2017 autocross

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Millhouse04, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

oh I hear you guy on the GoPro. I actually decided to stop using mine. One less thing to worry about on race day and during the heat. The video was great to review, but once I could truly focus on the race, things flowed much better for me.

Oh an side note, replacement wheel will be at the house tomorrow. bout dang time...

2. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

I don't put too much thought into using it. I like to watch my fast runs!

Good to hear on the wheel!

3. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I was wondering when you were going to get that wheel back... Its nice to hear that you'll be back in action soon. You going to make it to AXA this weekend?

http://sololive.scca.com/STU.php

http://sololive.scca.com/OtherDir/PaxIndexOverall.html

This past weekend was EPIC... 3rd in class to Jerry and Matt... That was a TALL order, prepped 350z and C5 vette. The car had it in there, but I was having cone troubles. Ended up 97th out of 281 folks overall.

The course was quite fast day one, I needed to shift to 3rd 3 times on it... 3rd run I missed 2\3 shifts, but the speed and car where there to be able to do it which is a small victory in itself.

Day 2 was a risk reward course, it was just as fast but tighter while you were still going about the same speed. I had a ghost cone that I swear I never came close to (at national events there's an audit sheet so they tell you exactly which cone you hit). Without that cone I would have been 3 tenths out of 1st and 2nd place since Jerry and Matt were .037 apart for STU lead... I didnt protest because I wasnt running a camera and I didnt have a witness that remembered and at the end of the day it didnt affect the finish order.

Miles and Marcus you NEED to come this event next, I will be very disappointed otherwise...

Millhouse04 and SubieEngineer like this.
  4. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

Yes. Yes we do...!

Millhouse04 likes this.
  5. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

that course was fast and gutsy. I think I need new tires and better spring up front (like Zack has been saying since he got his shocks).
    [​IMG]

There is air under that tire (itshappening)
    thanks Jeff for the picture. I promise to buy some once we get some $$$

SubieEngineer likes this.
  6. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

I loved that course! And I still can't believe I lost by 0.085 on my competitor's final run! What's even more annoying is my fastest raw time during fun runs was a 56.1. I need to stop being a pansy in the slaloms... The Z will grip. I just need to believe it!

Obligatory "I did it, too!" pic, albeit the inside front! http://lucidworks.zenfolio.com/p310844777/e866b5182

And this is an awesome video: . You can really see how bumpy the area of the 2nd turnaround is.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Drowland87 likes this.
  7. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

that video started out slow and grainy for me....BUT then I was.....holy cow this guy must like Subaru as we where all over it.

8. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

9. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

*crickets*

10. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

yep, pretty much. complete forgot about this place...

11. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So I bought some stuff before this race.

TBW skid plate
    Harness
    Repaired OCV plug again... yes the wires got sheered off a 2nd time. Sodered new plug in.

I am going to assess the tire situation this afternoon, because this one tire might to to far gone to even be used on the back of the car. If that is the case hohos are going on the black wheels before sunday... and ASP here I come.

12. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Jeff will be happy, even though your in pro.
    that PAX though...STU 0.831 to ASP 0.856[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  13. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

14. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

did you get one? Which, and why a rally one.?

fixed, should have check before submitting..

15. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

The Rallye 4 is the one I have that has the detachment feature so that you can tuck the rear portion into the seat when you are not using it.

Reasons...

1. Its easier to use and install than a harness bar.
    2. Its lighter...
    3. You can retain your normal belts and factory adjust features for them.
    4. No more worrying about falling out of the seat while cornering hard.
    5. Its cheaper than a harness bar and harness

Millhouse04 likes this.
  16. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Soo, I'm not remotely knowledgeable on the limits to ASP, but can I still do a e85/flex fuel conversion and stay in ASP, or do I go back to SM?

17. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

So looking at it, I'm my option yes, per 15.10.C.1
    and 15.10.H
    Also it looks like you can do any intercooler as long as you do not have to modify any "body panels, fascias, or structural members."
    You are allowed to remove emission control devices, like the useless blower, PCV (race AIG!), even TGV's.

