On the Dyno at TSM!

Discussion in 'TopSpeed Motorsports' started by Taylor@TSM, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

I wanted to post this thread so you guys could see some of the things that roll through TSM on a daily/weekly basis. Obviously we can’t post a thread about every single tune that comes through, but I can throw up before and after graphs as well as some dyno pics in this thread so everyone can keep abreast of our day to day in and out style tunes. Thats right…I said abreast, deal with it LOL

I also though it would give you guys a chance to see a little more completely what all we do here as well as maybe give the community some ideas for their cars. Not only that, but maybe it will spur some conversation that may help you guys with your modding path. Plus lets face it... it's advertising as well :)

So if you are interested in seeing some more day to day stuff that rolls on and off the TSM dyno then check back... basically, if we see it and it looks cool I'm gonna post it. Know that the pictures may be cell phone pics unedited because we don't take full media pictures on a daily basis, but I'm sure you guys will forgive me. I will do my best to keep this updated as often as possible, and please feel free to ask any questions you have as well!

Hope you guys enjoy! Thanks as always for the support! I will start posting updates ASAP.

2. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Awesome! This should be cool.

3. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

sweet, would give people a great spot to check in and see what cars are putting down

4. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Sweet. Lets make it a guessing game.

You post pictures without dyno graphs and we try to guess the number. You don't reveal the number until your next dyno car....yes I am very bored at work.

5. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Here is an STi we recently had on the dyno. This long time TopSpeed customer brought his car in for a brand new Killer B equal length header and a retune to go along with it.

The setup consists of the following:

TSM SS1 shortblock
    S1 cams with valve springs & retainers
    Dom 1.5 10cm turbo
    Killer B EL header + 3" turboback exhaust
    ETS TMIC
    TSM 1150cc Injectors w/walbro 485 pump
    E85

24.5 psi tapering to 23 by redline.
    461whp/453wtq

The S1 cams coupled with the 10cm housing and Killer B header make for a powerband that carries hard all the way to the 7400 rpm rev limiter! The slightly later spool of the larger housing and cams is a very small price to pay for the way this car pulls through the whole rpm range. This car is a riot on the street :)

[​IMG]

3rd gear dyno pull

[​IMG]

6. lilsanch

lilsanch Member

Love it. That is a stout power band.

7. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

This 2016 STi made the trip from Florida to have have us install some go fast goods and top it off with a tune using the V3 AccessPort. It came in all stock and left with some new found power :)

The car got the following:

Cobb intake
    3" downpipe
    ID1000cc injectors + Walbro 485 pump

302whp/347wtq on our AWD Dynojet on 93 octane pump gas.

Picture as I was pulling it off the dyno

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

^^^1000cc injectors....must be preparing for E85?

9. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Either that and/or a possible turbo upgrade in the near future. They are still deciding on what to add next!

10. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Do you know wheel setup of the white 2010 STi?

11. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

I believe the wheels are Advan RG3's, but I'm not sure on the width or offset.

12. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

This 2010 WRX was a long time Subaru owner's first turbo'd Subaru! He bought it with a few parts on it, and brought it in for us to verify the health of the car and to assess the modifications that were previously done to it. After a healthy compression test and the install of a 3 port boost control solenoid we got him hooked up with a new Cobb V3 AccessPort and put it on the dyno for a tune that should bring him enjoyment for years to come :)

Modifications:

3" turboback exhaust
    Process West top mount intercooler
    DW 1000cc injectors + walbro 255 pump
    3 port EBCS

Final numbers were 281whp/334wtq on 93 octane pump gas. 18 psi tapering down towards redline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

Dat TTTC tho...

(Tiny Turbo Torque Cliff)

14. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

It begs for more turbo! :hs: Just had to make it hold up top the best I could!

Just wait until I post up the next car later today!!! Some HUGE Dom 1.5 figures!

15. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

This 2011 STi is FLEXING! Flex fuel, that is. (Ok maybe flexing its muscles a bit too ;) )

This is a build we recently finished up that came back for final tuning after break-in. With the efficiently flowing setup on this car I knew it was going to make some good power, but was surprised as it kept making power much past what I expected!

The customer showed up in the morning and we got to work installing the Cobb flex fuel components as well as giving the car an oil change and performing a post break-in check up before strapping it to the dyno for final tuning.

