On the Dyno at TSM!

Discussion in 'TopSpeed Motorsports' started by Taylor@TSM, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

It's like a couple of guys pushing drugs to a young impressionable kid.

2. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

Hahahahahahahaha it's 4/20

3. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

I push it to people as much as I can haha. Its the safest thing you can do to your car to keep the engine in one piece as long as possible. Since we all know that combustion heat and detonation are a Subaru's worst enemy (well any car really). I've run nothing but E85 through my car since 2008, never had a tank of pump gas through it since then. I understand that isn't feasible for everyone, but multiple maps or even flex fuel is :D

4. Hindsight

Hindsight New Member

Did you drive the car down here from ND on E85 or have it shipped? If you drove it, I am surprised you could find that many E85 stations on the way! That said though, you were probably driving through corn country nearly the entire way here.

5. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

Trailer queen

6. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

I trailered it down behind my Tundra. I'm sure it would have been a chore to find E85 at convenient times on a cross country trip on a small fuel tank haha. I could make a quick pump gas limp map in about 2 minutes if I ever need to.

7. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

It's possible-ish... There are a few apps out there that will navigate you to your destination with stop offs at E85 stations. Hope they are up to date and the stations aren't out of corn lol.

8. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Had this local 2004 STi in recently with 41,000 miles on it!

It has the "stage 2" setup:

Intake
    Catless turboback exhaust
    Tuned with a Cobb AP

19 psi peak on 93: 301whp/334wtq

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

We had this local member's 2005 Forester XT on the dyno recently for a smooth, yet conservative daily driver tune.

The car is equipped with:

Forced Performance HTA68 7cm turbo
    Catted turboback exhaust
    Intake
    DW850cc injectors
    STi stock TMIC
    19 psi peak falling to 16 psi at redline

Tuned with a Cobb AP on 93 octane: 309whp/346wtq

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

11. resynch

resynch Supporting Member

Awesome Forester numbers! 5 speed or 4eat?

12. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

STi 6 speed :)

13. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Here is a 2008 STi we built that we had in for its final tune after break-in. This build really follows our recommendations that we suggest to our customers when helping them choose the best path for their TSM SS1 build. Of course there are tweaks that can be made, or certain parts substituted with others depending on what the end goal is, but this is what you can usually expect from the typical larger stock location turbo on 93 pump gas build we provide.

This build consists of:

TopSpeed SS1 shortblock
    Blouch Dom 1.5XTR 10cm turbo
    ETS top mount intercooler
    TSM 1000cc injectors
    Tomei equal length header
    Catless 3" turboback exhaust

93 octane - 21 psi peak: 379whp/384wtq

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Hindsight

Hindsight New Member

Solid numbers and a great, reliable setup. Very nice!

15. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Thanks, but it's just a station wagon ;)

06 STi 6sp swap including the hubs and brakes w/DCCD Pro.

Yeah but yours is the twin that has been working out (built block).

Taylor absolutely could have produced even better numbers, but this is my grocery getter. I wanted a smooth tune that could withstand a bad tank of gas. I'm saving the kill map for the GD once the upgrades are done. They were put on hold last year to adopt and clean this Fozzy up. I'll knock the dust of my journal and update it.

Thanks again Taylor!

16. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Sooner or later pEd is going to talk you into selling it...

...or just steal it

17. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

He's a smart one. Instead of telling me about it directly he posted it on here (craigslist thread). That way he can't be blamed for my subaru problem. He's just waiting for me to finish cleaning it up.

18. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Back at it again with a big power Dom 1.5 setup!

This car belongs to a good friend and customer of ours who primarily road races the car. We recently had it in for some slight suspension/steering upgrades to prepare for the rest of the 2016 racing season, and while it was in we strapped it back onto the dyno for me to make sure everything was looking good, and just to make some adjustments.

His setup is:

TSM shortblock
    GSC S1 cams
    Perrin FMIC
    Tomei equal length header
    3" catted downpipe (catless for the high numbers pull)
    3" catback
    Intake
    ID1000cc injectors w/485 pump & TSM fuel system
    PPG gears
    E85

Tuned on a Cobb AP

I first worked on the road race map, which on a very conservative 20.5 psi made 410whp/384wtq. Very manageable and reliable for long track days. I then turned it up a bit and on 23 lbs for his "street map" it made 457whp/446wtq. Still plenty reliable and still stayed pretty conservative, as this car just wanted to pick up power very efficiently. The car still has a catted downpipe simply so he can continue to race in the Street Class.

