06 STI vs wrx(not a video)

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by droobydoobydoo, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Does any one know where to find a comparison of the two vehicles. What is different. I am also curious if they have a different hood/hood scoop since the intercooler looks bigger.

2. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

are you serious? just an honest question.

3. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

For 06 and up the scoop is the same outwardly but it's a little different on the inside. Subaru gave the 06 WRX a smaller IC after 05, at least it looks smaller and it's a little bit wider.

As for comparisons. The major differences, IMO, are the STi's hubs which are a little bigger and stronger. The STi's six speed which is WAY tougher than the WRX's. Obviously the turbo, brakes and engine (for 05 and below) are a little bigger and the interior which is mildly better because of the alacantara material on the seats.

In truth the differences go on and on for days but I dont' have time. :D The easiest way to tell an STi, (05 and up) for me is the slightly wider fenders on the rear because that's a really uncommon change to make to a WRX.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  4. Yes I am serious I think I know about 85% of what is different. I.e Just about everything .just wondering if anyonehad/found an actual comparison. I Mostly wanted to know what parts can I use on my car from those STI owners who have swapped out parts. I.e. rims, intercooler, susp, etc etc.

5. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

6. Thanks for the info clemsonscooby. very helpful.Still looking for some interchange info. will wait until ready to spend $.

7. gte123v

gte123v Member

EVERYTHING is interchangable........if you have enough money.

8. suby113

suby113 Member

I'll have to go with gte123 he is right! The major difference on the wrx to STI from 04-05 is the engine size wrx=2.0 and STI=2.5 liters 06 and up its is just a 2.5 for both! but the STI has a drive by wire and bigger injectors and a slightly larger turbo and of course the intake manifold is also slightly larger and of course the factory tune is boosted a little more going from 235 HP to around 300hp at the fly wheel.

9. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

And of course suby113 is a goof! Ha ha ha ha............................................................................

Just kidding brotha. It's true about the DBW for the STi's but WRX's have it too now! There are subtle differences in the 2.5's too. There are no sodium filled valves in the WRX's, but from what I can tell the WRX's 2.5 does have the forged internals.

I think what a lot of people don't know is that the WRX's, for 06 and up, have bigger injectors! :eek4:

10. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

i dont think that is true

11. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Yeah I wasn't going to say anything, but I've read it's just the same except for the ugly red paint.