The build consists of:

Outfront Motorsports V3 closed deck short block
    Stock heads/stock cams
    Dom 1.5 XTR 10cm
    Perrin FMIC
    Invidia EL header to 3" turboback
    KSTech 83mm intake
    TGV deletes
    Injector Dynamics 1300cc injectors + Walbro 450 pump
    Cobb Tuning flex fuel kit
    Tuned on Cobb AccessPort V3

93 octane 21 psi: 395whp/390wtq

E85 27.5 psi peak, tapering to 26 by redline: 504whp/522wtq

The best part about it was how well it held power up top for being on stock cams, which made it pull very smooth and hard on the street!

Just out of my own personal curiosity and to confirm accuracy, the very next day I put a 100% stock 2015 STi on the dyno and did the same 3rd gear pull and it laid down 246whp/253wtq, which is right in line with other 2015/2016's we've dyno'd stock on our Dynojet.

Here are the graphs. Both 3rd gear pulls.

E85

[​IMG]

E85 and 93

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Congrats to our customer Mike on building an extremely efficient streetable setup! :)

16. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

WOW. Those are crazy numbers for a DOM 1.5! Nicely done!

17. digitizedsoul

I want to put one on the forester, but i'm not spending 1500$ for a turbo lol

18. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

He beat my Dom 1.5 HP record!!! Lol still have the torque record though!!

19. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Maybe I should have shoved a little more mid range boost at it to make that tq spike a little harder for one pull just to shut you up :lol:

20. digitizedsoul

Please do. He beat me by 1mph at the half mile and I was running a 6266 to his Dom 1.5 (93oct though).

Still mad.

21. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

Why you always bringin up old sh!t? lol

22. digitizedsoul

[​IMG]

23. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Ask any real racer..... it doesnt matter if you lose by 1mph or 10mph, losing is losing.

24. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

:rofl: Nice! lol

Justin, I'll let you walk me in your car on the highway to make you feel better :D And by "let you" I mean I'll be on all the boost and trying as hard as I can lol

25. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

Like I said on the dyno.... Either way its my record lol whether I own it or build it, counts as a "win" in my book

26. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Very good point lol

27. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

This one isn't a Subaru, but I don't think you guys will mind ;) Had the pleasure of tuning this beautiful 1997 Supra recently! We performed some upgrades along with a new turbo setup and AEM Infinity ECU, and then I got to work making a couple maps for it on the dyno.

The main modifications on the car:

Sound Performance Pte6466BB single turbo kit
    Injector Dynamics 1000cc's
    AEM Infinity standalone ECU
    100% Stock Engine

First I built a daily driven tune on 93 pump gas. On 22 psi I left it at 572whp/503wtq.

Next I ran the tank pretty low and filled 5 gallons of VP C16 into the tank. I did the procedure this way (without draining the tank completely) to replicate real conditions where the customer will most likely show up to the track on low fuel and then add C16 to the additional small amount of 93 left in the tank. I then continued calibrating it on 27 psi, and stopped at 679whp/631wtq.

4th gear pulls:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This car is beautiful and a blast to drive! I have always had a soft spot for these cars :)

[​IMG]

28. digitizedsoul

Supra's are still in my top 3, always will be.

29. resynch

resynch Supporting Member

Supra = "car relationship goals"

30. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

There is just something about how these cars drive, and how they lay the power down that I just love!

31. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

And the sound of a 2JZ at full song....:eek:hnoes:

32. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Well yeah there's that too! This one had a recirculating wastegate dump, so it took away from that a bit, but lets face it...its still a 2ZJ with lots of boost being shoved through it :D

33. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

This 2015 WRX came to us for a tune to accomodate some parts he had recently installed.

The bolt ons included:

Intake
    3" catless turboback exhaust
    TGV deletes
    3 port EBCS

19 psi peak tapering to 16 psi

314whp/320wtq

[​IMG]

I also overlaid it with another 2015 WRX with just intake, downpipe, and Cobb Stage 2+Mishimoto Intake OTS map that we recently had on the dyno for some testing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

34. Justin V

Justin V Member

Woooooowwwwww! Thats my future

Although I said I am going to keep it stock for a while.

35. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Once you get bit by the mod bug its hard to stop :D

36. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

A little EJ205 love! This customer had just finished installing some parts on this 2004 WRX before bringing it in for a dyno tune. He got the turbo off of a parts car he had and is unsure of the size. We know it is a TD05 housing, but thats it! Tuned on 93 pump gas, but will be getting an E85 map soon.

