Major over boosting after routine maintenance. Help.

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Slowsoul, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

I have an 02 WRX and just as the thread title says, I am experiencing some issues with my boost after preforming a spark plug swap.

I run a stock turbo, with a catless TBE and catless upipe, a STi TMIC, and a protuned cobb AP map.

Yesterday afternoon I replaced my sparkplugs. After the swap I took a test drive..the boost just keeps going up, WAY up, I easily bury the needle on my gauge, which stops at 20psi. By 2500 RPMs the needle is burried at the top of the guage. It is like the wastegate is not opening at all, the turbo just keeps spooling.

Can anyone give me an idea how to start troubleshooting this?

I am wondering if somehow the battery reset has messed up the wastegate maps in the basemap. I have tried reloading the basemap several times but I get an error message. I am waiting to hear back from my tuner, but I am trying to see if anyone has any ideas.

2. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

I just got off the phone with my tuner, he suggested that I might have knocked one of the wastegate vacuum lines loose. Which is very possible, because I had to go on a lost bolt search halfway through my spark plug job that involved removing the intercooler and also a lot diging and prying around on the passenger side of the engine bay. I might have pulled a vacuum line off and not realized it...it was dark.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  3. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yup sounds like one of the vacuum lines to the turbo/wastegate came off

4. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

One of the lines was split open...problem solved.

5. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Wow man. Glad you got it worked out.

6. suby113

suby113 Member

just about to say that! it is always the culprit!

7. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Yeah, this one time this fool was screwing around with different pills and hose unions and left a hose disconnected and hit 25+ psi on a Vf34... oh wait, that was me. :D

8. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Infiniboost FTL!

Ha ha.... (casually laughing at Moose's post about the VF34 not the 02 rex)

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

So did that solve the problem?

10. Slowsoul

Slowsoul Member

Me? Yes it did

;)

11. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Don't mind Alex, he has reading kumprehenshun problems :)