Mr. Smith's 2008 WRX

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Tank, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Tank

Tank Member

Well I am finally the owner of a WRX. I just picked it up last Thursday out in Cartersville and I can say it was well worth the trip. This car is fun to drive and easy to love. As with any car it can eat money but this one will receive very few modifications but the ones that I will end up doing will be tastefully done. As far as I know there are no modifications done to this car other than the OE wheels are blacked out and there has been window tint installed. I'm not looking to do anything drastic to the car. Brake upgrade first (rotors and upgraded pads), and a little bit of a stance job. Cobb Access port and maybe an intake and exhaust.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

Too bad those older wrxs didn't have the STI widebody treatment.

Have fun getting to know it. Is this your first subaru?

3. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Congrats! You don't really need to worry about an intake unless you plan to go well over 350hp.

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

congrats and welcome! Like what wagunz said...intake is pointless. invest that money in more suspension

5. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

welcome aboard!
    Joe

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

color match all the chrome bits and debadge, they look pretty damn good then

7. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I like the sport grill on your '08 compared to the stock one. Looks like a nice clean car. I sort of like the non flared fenders, but I'm a little biased owning a 2009 myself. I drove much further for mine (Dayton, OH), so you didn't do bad at all.

8. Tank

Tank Member

This is my first Subaru I have wanted one for a long time. I was in Australia the first time I got to ride in one. This was about 4 or 5 years before they imported them to the US. I was there for a business trip and he drove to dinner. It was raining outside and he pulled out in the street. Came to a stop suggested that I lean my head back against the headrest. He brought the revs up and dumped the clutch. The car squatted down and took off like a rocket.

Trust me guys I will listen to your suggestions so keep them coming. I really would like to improve the brakes more than anything. There is nothing wrong with them but I would like them to be a little more aggressive. I think a better set of rotors and a more aggressive brake pad along with some stainless steal brake lines will do the trick. I'm hoping that it won't take a big brake kit to get what I'm after. Now I just have to sell my 95 240sx so I can get the brake setup done.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  9. whitepony22

whitepony22 Member

Nice looking car. Came from 240atl? Welcome. But take it from me, Subarus are far more costly than a 240sx lol.

10. Tank

Tank Member

You may be right but this one will not require me to go from na to turbo and pray for it to work. I have seen your post on 240atl or someone is using the exact same user name. lol On 240atl I'm Tank. I blew the bottom end on the ka and the wife said enough so that car has got to go. I will be posting a for sale thread on there for that car. I still wish I could keep it but I have to recoupe some money so it has got to go. This car will see very few if any real changes. Brake upgrades will definitely happen, a set of wheels, a little something to close the gap in the wheel wells and most likely a Cobb Access Port and that will be the end of the mods for the WRX.

11. whitepony22

whitepony22 Member

Same username on pretty much every forum I'm on. But good luck with the WRX. I'm sure with those things you'll be enjoying it for sure.

12. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Nice car! Are you sure it doesn't have aftermarket springs already? That thing looks low... I think it sits good how it is. Unless you want a tooth rattler...

13. b reel

b reel Active Member

just leave it to suspension, brakes, cosmetic mods and don't push the revs or do any clutch dumps. You'll be tempted to eat a bullet after you see the replacement bill because there is rarely a repair bill.

14. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I also highly recommend JPM Coachworks for interior upgrades. Maybe a new shift boot, ebrake or even carbon fiber dash trim.

15. Tank

Tank Member

Well last week I dropped of the car at Subaru of Gwinnett to have the free oil change done and to have them diagnose a rubbing/scraping noise I was hearing. The noise occurred when turning left or right in moderate to high speed cornering. Well the oil change went without issue but they found that the axels were leaking where they go into the (as they stated it) transmission. They stated that repairing that would not be covered by the factory warranty that is still on the car because someone had to pull them and then improperly reinstall them to cause this issue. On top of that they had not determined what was causing the noise.

I was not happy about them trying to tell me that I was going to have to pay to have the axel issue addressed and I still needed to know what was causing the rubbing/scraping noise I was hearing. The diagnostic for rubbing/scraping noise was $100 for two hours of course it was going to take more time than that so I negotiated $150 total for that. I also call Subaru of North America because just having purchased a car with warranty I was not expecting to have to pay for something that should be covered. Before I bought the car from Honda Carland North they had the car inspected by Subaru of Kennesaw and they had done a brake job on it and swapped out the front struts.

I did get a call from Subaru of North America letting me know that everything would be covered under warranty except the diagnostic that was done. In the end the oil change was done, right front wheel bearing was replaced, and the rubbing/scraping noise I was hearing was resolved. What they were able to find out during the paper work investigation was that the previous owner of the car had the clutch replaced at 2000 miles and after finishing up the work that was done at Subaru of Gwinnett they have determined that there is now and aftermarket clutch in the car but it is functioning without issue.