I then asked if we could put a catless downpipe on it just for the dyno session so I could pull out all the stops and have some fun :) Since this car has my favorite setup (FMIC and EL header....efficiency!) I knew it was going to continue to pick up power...I just didn't think it would make this power on such low boost. I turned it up slightly and worked on a few different aspects in the map and stopped at just over 24 lbs of boost.

24.28 psi - 510whp/512wtq

I believe that is the record for a Dom 1.5 on an EJ, which I think we previously held at 504whp/522wtq on another build we completed a few months back that I posted.

We put the car back on the rack and put his downpipe back on, and loaded the road race map on the car and he took it to Roebling and raced it all weekend long.

Just wanted to post this up!

[​IMG]

Comparison of all 3 maps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. digitizedsoul

Yeah this makes me mad lol. I only made 521/434 on my ETS rotated setup with a 6266, BUT that was on pump 93...

20. Hindsight

Hindsight New Member

Crazy good numbers! Very excited to have one of those on my car.

Taylor, I keep reading about people having boost control issues with the internal gate on the dom 1.5, even when using a 3-port EBCS. They end up going with an EWG. You ever run into this?

21. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Thats like comparing apples to watermelons. At that level E85 is going to make tons more power and be much safer. The 6266 is 700+whp capable on E85. I'm tuning a good friend of mine currently on a rotated 6266. He made around 600whp on a 5858 and is looking for around 700whp or so on the 62 now. 521whp is plenty respectable on 93.

I've never had issues with an internal gate on a Dom 1.5. Even running as low as wastegate pressure I haven't encountered creep on an efficiently flowing setup. I prefer external for sure, but on a turbo that size it isn't a necessity unless you are going for every last horsepower.

22. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

We had this 2011 WRX in for our tuning special. We installed a few parts and got the customer an AccessPort V3 and then put it on the dyno for some tuning.

Installed parts were:

Intake
    3" catless turboback exhaust
    Tuned with a Cobb AP V3

Tuned on 93 octant pump gas - 19.5 psi peak: 316whp/347wtq

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Justin V

Justin V Member

Thats like STI stg2 protunes, I know the numbers are somewhat arbitrary, but that surprising.

24. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

I was a bit surprised as well, the car just took to changes very well. The factory boost control solenoid seemed to be healthy on this car. I typically end up around 300-310whp on stage 2 STI's on pump gas.

25. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Had this 2006 STi in for a tune with the basic "stage 2" setup. It seemed to make really good power for what is done to it!

Tuned via Cobb AP V3

93 octane - 20 psi peak: 312whp/356wtq

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

This 2004 Forester XT we had in for a tune was definitely pretty sweet!

It has:

VF39 turbo
    3" turboback exhaust
    Intake
    3-port EBCS

Tuned via Cobb AP

93 pump gas - 19 psi peak: 301whp/336wtq

Definitely a sleeper!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. resynch

So sexy it should be nsfw! Digging the fender flares!

28. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Yep, when it rolled in I was NOT expecting it to be that awesome! Everyone at the shop was taking pictures haha

29. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

We recently built this 2011 STi, and had it back in after break-in for its final tune! It made REALLY good power on 93!

TopSpeed SS1 shortblock
    Blouch Dom 1.5 XTR 10cm turbo
    Perrin FMIC
    Tomei UEL header
    TSM 980cc injectors
    3-port EBCS

93 octane - 23 psi: 422whp/402wtq

[​IMG]

30. Hindsight

Hindsight New Member

Wow, that's very high for pump gas on a 1.5! Do you think the UEL header was holding any extra power back?

31. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Yeah, I was impressed at how efficiently it kept making power! The Tomei UEL seems to be among the best of the UEL headers, so I don't think it was much of a restriction at this power level.

32. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Had this 2015 STi in for some FlexFuel tuning! It made great power on both fuels for the modifications done to the car!

2015 STi:
    Intake + inlet
    3" turboback exhaust
    Cobb 3-port EBCS
    Cobb FlexFuel kit with 1000cc injectors
    Tuned via Cobb AP V3

E85 - 20 psi peak: 374whp/412wtq
    93 - 19 psi peak: 322whp/352wtq

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

33. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

For whatever reason, I enjoy reading these posts a lot. Thanks for sharing! Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to let a turner at my car. Maybe... :eek:hnoes:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  34. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

I enjoy them as well, keep 'em coming!

35. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

This 2007 STi came to us a while back for some finishing touches and a tune. We left the boost a bit conservative the first time around since it was still on stock sized head studs, but he brought it back a few months later with the block upgraded to 1/2" head studs so we turned it up a bit and ended up with some great results!

The overview of the build consists of:

Outfront Motorsports V3 Closed Deck block
    Stock heads/stock cams
    Full Race EFR8374 Turbo setup
    3" exhaust
    3.5" intake
    Injector Dynamics 2000cc injectors
    Twin Walbro 485 pumps
    Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

Tuned on E85

I first made a ~26 psi map for the car which made 547whp/517wtq with a smooth ramp in. I then made a ~37 psi map which netted 675whp/623wtq, which was about all it wanted to make through the intake filter, as that became a restriction at that point. I put a velocity stack on the intake and I was able to start picking up power again since the car was able to make a little more boost, and it also helped it come up a little quicker too. I ended up with peak boost at 43psi in the mid range falling to 40 psi up top.

Ended at: 753whp/689wtq

I set the AccessPort up with all 3 maps as well as a 93 map since he likes to take this street car on long trips from time to time.

This car is definitely a sleeper!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

36. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

2007 STi with red brakes?

37. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Ya, the owner had them painted or powder coated.

38. Matt

he must have owned an EVO before the STi and liked that ugly red more.

39. digitizedsoul

Looking at that 15 STI before this crazy build:

It's pretty wild what 1psi of boost will do on E85. Obviously it's all in several degrees of ignition timing advance which we all know can make a tremendous difference, but E85 having the higher octane makes such a difference.

Start that flame front and gas expansion right after that intake valve shuts lol

40. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Which would also explain why he likes horsepower so much :eek:hnoes: I keed I keed lol

Its pretty much all in the E85! The 1 more lb of boost only holds until about 5,000 rpms or so, then its identical since the tiny turbo can only hold so much up top. But it helps me carry the power a little bit better. The interesting thing that people never see is the comparison of the final 93 numbers and the initial E85 pulls before its dialed in. On the same boost, same ignition timing, and a slightly richer AFR, this car made 15whp more and 15wtq more on E85 over the final 93 numbers. And then of course I started dialing it in to where it was happiest and it picked up a ton more power and the graph smoothed out a lot.

41. Hindsight

Hindsight New Member

What is the best website directory for E85 fueling stations? I've looked at several and they are very incomplete.... I know the BP station up near Top Speed has it yet most of the web directories I search don't even show it.

42. Matt

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_locations.html

43. digitizedsoul

lol e85 is still so sparsely distributed around this area it's unreal.

i won't be able to even think of utilizing it for a while.

44. Matt

the new racetrac on delk road that opened up this week has at least 2 E85 pumps.

It seems they're one of the better options for E85.

45. Hindsight

Hindsight New Member

46. FACE

FACE Active Member

The new racetrac on bellsferry near 575 has e85 pumps also

47. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

There's 3 stations within 2 minutes if the shop, all of which I have to drive by to get home :)

48. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

Hey everyone! Wow its been a while since I've updated this thread. I swear it felt like just a couple months, but I see it was longer than I thought! I've been lacking on the forum posting/social media lately as we've had a very busy summer and fall traveling for numerous racing events, along with lots of product development for the GTR platform, which means lots of me sitting on the dyno ripping back to back pulls for hours on end.

However, that hasn't slowed down the amount of Subaru's and other cars we've had on the dyno lately, so I'll do my best to try to work in some posts of what has been in for tuning in the last couple months, along with keeping this current so I don't get behind again! As much as I enjoy the traveling and sending 7 and 8 second GTR's down the 1/4 mile and breaking speeds of 200+mph in the half mile, it feels nice to have some time to relax and post on the forums a bit!

To keep this thread going I'll post up a local 2004 STi that came to us recently with a nice build that made really good power on 93 pump gas.

The build consisted of:

Rods/pistons shortblock
    BC 272 cams with valve springs
    BNR "50 trim" stock location turbo
    Perrin TMIC
    DW1200cc injectors
    3-port EBCS

And I cant remember which header it had off the top of my head.

This car on 22 psi on 93 octane made 440whp/368wtq

[​IMG]

I didn't get a picture of the car (my phone was out of storage space for months lol!) so I aplogize, but it was a clean silver 04 STi.

49. resynch

50. Taylor@TSM

Taylor@TSM Member

That is the car, yes. I remember him saying he was going to sell it or trade it. It is definitely a nice setup, and plenty capable! And pretty much all the parts were just installed during the build, so its all fresh.