I have decided that a boost gauge is next, followed by some vinyl overlays, shift knob(Cobb, Perrin, or IGOTASTI), and then after the warranty expires and I have a bit more knowledge of engine management and tuning... Cobb AP.

17. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

thanks for helping with some activity on the forums!

18. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I really like those stock wheels. I didn't realize they looked that good. Are they 17" or 18"?

19. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

18x8

20. Western

I do as well...which is why I'm in no hurry to get new ones. Matt got to it before I did....18x8.

21. Western

Small update: Sammie went into Performance collision on Wednesday to get a new bumper. I should be getting her back tomorrow, and I will definitely throw up some before and after pictures of what happened when I do. Oil change and alignment will come after that, and then debadging the back.

22. Western

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. liltoua

liltoua Member

Should have bought a lip and got it all painted at the same time.

24. Western

Everyone's a critic...... :rofl: Yeah I wanted to. This place was only a collision repair place...they didn't do installs of things that weren't there before the damage happened. A front lip is among the couple of major exterior things that I'll be doing.

25. Western

After almost a full year of being completely stock, Sammie is finally getting her first 3 mods and the process of her Touge-focused build will begin!! Here they are:
    [​IMG]

26. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Install day!

27. Western

Yeaaaah buddy. Can't wait to get this all on and the headlights done!

28. Western

Well, Sammie the Subie is no longer Sammie the Stock Subie...LOL. I finally got the Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines and Stop Tech Brake Pads installed, and painted the headlight surrounds a lighter matte black/grey(depending on the light) and got completely clear lenses for the projectors! The mod bug hit a while ago, and I'm glad I am finally able to start modding my car so that she stands out at a Subaru meet/dealership/car show. Pictures:

Headlights before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OH MY GOD MY CAR IS BEING TORN APART!!!.....Just kidding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stainless Steel Brake Lines Installed:
    [​IMG]

Just for clarification, no she's not sitting on the wheels. There are four jack stands under there.

New Headlight Fad: No Surrounds! Who needs em anyway???
    [​IMG]

Kidding. Here's the Finished Headlight and Lens Product.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for checking my STi build out!

29. kaylee

kaylee New Member

Nice!!

30. bullyhatch

bullyhatch Member

Finally joining the dark side!!

31. Western

Finally, I agree! Also...Nice Pun.

32. Western

One more little mod: Blox Shift Knob: [​IMG]

For $30, I couldn't pass it up!

33. Matt

that's too honda looking for my liking. :\

34. Western

By Honda, you mean ricey? Or Honda as in.........Honda? It does remind me of the JTC Customs Shift Knob I had in my Prelude, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Im liking the way it feels right now. It's only $30, so if I decide I want something else like a Cobb Knob, I can do that no problem.

35. Matt

Honda Honda.

the S2k titanium knob: [​IMG]

36. Western

I'd say that's almost exactly the same. Lol. Depending on how the shift knob is when it gets cold outside, I might go with a Cobb Knob. Or go with a Cobb knob anyway and put some rags over it when I park. Lol.

37. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

I love the feel of any of the metal shift knobs but I will warn you that they are all terrible in the summertime

38. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Cobb FTW!

39. Western

Another small mod: Perrin Super Shorty Attenna. Yay no more radio-controlled car look.

[​IMG]

40. Western

New Mods:
    [​IMG]

Also ordered Whiteline 24mm Front Sway Bar, Whiteline 22mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar, Black/Red Cobb Knob, and Hella Supertones from the awesome folks at TougeFighter!

41. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

Because race car. Driving glove or first gen iPod cover solves this problem, winter and summer:)

42. Western

HUGE UPDATE here. This past weekend, I spent everyday working on my car installing some mods and doing some maintenance. First up was: Friday, I changed my oil for another round of Rotella T6. Then, with the help of a friend who had a drill, I installed my Front lip and gave her a yellow stuff Eco Auto Clean Wash.

[​IMG]

Saturday: The folks at TougeFighter hooked me up with a great deal on Whiteline 24mm Adjustable Front Sways, Whiteline 22mm Adjustable Sway Bar, along with a set of Hella Supertones, and a black and red Cobb Knob to replace my current Blox one. The Shift Knob is apparently on back order, so it'll be a minute before I get it. Once I do I'll throw pictures up. So Saturday I went over and Dana installed the Sways and Hellas, and did a Hella job on both. While it was in the air, I figured it was time to rotate the tires, so I did that while he was finishing up my rear sway bar(The rear sway bar is no easy task on the GV Sedans, perhaps made worse by the SPT Exhaust I have). Anyway, here are some pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for checking my Sloooooow Touge build out!

43. Western

The Cobb Knob got here sometime in the last two days. Anyway, here's it and a much better shot of the lip and hellas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone knows anyone looking for a weighted shift knob, let me know :)

44. J-Rad

J-Rad New Member

How hard was the headlight painting? I've seen the dark ones before, and thought it was a factory option, or something only for the white wrx/sti's, but I've always thought they looked bad ass! If it wasn't a crazy pita, that may be a summer project for myself...

45. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Front end looks great! I need to order some hella's. Also want that exact cobb knob. Which front lip is that?

46. Western

Actually, for the 11-12's they came with black housings from the Factory. For 13-14 I guess they decided they needed to change something so they went with Chrome housings instead. I haven't met anyone who really, really liked the Chrome. LOL. It wasn't too hard, but then again I had Dana do it who knows what he's doing. I helped a little, but he did the majority of the work. If you're unsure of it, definitely hit up Dana Palmer/TougeFighter. They do great work.

Thanks man! Yeah I liked the Blox Knob, but I liked the look and feel of the Cobb Knob(I tried Chip's out...I think it was his)more. Now that I've got it in all I want to do is drive. I can't wait to try it out on a Mountain run. The lip is an STi Style replica(Looks like to me, anyway) Polyurethane Lip. Pretty easy to install...Just put a bunch of screws in all of the holes it has for them and bam, lip installed.

47. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Sweet. I got one waiting to install that I got off amazon. CS1 I think. I havent gotten underneath the car yet but it came with a ton of screws, did you drill any holes?

48. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

I think Dana has you set up just right for the GR chassis for now with your whiteline selections [they would be equivalent to the GD setup Jeff and I run; and most similar to the bar settings I like for versatility of use and a great platform to build from. As I mentioned on FB there are some simple refinements you can work on to get the most out of this.

49. Western

Thanks Chip. I need to get with you to discuss those things. I'm probably doing a Dragon trip on Sunday, assuming the weather's good, and I'd love to get it tuned in before I hit the Dragon.

50. Western

Pinstripe Done:
    [​IMG]

Aaaand more suspension parts. As usual, many thanks to TougeFighter for the awesome deal on these. Can't wait to get these installed.
    [​IMG]
    Whiteline Front and Rear Endlinks and Whiteline Anti-lift kit