Well all of the issues have been addressed and I only had to pay the $150 diagnostic fee. I just hope that there are not any other major issues lurking in the near or not so distant future. Now back to enjoying my car.

16. Tank

Tank Member

Ok I'm back to posting but I'm sure no one really cares. I have been keeping up the maintenance and driving the car and that is all. Things change and I'm selling my 240sx. I don't really want to but I have learned a lot from building that car and have an RB25 swapped in. Once I get the money I know what I want done on this car and still it will not be much: Brakes, Coilovers, Wheels, Exhaust and a stereo upgrade.

This time I'm going for a more pure ride. If anyone has any suggestions on any of the items that I have mentioned please post them I would really like to know what works. I know that I want brakes first I like to get bigger ones that I would hope would have less fade to them. Are the Fortune Auto 500 or the BC Racing BR type coilovers any good? I'm struggling with wheel choices as even the RP01 18x8 seem to still only support a narrow tire 225/40/18 and I would like a bit more meat on them then that. Then there is the exhaust I just can't hear this car at all. I don't need to be heard from a mile away but I would like to know a little more about what the engine is doing other than watching the tach. Let me know guys your input will be appreciated.

17. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

18. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

I have the fortune autos with the swift spring upgrade. So far I love them. They ride great, and the car does well in the twisties. As far as exhaust, I was in the same boat with this car. My old sti was catless and straightpiped. Sounded awesome but was obnoxious after time. This time I went with a catted dp (invidia) and I love how it sounds with the invidia exhaust.

19. Tank

Tank Member

I have done a little investigating of the Invidia exhaust sounds like a good bet. And the Fortune Autos should like they will work for me. Now I just need to figure out this wheel fitment and I'll be set.

20. Tank

Tank Member

I think I found the answer to my questions for wheels and maybe a little more:

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX - Back In Black Again

Read more: http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/project-car/modp-1011-2008-subaru-impreza-wrx/

Specs & Details
    '08 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Engine Subaru EJ25 2.5-liter horizontally opposed 4-cylinder
    Engine Management COBB AccessPORT
    Drivetrain Stock
    Suspension TEIN Super Street coilovers; Super Pro polyurethane bushings; Whiteline Automotive polyurethane steering rack bushings, front lower subframe brace, front bumpsteer tie-rod outer ends, roll center adjusters, front control arm ball joints, rear antiroll bar brace
    Interior STI shift knob
    Wheels, Tires & Brakes Volk CE28N 18x8" +44mm wheels; Yokohama Advan Sport Tires 235/40R18; stock brakes; Hawk HPF pads
    Numbers 266 hp & 305 wtqc

21. Tank

Tank Member

Well it took me long enough but I'm ordering some wheel for my car today XXR 530 18x8.75 in gold. A little flashy but I've seen a couple of pictures of black wrx wagons with the same wheel (size and color) and I like it. That is the look I'm after and I didn't really want to spend $2k or more just on wheels. I have already changed out the head unit for a bluetooth one so I don't have to hold the phone to my ear every time I get a call.

22. Tank

Tank Member

No just could not do the XXR. The offset just did not sound right so I'm looking at the Rota DPT (Gold or Bronze) 18x8.5 +48 to run 245/40/18 tire. Waiting on the quote from www.wheeldude.com.

23. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

^ solid choice.

Surprisingly enough, Enkei wheels aren't much more than Rotas are.

24. Tank

Tank Member

You are right but I'm just not happy with the styles that they currently have to offer. I had a set on Enkei wheels on my Maxima and I really liked them but I sold them long ago. They would look good on the WRX but the are no more. I think I'm going to go with the DPT unless I find something I like equally as well one one of the Subaru forms. Someone on WRXAtlanta has some Gram Lights I'm eyeballin.

25. Tank

Tank Member

Just ordered these wheels this morning but not quite as wide as what is on this car (For some reason I can't seem to attach any pics): http://www.wheeldude.com/wdg/_detail.php?pic=8955

Rota SVN 18x8.5 +48 and I'm going to run a 245/40/18 tire. Right now the suspension is completely stock. Next up is likely going to be some adjustable sway bars.

26. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

thats a good wheel/tire fitment that you went with IMO, shouldn't need any fender work and nice and functional.

27. Tank

Tank Member

Thanks! I was thinking to get the fenders rolled anyway. Then I can get the sway bars and a set of springs. I would go with coilovers but everyone seems to say don't do it. This is not show car this is a driver but for the few autocross events per year that I will try to make most seem to think springs should do the trick. I'm open to suggestions as I'm coming up from a heavily modified 240sx to the WRX and I liked the coilovers I had in my 240.

