Need Help!

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by catch31, Aug 27, 2006.

1. catch31

catch31 Member

Ive noticed a strange problem with my car lately which i will try to explain. I have a 2002 wrx sedan (48000mi) with invidia tbe and invidia catless dp. Within the last two weeks, this started to occur. Whenever my engine is anywhere below 2700rpm and i open up the throttle completely the rpms will rise normally till around 3000rpms and then all of a sudden it will spike to around 4700rpms (as if i were to slightly engage the clutch and put the car in neutral, yet my foot isnt even on the clutch) then the rpms will drop back down to approximately 3500. After this spike and sudden downfall the car normally progresses past 3000 with no troubles. The car seems to maintain a constant acceleartion but it is definately a noticeable feat when the spike occurs. I first noticed this on the interstate and have since found that it only happens in 3rd,4th and 5th gear. Im hoping that it is nothing major. Possibly turbo boost as im not running any sort of engine management with my tbe and dp. Any help, good news or bad, will be greatyl appreciated.

Thanks Greg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  2. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

If your RPMs are going wonky like that I would bet that your clutch is toast.

3. catch31

catch31 Member

I have no problem at all with shiftin... its very smooth up shifting and downshifting... only when i get on the gas.. i can be crusing at around 2500 rpms and then open up the throttle... its not liek ass soon as i shift to third i open it up

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  4. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yup..sounds like clutch slippage

5. Tom's WRX

Tom's WRX Member

clutch. its more likely in normal clutch wear for the car to slip after you have engaged the gear. This is why when the rpms come back down, you clutch grabbed and bogged the motor back down. IT actullay happens a good bit in the 02 models. Thats a part of the problem with them being generation 1 wrx's.

6. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i put my money on the clutch... it will slip at peak torque and will be worse as u go higher in gears

7. catch31

catch31 Member

isnt 48,000 kinda early for a clutch to go

8. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

depends on how you drive. but i would say yes. 48K is a little early for a clutch replacement. are you the original owner?

9. catch31

catch31 Member

No ive only had the car for about 7000miles or 8 months

10. WrxConedodger

WrxConedodger New Member

I had to replace my clutch at around 50,000. Of course that was probably around 25 autocrosses and lots of playing