Downpipe 14mm nut

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by LoveMyNewSoob, Sep 12, 2015.

1. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Hey everyone,
    Quick question, that will probably sound pretty dumb, but I wanted to check with the experts. So I was under the car finally removing a piece of factory heat shield that i had accidentally left on when installing the DP (i think it has been finally rattling) and I noticed that one of the nuts for the down pipe (on the underside of the DP) is missing. Can i just get a 14mm from home depot to replace, or does it have to be some special nut?
    (this also my explain that fluttering i get at highway speed when I go from normal speed to full acceleration)
    Thanks for your response.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

it can be any nut. thread pitch should be 12x1.25.

3. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Thanks Matt. Read somewhere else it was 10x1.25, so I picked up those...didn't work and the flange was to big. Just went to SoK and got one there. Seems to be good now, and no more rattle from stock heat shield!

4. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Can you clarify if its a 12 or a 10? I'm also missing one on my DP.

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

OEM flanged nut will be M10x1.25 which uses a 14mm wrench, most garden variety aftermarket sourced nuts will use a 17mm wrench. If missing the bottom nuts, go with OEM because getting a 17mm wrench in that tight space with aftermarket downpipe can be a bitch

6. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

hmmm...the one i got from HD was still 14mm wrench...it wouldn't thread on though and the flange was to big.
    You are correct though, the one that goes under the bend of the down pipe is a real PIA. The only thing i could get on it was vice grips. I read somewhere else too that the OEM are heat treated as well if that make any difference Trancetto. I think they were like $3 each at Subaru (i picked up two just in case :drool: )