Note for self: http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/project-car/modp-1011-2008-subaru-impreza-wrx/

28. Tank

Tank Member

For what ever reason I cannot post pictures but My Rota SVNs just came in today. I hope to have them on the car by Monday. 18x8.5 Hyper Black. So begins the madness.

29. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Coilovers are nice, but you can have great handling for a lot less. The cheap coilovers you get what you pay for. RCE black springs and Bilstein struts will make you smile.

30. Tank

Tank Member

31. zugu

zugu New Member

Where are you planning to get the fenders rolled?

32. Tank

Tank Member

I'm going to have to look into where to get that done. I had a friend get his done at the Kaufman Tire on Old Norcross by Gwinnett Place Mall. I saw the work and it looked fine but I just don't know. Research, research, research. I'll let you know when and where I get it done.

33. zugu

zugu New Member

Appreciate it, I need to get mine done as well.

34. Wycked304

Wycked304 New Member

I had mine done at AllPro and they did a great job!!

35. Tank

Tank Member

How much did they charge you over there at AllPro. Sorry I know I could call them but...
    _______

Topic change: I have found that the 08 WRX suspension seems to be a bit soft. I have had the wheel and tire combo (wheel 18x8.5 +48 tire 245/40/18) on the car for less than a week and I have gone through a couple of spots that have compressed the suspension enough to cause it to rub. I might still the old wheels and tires back on until I can get the fenders rolled. I'm also looking for a good set a springs and someone suggested the RCE springs (http://www.racecompengineering.com/...ngs/regular-guy-black-springs-for-09-wrx.html). I'm going to have make a decision on those because the write up on it states that 08 WRX owners are going to need to get new struts/shocks and if I have to buy that I might as well look at coilovers.

36. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

I had global alliance in Lawrenceville roll the fenders on my 08. They did a great job and are super nice guys. I wanna say it was 20-25 per corner.

37. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

I think the guys at global alliance are awesome! they have been super nice to me and extremely thorough with working with me on aligning my STI. They still warranted the alignment despite me telling them i'm going to be doing Autocross and hopefully track days. Which came in handy because I had them check the alignment and they corrected it after hitting a heavy compression at an autocross event for free.

38. Tank

Tank Member

Well I guess I know where to go and I live in Lawrenceville so this will work out well for me. Thanks guys!

39. Tank

Tank Member

So it has been quite some time since I last posted anything about my ride. The last thing I did was a set of wheels and they make the car look so much better. I was a little disappointed with the way the stereo sounded so I upgraded the head unit and because I did not have a boat load of money to spend on a new head unit I bought a Sony Bluetooth single din unite to replace the stock one. That made a big difference in the sound but what I would like to know is what brand of speakers does Subaru use as the stock units. They really sound good with the additional power provided by an aftermarket stereo.

I have been buying parts to complement what is already there so over the past year I have been buying parts that I would use to install a subwoofer. As of this past weekend I can say job done. I have done the installation myself and found it was really easy based on the way Subaru put these cars together. I built a custom sealed sub box that is 1.7 cubic feet, just a little over the suggested size indicated by the sub manufacturer. Thanks to my cousin I got my sub as a gift, Alpine 10 inch Base Line sub. Although it was not my goal to get a 1000 watt amp but for the $73 I spent Fry's had a Crunch 1000.2 (2 Channel amp) that I'm using to power the sub. Now that it is all installed I think the last thing that I will do will be to get a crossover to pull most of the base out of the door speakers in the car. I doubt many of you will have questions about how it was done but if you do just ask. Here are some pics:

40. Tank

Tank Member

So it has been quite some time since I last posted anything about my ride. The last thing I did was a set of wheels and they make the car look so much better. I was a little disappointed with the way the stereo sounded so I upgraded the head unit and because I did not have a boat load of money to spend on a new head unit I bought a Sony Bluetooth single din unite to replace the stock one. That made a big difference in the sound but what I would like to know is what brand of speakers does Subaru use as the stock units. They really sound good with the additional power provided by an aftermarket stereo.

I have been buying parts to complement what is already there so over the past year I have been buying parts that I would use to install a subwoofer. As of this past weekend I can say job done. I have done the installation myself and found it was really easy based on the way Subaru put these cars together. I built a custom sealed sub box that is 1.7 cubic feet, just a little over the suggested size indicated by the sub manufacturer. Thanks to my cousin I got my sub as a gift, Alpine 10 inch Base Line sub. Although it was not my goal to get a 1000 watt amp but for the $73 I spent Fry's had a Crunch 1000.2 (2 Channel amp) that I'm using to power the sub. Now that it is all installed I think the last thing that I will do will be to get a crossover to pull most of the base out of the door speakers in the car. I doubt many of you will have questions about how it was done but if you do just ask.

