New car for me / yet another tint thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, May 17, 2016.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Just bought a 2016 Mustang GT this week.. First impressions are that is amazing! Handling is obviously not on par with the STI.. But its definitely way faster than my protuned STI. I miss the turbo.. But there is something to be said for NA.. From what I've seen so far... Power is there immediately and in any gear. It also doesn't seem like it needs many upgrades, if any at all. From what I'm reading so far, people buying larger exhaust, CAI and tunes are only netting about 20 RWHP. Car already sits low with no wheel gap, so no springs needed. Shifter is already short throw and tight. Only things I plan are tint and MAYBE an axle back to get 4" tips just for looks..

As far as tint.. Looking for recommendations in the Sandy Springs area. I've looked into The Tint Guy, Tint Freak and Oasis. Looking to go 25% (I usually do 20%.. But it looks like it has some tint from the factory and don't want it to be dark enough to attract cops). Also need recommendations on film type.. Weather the high price stuff is worth the $$$.

PS.. Do you still need a photo hosting site to post pictures? You'd think you could just attach with your phone at this point..

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  2. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Lance/Tint Freak just did my wife's Civic @ Classic last week . Great job! We did 5% all the way around. You mentioned you looked into him...he is from the Subaru family..great guy... Hopefully there wasn't something that deterred you from him..?

I know oasis has been around forever and never heard bad things about them.... Hopefully you can get it done soon. Good luck

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Not deterred from Tint Freak at all.. I sent him a request for an estimate and just waiting to hear back... Just want to look at my options �� What kind of tint did you get (not percent.. I mean I know There are different quality levels.. I'm just not very knowledgeable about them...

4. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

Just had my mom's 2015 crv tinted at tiny guy in woodstock. 25% all four Windows, rear window and strip on front windshield with 3m. They did an excellent job.

Had my sti stripped of old tint (was in excellent shape just wanted darker) at The three tinters near dunwoody area. They're price is very reasonable and will give discount if paid in cash

5. orndog

orndog Member

I took mine to Solarworks in Alpharetta. They did an excellent job.

6. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Welcome to the dark side. I've had my 2015 GT for a little over a year and it has been a blast.

Did you get the PP?

7. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

No PP.. Pretty much bare bones... Got it for 29K and that was my top end. PP gets you bigger breaks right? What else? Have you done any upgrades?

8. Eco Auto Clean

I'm not even sure what type of tint it was..just told him 5%...he does the Subaru/Cadillac dealer as well as many other dealers , gotta be doing something right!

Call him back if you don't hear from him as he told me he was incredibly busy..and I know how that can get

9. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

bigger wheels, bigger brakes, beefier suspension, spoiler delete, other miscellaneous things l can't think of off the top of my head

10. Eco Auto Clean

Air freshener

11. orndog

orndog Member

When did he start? Not bashing, but the guy that did my Legacy there in 2013 had to redo it twice.
    I mean, he did it and in the end it ended up great, but that was a hassle.

12. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Basically what Matt said above. PP gets you brembos, better suspension, spoiler delete, some chassis stiffening shit, a chin spoiler, better wheels and tires, and different rear end gearing (3.73s).

The only mods I've done are a GT350 steering wheel and putting PSSs on. My guess is if you put better tires on there you will see a huge different. The stock PP tires (pzeros max summers) weren't great, and I imagine the regular stock tires are even shittier.

I am possibly going procharger here in the near future also

13. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have used Tint Smith in Lawrenceville on my last few cars. He is an authorized dealer and installer of Huper Optik which isnt something you can just go to class and get. He sells 3M as well if you are more price concise. Honestly, if you dont plan on keeping the car over 5 years, no point in getting HO or any of the really high end films. If you do plan on keeping the car forever, invest in a lifetime ceramic type film. Good Luck!

14. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Don't forget the Mullitt it's good for 30WHP!

Also, used Solarworks in Cumming. Good prices on ceramic.

15. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Going with 3 Tinters in Dunwoody. Not a bad price for Ceramic and cash discount. Appointment is for Monday. Only questions are what darkness and whether to do the front windshield. I'm leaning on doing 25% on the sides and back, but I'm a little worried that might be dark enough to attract cops. Especially on a Silver car. It looks like the windows have some tint on them from the factory, so adding 25% to that might be dark AF. Do you guys think it may be wise to go 30% to avoid hassle? Also, need opinions on whether doing the front windshield with 75-80% would be worth it to block the summer heat. I refuse to use those unfoldable shields.. and with a black interior, it can get brutal in there. I think I'm going to do it.. but its an extra $100... so opinions are needed.

16. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

get the windshield done.

and get 30%

17. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I'm 90% I'll do the windshield... % darkness on the rest will be a game time decision. I would guess I'll do 25%. If I got 30% and it was too light.. I'd spend 6 years regretting it. Still not sure...

18. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

30% is okay if you have full black interior. I would recommend 25% otherwise.

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I do have full black interior... I'm still torn. Going in the morning... I'll talk to the shop, make my decision then. The main argument is getting pulled over for it. I'm 41... not driving stupid, carrying anything I'm not supposed to. If the worst case scenario is a ticket... I could live with it.

20. Eco Auto Clean

That's what I'd do! Get windshield done, if you feel you're being harassed for it, you can always remove... Just a thought!

21. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Ok.. Tint complete at The Three Tinters in Dunwoody. I reserve final judgment until the tint settles, but I think I'll be very happy. Got ceramic all the way around. 20% on rear window and little corner wedges, 28% on the sides, and 70% on the windshield. $369 out the door.. Which was about the average for ceramic.. So I'm happy. Got me out of there in a little more than 2 hours. Sorry for crappy lighting... I either had screaming sunlight, or extreme shade. 1st picture is before... last 3 are after.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  22. WiReX22

WiReX22 New Member

Nicely done. your car looks great.

23. Spike70

Spike70 New Member

Nice tint job.