time to change?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by knhtrdr, Oct 21, 2006.

1. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

How do you know its time to change the pads without the whole waiting till it scrub the rotor method or screeching sounds or less stopping distance. does the abs kick in sooner? what signs to look for.

2. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

take yer wheel off and check the brake pad and see how thin it is

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

You squeaking yet?

4. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

nope.

5. Deke

Deke Active Member

Then you are probably alright. Mine were squeeking when I got around to changing them, but even then they weren't squeeking everytime and not all that loud. I think the first thing you'll notice is a little bit of squeeking from time to time.

6. flip

flip Member

I wouldn't wait until the squeak. I checked mine the other day when i put my new tires on and they were about the thickness of a few index cards. I heard no squeaking other than the normal squeaking... Just put my new pads on today. God they're freaking awesome :).

If you want some serious street/track pads, check out the carbotech panthers...

7. Deke

Deke Active Member

What is this normal squeaking you speak of? :wiggle:

8. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

yeah I need some pads!!

9. Alex

the brembos squeal like little girls on a roller coaster when you roll backward with the brake on :D

10. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Under not so hard braking my brakes are vibrating like the abs is on orderd som from Mike.

11. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i think you have one of 2 problems:

1) warped rotors: quite likely
    2) pad transfer: doubt this is the case unless u have done some real hard braking in the recent past (like and autoX, etc)

12. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

+1 I hade my rotors turned twice in the '03 in a very short time...more frequently then any other car I've owned. :dunno

13. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

But the rotors are still smooth to the touch. should I get them truned anyway? Havent done a auto x but have been doing some hard braking/cornering.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  14. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

you should get the rotors turned.
    They may be out of spec now as it is.

15. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

+1 ... not sure where your mileage is, but both my turns were covered under warranty.

16. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

they are probably warped, not grooved... grooved rotors feel like record players... warping means that they are not flat anymore

[​IMG]

this picture shows a side shot of a warped disc... it could still be smooth to the touch but would cause pulsation and vibrations when braking

17. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

:eek:hnoes::eek:hnoes::eek:hnoes:

18. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

mine were turned under warranty but I ended up buying slotted ones shortly after anyway...

19. Alex

You wouldnt happen to have any flat spots on your tires would you?

20. DTM21

DTM21 New Member

I have the same problem, but my rotors are slotted and cross-drilled. Can I still turn mine? I have gotten yes and no answers on this one. Just curious.

21. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

^^^ i dont think you can

22. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I would say no on that one.
    Seems to me it would change the structural integrity of it being drilled and slotted.

23. Alex

agreed.

24. DTM21

DTM21 New Member

Alright. Thanks.

25. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Well, it was the rotors but not bad enough to replace I got them resurfaced with new axiss pads.