Shift knob

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by orndog, Feb 3, 2016.

1. orndog

orndog Member

I don't know if this is really off topic, but it's for a 2010 Fozzie non-turbo....
    Back when I had an Impreza I swapped the rubber manual trans shift knob for a leather WRX knob. The 2010 Foz Premium has the light colored cloth seats and light colored rubber knob - ugh. It's a stick, and I'd like to get a factory leather knob in the matching light color, I'm not a fan of the aftermarket and ball knobs. Searching for a Forester shift knob does not turn up what I want, does anybody know right off how I can find this item? For reference, here is a pic of what's in there now, I want an oem knob of this color...

[​IMG]

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

Dia and thread pitch should be the same

3. orndog

orndog Member

Yeah, as I just ordered the Kartboy shifter I hope so lol. Where's a good place to get the knob in question though?

4. orndog

orndog Member

Tom (Kartboy) confirmed that threads are the same. I ordered the knob from a '13 Crosstrek as that is the one the wife preferred.
    I have a problem... I also ordered a wheelskins steering wheel wrap, redline goods shifter boot and e-brake boot, Kartboy shifter and bushings, homelink mirror, and of course maintenance supplies.

5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

the real problem was ordering from redline. :|

6. orndog

orndog Member

Why is that?
    orndog hasn't modded a car interior beyond speakers and head unit (and a shift knob) in.... well never. What's wrong with redline?

7. Matt

JPM Coachworks in Smyrna can handle re-wrapping a leather shift knob in just about any color.

they rewrapped mine:

[​IMG]

They can also get a shift boot and ebrake boot and the quality will be a helluva lot better than redline. AND you'd be supporting a local company. ;)

8. orndog

orndog Member

While your knob looks nice (things I never thought I'd say for a thousand Alex), I don't want to match the crappy vinyl stock boot, nor do I want to wrap the crappy rubber stock knob :rofl:
    Also, they didn't advertise doing Fozzie boots on their site :confused: I researched available items and picked the best quality for price from those vendors that advertised making Forester parts.

9. Matt

the forester and impreza interior is the same. They can likely take a wrx boot and modify it.

Also, one of the owners of JPM is also the president of this community (Alex). :p

They can do all kinds of things not listed on their site.

10. orndog

orndog Member

Sorry Alex, yell at Matt for not responding sooner :p
    I assumed the stick itself on a Forester would be longer than an Impreza, maybe they could just make the boot longer, who knows. Next time I buy a car I'll check with them first. Maybe they can wrap the auto-knob on my Leggy.

11. Matt

I hope the quality of redline has increased, but I don't think it has. the leather they use is a lower quality (IMO) and their quality control is terrible.

this is what they list on their site, which is a joke

[​IMG]

Stitching isn't straight, the embroidery is just what the fuck...

more garbage they pass off on being "quality" http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35256&stc=1&d=1367017190

fitment is pretty bad as well

http://s38.photobucket.com/user/orw...g wheel and CF parts/06WRXshiftboot1.jpg.html

12. orndog

orndog Member

Dash looks like ass. Guess I'll be the guinea pig on the new boot quality.

13. orndog

orndog Member

Boot quality is quite nice. Two problems, one just being leather is thicker than the factory paper-thin vinyl and made parts harder to get back together, I did some extra trimming. The other... the tabs from the OEM boot had holes that caught on clips on the trim ring, the tabs on the Redline boot do not. No big deal as I was gluing everything anyway.
    I realized later I should have bought the short-shifter version, but the extra material doesn't look bad on the short shifter.