That Subaru Burple Sound

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Superdude, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Quick question.
    The new Outbacks have dual exhausts. I guess the GT does as well. Do they sport the "burple" sound like WRXs and STIs? It's not the boxer engine, it's the header's length that makes the sounds, correct?
    The things we think about in the A.M. commute.

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Yeah, thats the unequal length headers making the classic subaru rumble

3. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

So, how DO the GTs sound all juiced? is it as unique? i haven't heard one go buy, yet.

4. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

are we talking outback or legacy gt? the legacy gt has a turbo 2.5L flat four so it should have unequal header lengths and I assume it would be the same for the outback turbo. My dad has had an 05 and now an 06 LGT and it does have the burble but very much subdued by both cabin sound deadening and mufflers, i'm sure it would sound awesome with an exhaust, but i doubt much different then say...an STI. Same motor same sound, till you get new headers.

5. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

well, the XT is the turbo Outback and it has dual exhausts. same as the GT. so, i guess what you're saying is that they have a common UP&DP and then split? so then the burple would stay. it all makes since now. what am to think about in traffic on the way home?

6. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

well really just the headers that come from the head to the up pipe are what make the sound and yes they should be relatively similar if not identical to the 06+ wrx and STI

7. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

it only splits to dual exhaust after the downpipe

8. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

My mom's LGT has the same boxer rumble as any WRX I've heard.

9. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

I heard equal length headers on a WRX and I was surprised at how drastic the change was. The car sounded smooth like a Mazda or Honda.

10. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

That makes me sad

11. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Unequal length is what gives our engine's that "sound". Make 'em even, and you're just another 4 banger ;)

12. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

u wanna be a rex owner or another 4 banger owner?
    that is the question :p