41. Tank

Tank Member

Sub Pics

Attached Files:

42. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Nice! Car audio installs are always fun :)

43. Tank

Tank Member

Okay let the flaming begin! I did what everyone says not to do so I know I'm going to get flamed for it but I wanted to try it out so I did this knowing that things may not turn out as well as I hoped. I bought some eBay junk as everyone likes to call it, I bought a 3 inch exhaust for $250. Lol! Well it was supposed to be a $442 dollar 3 inch exhaust with a current discount to $250 and a 30 day money back guarantee.

Well the box gets to the office and I take it to the warehouse to check it out, and you know I had a ruler to make sure everything was what they said it was. You guessed it this was not a 3 inch exhaust but it was a 2.5 inch exhaust. I know you get what you pay for, so I called the company that was a eBay Top Rated, and let them know that the product as not as advertised. 3 days later I put in a complaint with eBay as I had not received a response from the seller. 3 more days and I called the seller to let them know I was dissatisfied with the product and I wanted to know what they were going to do about the issue. They said that they would check to see if they packaged the wrong product in the box and to make sure the shipment of exhaust systems that came in from the manufacturers was all wrong. Well of course the entire shipment of exhaust systems is wrong (I'll bet money they don't even manufacture a 3 inch exhaust system).

So they said that they would be happy to send me a return label for the exhaust and refund my money. Well I was not totally dissatisfied with what I was looking at so I made them a counter offer, refund $100 of the money I spent and we can call it even or at least everyone will be happy at this point. The the rep said that they had to speak to their manage first. Two days later I had to call back and I got the same response I have to speak to my manager. Three days later I call back with the intent to tell them to send me the shipping label so that I can get a refund. I end up speaking with a different person, someone a little higher up the food chain and I explain the situation. The immediately apologize, explain that the person that I was working with no longer works for the company and that they will be happy to refund me $100 dollars and it should appear on my credit card (I have a special credit card for web/eBay purchases) in 3 to 5 days.

So I have the exhaust and basically I bought it for $150 now it is time to get it installed and see what the fitment is like and how it sounds. I will do a few quick vids of before and after and post some pics.

44. Tank

Tank Member

Here are some pics of the exhaust:

IMG_6022.JPG IMG_6023.JPG IMG_6024.JPG IMG_6025.JPG IMG_6027.JPG IMG_6026.JPG IMG_6028.JPG IMG_6030.JPG IMG_6029.JPG

45. Wycked304

Wycked304 New Member

So curious to see how this fits up and what it sounds like!!!

Sidenote: that is a stellar slot car track!!!!

46. jahjahSQC

jahjahSQC New Member

Very cool. I is it supposed to bolt up to the stock exhaust?

47. Tank

Tank Member

Well this turned out way better then most people would expect. I had a lot of things to do today so I did not take the pictures that I wanted to take so I will provide those a soon as possible.This exhaust connects to the stock system with no problem and the fitment is above good but not excellent because I can always find something wrong. The longest length of pipe gradually slops down toward the rear but not so much that most people would notice. I also noticed that he tips are not both the exact same distance from the lower valence in the back there is about a half inch difference. So it fits will and does not contact anywhere under the car and it fits on the factory rubber hangers. It did come with all of the necessary nuts/bolts and gaskets.

Now on to the most important part how does it sound. Well I may be a bit different than most I didn't want something that would announce my arrival before I actually get there. This exhaust is exactly what I was looking for in that I can finally hear the car and what it is doing. I'm sure that most of you know that the 2008 WRX was a completely silent car therefore I hated that lack of sound. The exhaust does not scream at WOT, does not drown at lower speeds or on the highway so I'm very happy. It was the best $150 I could ever have spent. I think it's worth the $250 I originally paid but they messed up not me and yest if it was the 3 inch exhaust they advertised it might have been even better.

Here is a picture of the exhaust from the eBay sale. Mine did not come with the gold/brass colored badges and I'm actually glad about that. Mine is a gunmetal gray not black and I'm glad about that also. I think I'm going to be very happy with my purchase. I'll post a video one Monday or Tuesday.

god snow is on the gold/brass colored badges .

[​IMG]

jahjahSQC likes this.
  48. Tank

Tank Member

Oh yeah the slot car track is 1/32 scale and it's at work. A few of us like to get away from our desk at lunch time. I go to the track at Sugarloaf Mills when I can.

49. Tank

Tank Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  50. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Is that train track shown beneath the exhaust for trains or assembly/packing?

J_P likes this.