New Lexus LS Parallel parks itself!! Link inside.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by crashtke, Oct 22, 2006.

1. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

2. gte123v

gte123v Member

yeah, it's pretty cool. but it takes forever to get it setup though, at least that's what I read in motortrend.

3. Deke

Deke Active Member

A friend of mine that's co-oping in San Diego went to taste of lexus and was telling me about this. Apparently one of toyota's cars has the feature too (and don't bust my balls, I know they are the same company).

4. 03scooby

03scooby New Member

yeah its pretty tight, but how hard is it 2 park a car?

5. N2BNLOW

N2BNLOW Member

Thats cool and all. But people just need to learn how to drive.

6. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

agreed. it's a nice feature, but just teaching people to drive would solve a lot of problems too. although, I can see where it might be helpful to elderly people. However, I would worry that since the speed and initial position are still regulated by the driver, that could affect the final parking position? I can see someone still getting in a wreck because they started too far forward. Maybe not, but I don't know that I'd completely trust the computer to parallel park yet.

7. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

It's cool but I wanna see it park in NY,NJ or DC. So now if you take your drivers test with this car do you pass??:eek:hnoes:

8. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

since my research in a similar field, i can forsee some possible problems with this system... what happens when?

1) a car drives by?
    2) a person walks by?
    3) one of the cars that you are parking between starts moving?

if they have handled this problem, i'd be curious to see how they did it...

regardless, this happened last year and impressed me so much more... i have looked at a version of their algorithm and it looks pretty nice
    http://news.com.com/Robots+shift+car+tech+into+high+gear/2100-11394_3-5897892.html

9. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

The disclaimer reads "The Advanced Parking Guidance System requires driver brake control. Always look around outside the vehicle and use mirrors to confirm clearance. " I'm not sure it will handle a sudden obstruction and requires you, the driver, to use the brake in those situations.

So, if the system accidentally bumps the other car and the cops show up, can you say, "officer, I wasn't driving...it was the car???" :D

10. crashtke

I hear ya Milo, it is still crazy to me to see a feature like this coming out on a production vehicle. I heard they are currently working on getting fully automated driving system, but this is in production now and just tickled me to see it. I mean you watch movies like I-Robot and wonder how farr off cars like the ones driving with autopilot are...

11. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

my guess is technology like that is quite far off... my current research focuses on sensor fusion which is key to making automomous robots robust and reliable... these systems are still in the research stage... tie that in with liability issues and i don't think we will have technology like that in production for a while

then again stanford made the self driven rally car... so maybe super secret research is almost there :dunno

12. Anyone see Lexus' 22k option for the executive-jet back seats? They look REALLY nicee....for 22k...

13. crashtke

Well my thought on this is as follows: We had the SR-71 blackbird in 1969 if I remember right...no one knew about it till the late 80's...same with the stealth bomber. Ya never know exactly where technology is until it breaks.

14. Deke

Deke Active Member

So I had already seen the one comercial with the parallel parking. Well, I just saw another one talking about the transmission in the LS. 8 speed automatic:eek3:. Seems a tad bit ridiculous if you ask me...