Rubbing Issues

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Rdemaeyer, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Rdemaeyer

Rdemaeyer New Member

Whenever I have more than one person in the back of my car my tires rub on even the slightest turn... I have 18inch aftermarket wheels but theres far too much rub for that to be the whole problem. A friend of mine said my springs in the back could be sagging... anyone had this problem/know the remedy for the problem?

2. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

What size tires are you running.

I have 225/45/18s on my Wheels (I think) and never had issues with rubbing.

I am currently using Milos old wheels and tires which are a different size, not sure what exactly, but he may be able to jump on here and chime in, and with them on I do have issues with rubbing in the rear.

I can check the tire sizes for accuracy when I get home tonight.

3. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

what springs are you running?

4. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

It really just depends on where its rubbing to figure out the real issue. Inside tire, tread of the tire, outside of the tire. Inside of the tire, you may have the wrong offset. Tread of the tire, your friends are right, your springs are sagging and probably need to be replaced (or possible your struts also). Outside of the tire, your tire is too wide. You can alleviate the tire being to wide by adding a little more negative camber in the rear if you aren't already at OE -1.3.

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Heres a question, what offset are your wheels?

6. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

^^^ yea, anything over 43mm is probably too aggressive and will rub on corners.

7. Rdemaeyer

Rdemaeyer New Member

The tires I am running are Nitto NT555s that are 235/40ZR18 91W.

8. Rdemaeyer

Rdemaeyer New Member

The springs as far as I know are stock unless they were changed before I purchased the car...The offset I also dont know because the wheels were on the car when I bought it.

9. Deke

Deke Active Member

I was always under the impression that 48mm is the ideal offset for us.

10. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Offset is completely relative to the width of the wheel. I'm running some 17x7s with a +53 offset, they sit flush with the sides of my wagon.

235s are very wide for a wagon, if you ran some 225s or 215s you probably would have less issues with the rubbing. You can roll your fenders also.

11. Rdemaeyer

Rdemaeyer New Member

Well its definitely time to replace my tires....they are low as it is and this is just further reason to get it done soon.

12. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

So you never said what the offset of your wheel is. Find where ever your wheel came from and tell us the offset. The tire isn't the problem, as a WRX can easily run a 235 with a +48 offset. You can also run a 245 with a +48 offset.

13. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

but he has a waguhn so without some rolling, 225 is close to the limit

14. Rdemaeyer

Rdemaeyer New Member

The wheels are technomagnesio Sao Paulo's. I cant seem to find the offset listed anywhere on the internet.