Dealer Review SoK does this look right?

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by orndog, Mar 24, 2015.

1. orndog

orndog Member

I took my car to the dealership for its 30k mile service because I wanted them to start the oil consumption test. I also told them to service both gear boxes (but not the CVT). The receipt says "High Perf GE" and charged me for 3 units. I don't know how much a unit is (pints, quarts?), but to my eye the front diff doesn't look touched. What do you guys think? Is 3 units just the rear diff?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit: sweet Jesus why are the pics not resizing?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  2. orndog

orndog Member

Called SoK and they say they serviced both. It looks too clean, doesn't smell of GL, and no visible marks on that drain plug. Damn you Subaru for doing away with the dipstick.

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

most giantest pictures ever.

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

can we get a Jeff or Matt to work on that?

5. Matt

fixed.

6. orndog

orndog Member

Thanks. Original question though, does that look too clean and unmarred to have been serviced?

7. Changed my diff fluid about 10 times(3rd Subeee) and never left a mark on drain plugs.(very tough material) I believe the rear holds 1 and the front a little more than one.More than likely they sprayed a little brake cleaner and that removed any residue. Most dealerships will fire you on the spot for 'smoking' work. For the 15 minutes or so that it takes it seems not worth losing ones job over..So to answer your question .no.

8. orndog

orndog Member

Thank you. I managed an oil change shop in a past life and always had to make sure people weren't 'smoking' work, and those apes never left anything that clean. I tend to do all maintenance work myself so letting somebody else play with my baby's bottom side is unnerving.

9. orndog

orndog Member

Update - my oil consumption was deemed beyond the magical threshold, so SoK is ordering a short block. Do we know the techs there?

10. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Pretty sure outbacksprt is a tech there. Matt can confirm on that one.

11. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

I know them all. (former employee)

12. orndog

orndog Member

O realllllyyyyyy....... :naughty:

Put in a good word for my baby going under the knife soon? :bowdown:

I'd also like to just chat with whoever does this to see what all goes into it, what's new and what's re-manufactured, and if there's anything extra they'd recommend.
    And buy the guy a beer.

13. Western

Western Supporting Member

They pulled a BMW and took out the dipstick???? Da fuq?

14. AlexMoffitt

AlexMoffitt Member

wow. Especially since our cars have a tendency to eat oil from time to time...

15. orndog

orndog Member

What? No, the oil dip stick is still there. No tranny or front diff sticks anymore.

16. orndog

orndog Member

Anybody know Terry Fleck in service? I was told he was the one who did my short block. TIA

17. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

I know him. He's a good guy and somewhat new(ish) to the SoK team but he was a Kia master tech for quite a while and he is a very capable tech. Don't worry, just let the car do the talking. lol

18. orndog

orndog Member

Thanks. So far nothing missing and nothing has fallen off. I'll drive it a while and post up. Hopefully this fixes the oil consumption issue.

19. orndog

orndog Member

I do have to say this car is filthy, with some sort of chalky white spots all over it. It was washed a week before I dropped it off, and I was told on the phone it was on its way to detailing, so there must have been some sort of disconnect at the dealership and it got missed. I might just take it back today for an odd vacuum whistle I hear (my car is NA) when I blip the throttle, and to point at my paint and so "no, bad dealership" lol

20. Matt

one thing I won't let the dealer do is wash the car. nope nope nope

[​IMG]

21. orndog

orndog Member

Ok, the noise is normal - kudos to SoK for taking the time to diagnose it. I only heard it because I had the hood up checking out their work. They listened at the drop off location, even dragging a Tech (Terry) out to hear it. He heard it and couldn't find it, so he took it back to the shop where he worked for a while, finally popping the hood on a 2015 and realizing it did it too. Again let me say I was worried because the brake pedal was also sinking, and when you combine the two symptoms....
    Anyway, turns out it had air in the brake system so they bled the brakes - free of charge since they had just done the 30k service. They also washed it up. I hear ya' Matt, but there was this white pasty stuff spotted around the car from wherever they had it sitting for a week - let them deal with it.
    All in all, they took care of everything. I filled it up with gas and will monitor usage. I have my radio presets back, seatbelt chime disabled again, speed volume set again, and the car didn't forget the MPG correction factor I put in or the tripometer.

22. orndog

orndog Member

Car started talking yesterday. :| They neglected to tighten a pulley. I requested extra warranty and was declined, as they say the Master Tech says no harm no foul. I say if it started squealing damage was done.
    I am less happy than I was. Not bashing, but not happy.

23. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

Ugh... Sorry to hear that! Hopefully everything is ok

24. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

sooool...would someone get fired for this?

[​IMG]

25. orndog

orndog Member

At SoK? No. I never updated but they ended up being so terribly rude and unhelpful and messed so much up I had to call SoA.

26. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Yup. Just picked up my car yesterday and when I got home decided to check out the new clutch fluid reservoir to find this two rags.
    I am heading down the same path as I have been "banned" from there now.
    Curios, what did SoA say/do?

27. Matt

wait. you were banned from a dealership?

28. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

They won't work on my car anymore...so I am calling it banned...
    Debating a full write up on here...don't want to take this thread over.

29. orndog

orndog Member

Meh, it's my thread, go ahead :cool:

30. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Well then...the saga continues. Since picking up the car two days ago I have been experiencing vibration above 60 mph. Took it to discount today and they tell me the tire that was replaced and shaved down to 6/32 is actually 8/32 on the edges and 6/32 in the middle....weeeee! This is just the gift that keeps on giving! :|.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  31. Matt

not sure you can 100% blame SoK for that one. Whoever they sent the tire to for the shaving messed that up.

32. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

True. But I feel that this should have been checked when the tire came back, before I was called to pick it up.