Total setup consisted of:

Unknown TD05 turbo
    FMIC
    Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors
    3" turboback exhaust
    3 port EBCS

93 oct - 18 psi: 308whp/278wtq

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay posted for more boost and E85 soon :)

37. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Curve looks just like an old school 18g.

38. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

man after seeing that '15 wrx plot.... sigh must remind myself to not mod the new daily

39. STIstorm

STIstorm Supporting Member

Modify it Jeff....:naughty:

40. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

I was thinking either that or old 20G. It'll be interesting on E85 and more boost. Should come on a little sooner on E too.

Simple intake, downpipe, and tune is an easy 300whp :D

41. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

300hp awd daily, how can you say no to that jeff? just do it!

42. digitizedsoul

peer pressure? lol

let the man bask in his warranty :)

(that SOA won't honor citing "you let it run out of oil")

43. Hindsight

Hindsight New Member

Taylor, have you had many EFR 7163s on the dyno? I'm leaning that direction (with dom 1.5 as a second choice) and would be interested in seeing what you are getting for the curve on 93 and also seeing the difference between twin scroll and single. I haven't seen a really good/equal twin-scroll vs single-scroll dyno sheet (for the 7163 or dom 1.5) that convinces me there is really any actual benefit of going twin scroll. I get the theory and all, but actual numbers don't reflect it from what I've seen.

44. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

I haven't had any Subaru's with that turbo on the dyno here yet. We had a 8374 EFR STi on the dyno not too long ago, but I believe it was single scroll. Helped with a few single scroll 7163 and 6358's in the Ecotec community, but those are single scroll with a casting for the stock manifold. So I really don't have any direct comparisons for that turbo. Even the single scroll EFR stuff spools extremely well, and in typical Borg Warner fashion they like to continue to make power even when pushed on high boost.

As for a comparison between the Dom 1.5 and the EFR 7163, the 7163 is a much larger turbo capable of much more. The 6358 is closer to the Dom 1.5 size, just a few lb/min larger is all. It all depends on your goals.

45. Hindsight

Hindsight New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. From the dyno charts I have seen, it seems the 7163 spools earlier than the Dom 1.5 even though it's bigger.... but it's obviously very challenging comparing different cars on different dynos on different days.

46. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

It is quite impressive how quickly the EFR series turbos spool. But like you said, its tough comparing different cars on the same turbo, as the setup has a lot to do with spool. I just finished a Dom 1.5 car this afternoon that spooled later than any other one I've tuned on that turbo, but still made very good power. The car was on a stock intake box, stock intercooler, and catted downpipe which could have something to do with it. Was an 06 so single AVCS, but still was lazier than most. It made just over 400whp on 22 lbs and E85 though on the stock motor, so it made solid power. The Dom 1.5 never disappoints in my opinion.

I've been impressed with Borg Warner turbo's though for sure. The EFR series is big in the Ecotec and Evo platforms. I personally have a BW turbo on my car, but not an EFR. Just an S259et, but its been solid, and loves higher boost. I've put it through plenty lol and it keeps asking for more. Used tons of 200 and 300 series BW turbos on many cars with good results.

47. Hindsight

Hindsight New Member

Thanks for the info!

48. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Time to post another car! We recently tuned this local 2015 STi with basic bolt ons.

Intake
    3" Turboback exhaust
    Tuned on Cobb V3 AP

93 pump gas - 20 psi peak: 304whp/361wtq

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

49. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

This 2006 STi made the trip up from Florida for a tune after the owner installed all of his parts and got the car running to make sure everything was mechanically solid. He trailered it up and we got it on the dyno and made some pulls on 93 before switching to E85.

The setup consisted of:

100% stock engine
    Dom 1.5 10cm
    TSM 1150cc injectors + 485 pump
    Catted 3" downpipe to 3" catback
    3 port EBCS
    Stock airbox + stock TMIC

First, on 93 we kept it conservative and at 19-20 lbs we stopped around 340whp and similar torque.

The car will see mostly E85, and with the added safety margin on this fuel we had a goal of 400whp in mind, without having to push the car to get there. 22 psi got us where we wanted to be after some fine tuning and we ended at 404whp/413wtq

This car spooled a little bit later than most Dom 1.5 10cm cars we see, but the factory airbox and the catted downpipe will have something to do with that. Having it come on a little later and smoother will help keep the stock engine happy though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We also made a conservative E85 road race map on 21 lbs that made ~380/380 since this car will get some track time in the Florida heat!

Congrats Cory, on putting together a nice setup! :)

50. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

How many miles on that stock block? What are the expectations for longevity at those power levels on corn?