Traffic ticket

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mad Mallard, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

I havent had a ticket in over 15 years, and i just got levied a 52 in a 35.

at what cost threshold does one typically need a lawyer?

2. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

I'm no lawyer but here are some things to consider:

- Depending on the county, it may be possible to talk to the solicitor (I think that's what they call them) and argue/plead your case and have them reduce the amount over - if it was DeKalb, forget it

- Your age will work in your favor

- The length of time it's been since you were cited will also work in your favor, though previous traffic-related incidents will be taken into consideration as well

The (relatively speaking) good thing is that you were <20 over. I'm not sure how much that ticket is going to cost you, but typically an attorney of any decent caliber will charge $750-1000 flat-rate to handle something of this nature. Though, depending on the attorney, they may tell you to "just pay it". From what I've seen, most lawyers offer a free consultation (over the phone or in-person).

Ultimately, I'd be more worried about how your insurance company is going to handle it. If you've been with the same company a while, and it's (obviously) been a while since you had an infraction, they may not increase your premium. Some insurers, however, are not that friendly and may seize the opportunity to bump your rate sky high.

3. Mad Mallard

my primary concern is that all the vehicles in the house are under my coverage now, so insurance cost is paramount.

this took place in Sandy Springs Municipality, known since it incorporated.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  4. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

No lawyer needed. Plead your case to a prosecutor (if allowed). With a good driving record, they might reduce it, resulting in a lesser fine

5. Mad Mallard

I can't deal in 'might's' for this.

an increase in %10 of my insurance costs will SERIOUSLY hurt my household.

my first encounter with a court ticket when I was 18, the court was hostile and wouldn't have any of it. I was dressed, I had no other infractions, and it wasn't a flagrant issue it was a driving mistake.

6. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Just plead NOLO in court and see if the judge accepts it. Considering that you most likely never used NOLO before, it will work and no points will go against your license. But it would go on your record which may result in insurance going up. I would strongly suggest consulting with a professional. Most of them are buddy buddy with the judges and see each other every day.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  7. FACE

FACE Active Member

I would save my NOLO God forbid I ever really needed it. With this I would just dress the part again and pray that the judge is having a good day. Good luck my friend.

8. Justin V

Justin V Member

I'd call your insurance company as "Joe Schmoe" shopping around for insurance and ask them what their forgiveness policy is.

9. FACE

FACE Active Member

^^^ not a bad idea

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

15+ equals 2 points on your driving record. Get a copy of your MVR and call to see if you can schedule face time with the city attorney. DO NOT give an excuse of ignorance or distraction in your plead to knock it down. If that fails then try your chance with the judge, sometimes you get lucky.

11. techlord

techlord Active Member

unfortunately if you cannot risk the potential rate increase you have to use your nolo which you have available to you every 5 years. Personally I would never use it on something as such I would find a way to have it reduced to 14 over so it wont affect your insurance rates.
    fake a receipt where you just forked out cash to return your wheels to stock because the uber pimp wheels had your speedo all out of whack. Worked for me with a tire calculator print out to show MPH difference.
    or
    take a defensive driving course (they don't like to accept the online courses but WILL accept them if you demand it)there is a ga statute somewhere that says they MUST reduce incident and associated fine.

Last...QUIT BREAKING THE LAW!!! LOL

12. orndog

orndog Member

Somebody explain this NOLO thing to me...

13. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

14. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Hell of a tire/wheel to make it 17 mph over.

Does GA have a faulty equipment plea? I got pulled in a speed trap for going 70 in a 55 in NC a few years back (speed dropped from 70 to 55 and I didn't see the sign due to a tractor trailer right beside me). They allow one faulty equipment plea every 3 years. No points, no record, just pay the full fine. $275 and I was on my way.

15. orndog

orndog Member

16. techlord

techlord Active Member

I agree but to get to 14 over can be pulled off...easily.

Look, they only want THEIR revenue. I go in with the attitude that I fucked up and want to pay their fine and support my LOCAL gov't protective services, but I don't want to pay dearly every month for the next 3+ years to the insurance scam.

Oh, the tire calculator worked for me in cobb @ 28 over. Marietta, Cobb, Atlanta are fairly easy. Gwinett county SUCKS, be prepared to spend all day but the judges I've had always seem to see my point in the end.

17. TURBOH4

TURBOH4 Member

Trying to predict how the legal system is going to react to your case is much like trying to predict the weather; there's an educated guess but really, all bets are off.