Wheel/Tire Weight Decision Questions

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by YallerWRX, Apr 22, 2005.

1. YallerWRX

YallerWRX New Member

Hello everybody, I'm researching before buying new wheels and tires for my 03 Blaze Yellow WRX. I understand the basics about offset, etc. and that 18" will generally be slower accelerating than 17" or 16" (everything else being even) because the weight is farther out from the hub. Now I am wondering about something else. It's not too difficult to find wheel weights online and I'm leaning towards SSR Competitions at about 12.8 lbs. each, but what about tire weights? Does anybody know a source to find tire weights? It wouldn't do much good to buy a light wheel and put a heavy tire on it, out of ignorance, when another tire might be a lot lighter.

So, here's my thinking. I like the looks of 18" wheels so I'm leaning towards an 18" wheel with light tires. I'm also thinking that since this is a daily driver, will never be raced, and will likely have springs and sway bar upgrades and then I'd be finished (already have Cobb Stg 2) the looks of 18" wheels, even with the performance hit compared to a 17" is an OK compromise . Am I missing something? Thanks for your comments...

2. Brian

Brian Active Member

tirerack.com lists both wheel and tire weights.

3. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

I have Rota SDR with Falken FK451 225/45/17. This combo is around 44lb/corner compare to 37lb/corner of stock. When i first upgraded, i felt the difference of the weight which is very slight. but i was adapted to this quickly, which all humans are good at.

I also have Cobb Stage2. MPG went down very slightly. highway pass has still enough pull.

If I have enough money, i'll go for SSR competition 17" with Kumho MX 225/45/17. This combo will be around 37lb/corner which will be equal to around 120 lb unsprung weight saving.

I love my Falken FK451, but Kumho MX is more track oriented with better DRY grip. plus MX is lighter than FK451

4. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

5. YallerWRX

YallerWRX New Member

Brian, thanks. I can't believe I've been using TireRack.com for many years and never noticed the "Specs" link for tires. Everything is listed by tire size, so it's great.

TJRCS, thanks for the info, especially the weight of the stock wheel/tire combos. Now I have something to try to beat.

Now I'm thinking I'll need to stick with 17" to get around or below 37# per corner.

Anybody else?

6. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I've heard stories of the SSR Comps bending when you hit potholes and the like.

You may want to balance out practicality with lightweight wheels. Since you wont be racing some wheel/tire package that is right around the same weight as stock should be fine.

7. married05gt

married05gt starting over

Yea man for every day driving I would say 13lbs a rim is to light because you might bend them on bad roads. I would say go with 18" wheels that wight around 17-18lbs ea. I have the 18"ktps and have been very happy with them.

Good luck:bigthumb:

8. Brian

Brian Active Member

A 17" wheel should weigh less and provide more tire sidewall to protect the wheel from getting bent...

9. Slack

Slack I take peekture, CLEEK! Supporting Member

When I have the spare cash to drop on nice wheels, I will most likely be getting some silver Enkei RPF-1's in 16x7. They are only 13.7lbs and fairly strong as well.

[​IMG]

Mick