I am starting to see why the STi's and Evo's gravitate to ASP..
    15.10.R "Cast or forged, non-standard pistons of the same dimensions and configuration as original equipment pistons may be used"
    15.10.T "Intake and exhaust ports and manifold openings may be matched"

18. crazyazn

oh wow, ok yeah, i'm really glad you got me to go to ASP. It's by far more in my budget to build for, and allowing tgv removal would be nice to do while converting for flex fuel

19. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I am 98% sure you can remove the TGV under ASP rules, but I am not sure which section allows that.

So I fixed my OCV wiring for the 3rd f*^&king time now... I replaced the OCV itself with a new one...

Now the only time this thing seems to fail is at an autox when the OCV is working overtime because the cam actuator thing is working overtime... so it is my conclusion the only way to test it is to autox or drive like an asshole for a couple mins park and then do it again... then check for melted connectors and wires...

I HATE intermittent problems like this... because you think you got it fixed and then poof the shits melted again...

20. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

What keeps melting?

Sounds like you need to stop being like me and cheating out on materials. Go get some quality stuff.

21. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

The solenoid (I hope this is the cause) I assume was either drawing to much or not behaving correctly when receiving signals causing the plug to melt, the wires to split open, and ultimately throw a code because the solenoid wasnt working right. It wouldnt do this until the plug melted alil on the end and the wires split. This would ONLY happen when I would take it to autox, because I drive like a grandma everywhere else meaning the solenoid wasnt really doing much, however at an autox its getting used ALOT because of the constant use of the loud pedal.

[​IMG]

I did not cut this off, it simply came off as soon as I undid the clip on the plug...

Link to pigtail used.
    Home » Shop » Connectors / Harnesses » Sumitomo » 2 Way Plug Assembly for Japanese applications (Connector + Lock), Green - https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/3179

So the first time this happened we were codriving my car up in NC, I am not even convinced now that this was caused by a cone strike. Then I drove 3 hours home. When I looked at the plug after that it was burnt melted very bad. However it looked like the wires had been shredded by something hitting it. Now I am think that that was just caused by to much heat from the solenoid shitting the bed.

I drove like an asshole in a 3 mile loop around my house yesterday, no melting... I need to do that several more times and see if I get the same issue. If it does happen again I am going to have to concede and take it somewhere. Because if it isnt that solenoid its another wiring or electrical problem.

22. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Jeff from my interpretation of rule 14.2.G.3 (for ST classes); an H brace is legal for both ST and SP and does not have to add hear to the later rule of for SFC's.

23. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So for those interested parties...

I installed some new springs on my car...

13k Front
    16k Rear

I set the rear sway bar to loose, I may end up taking it off though after this event because it might cause to much rear tire lift with the big boy springs.

New Alignment specs...

-4 degrees of front camber to avoid side wall brutality on the tires
    -2 degrees of rear camber, I need to buy a adjustable LCA because that really should be around -2.5ish.

Toe out in the front, toe in for the rear...

24. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So this worked really well... Now if only my motor mounts were as good as the suspension was...

[​IMG]

To factory bushings and mounts... So annoying...

25. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So I was under the car for motor and tranny mount install and went to go inspect the motor mounts to see how much of a PITA it was going to be and I noticed wow there's no nut on the driver's side mount... So that is why I kept destroying that OCV wiring...

26. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Its a Plague, I had the same thing happing in the first year of owning my STi. I kept hearing a clunk under specific conditions (repeatable). Took it to the dealership....nut was not only loose but off and in the pan.

27. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Mine was completely AWOL, but then again I've been driving it like that for atleast 2 months I have feeling. The first wiring incident happened when we took at trip to NC.

28. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So Marcus and I took a trip this weekend to ZMAX, here's the video of my fastest run.

The new setup is simply amazing... I couldnt be happier with it. I am beside myself with how good it is.

29. crazyazn

well sunday's axa course was a blast, im soo mad at myself for messing up the final 180 into the last offsets every frigging run, and my last two runs i fell behind on my hand work in the offsets to finish :(
    However, my car fell quite responsive getting back into boost, so I think once i fully retune the car things will only get better on the power delivery, just hopefully I can keep up with the car :p

30. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I cant wait to get this ELH on the car... i feel like it will help getting out of hair pins ALOT because of the more responsive power delivery.

In other notes... my god I love my new setup...

I think that might have been my favorite course all year so far...