Spring Break Mtn Run 3-23

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by GTscoob, Mar 15, 2007.

?

What day works best for you?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2007.
  1. Tuesday 3-20

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Thursday 3-22

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Friday 3-23

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Saturday 3-24

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Sunday 3-25

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Anybody want to go up to the mountains someday next week? I'm free any day except for monday and wednesday but need to finalize my work schedule by 2am tonight.

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

muhahahaha...that just destroyed your poll

I am free pretty much all break, except wed, which you left off anyway

3. GTscoob

Brett you in?

4. Bolderer

Bolderer Member

I could be available mon/wed/fri of next week. I have class next week as my spring break was last week. I am not complaining because I was fortunate enough to get 6 straight days of sunny 60 degree weather in NC and I can now tell you with definity, gas up there is not cheap. I probably went through 5 tanks last week. It sure was fun though. I'm defintely ready to get back.

5. GTscoob

I'm going to shoot for friday.

6. jayj713

jayj713 Member

i have class next week too :(

7. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

i like friday, might have my new tires in by then too.

8. Deke

Deke Active Member

I'll probably be out of town, or else would definitely come. Take pictures!

9. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

which mountain we going to?? I would like to release some stresss out there~

10. GTscoob

No clue, I'm going to dig up some maps and find a good route, or I'll just get one from Keith, the king of all mountain runs.

11. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

Friday works for me if I can sneak out for a while from work :)

12. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

All of the above! Really!

13. Greg

Greg Active Member

14. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Crap. I have to be out in Columbia on Friday. I would have liked to have gone...

15. Intrigue2727

Intrigue2727 Member

Friday Sounds Good

16. sm04subaruwrx

sm04subaruwrx Member

i won't be on break but i'd like to go. i could go tues, thurs, or sat.

17. GTscoob

Planning for friday. Who's in?

Brett you should drive down from Clemson, find your own route but rendezvous with us in the mtns.

18. lostinthewoods

Hey its a keith birthday mountain run:fawk:

I should be in Bobby pending flight delays etc. :)

19. GTscoob

Awesome what an ideal birthday! Anybody else want to grill out if Keith and I can find a good route that puts us near a nice picnic ground?

20. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Im in for friday and I am on spring break too, so Im in atlanta now

21. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

Saturday works for me since I have to be in the NW side of GA around Rome about 9:30

22. KaamaCat

KaamaCat Member

Here is a suggestion for a long route.

1) Start from Chevron @ end of RT400. (Top-off-tanks)
    2) Leave Chevron, make LEFT back to RT400 and make LEFT @ light. Travel north. (Up to RT52 end)
    3) Make left on RT52. (That takes you back out to the bottom of the lake area)
    4) Head north again on RT19 up to BloodMt/Neels Gap (1st Stop)
    5) Continue back on RT19, bypass Vogle/RT180, make RIGHT on 180, then RIGHT on RT348.
    6) At "top" of RT348, on left is a nice overlook for a group pic. (2nd Stop)
    7) Bottom of RT348 make left towards Helen on RT75 (short), and take RT17 back up to RT180.
    8) Take RT180 back over to RT19, frogger south a bit, then make RIGHT on RT180 to SUCHES.
    (Temp stop up at BTB?)
    9) Stop/Tank up if needed, then finish south on RT60........

A looooooong route, but if you start early makes for a full day..................(BobR Over-And-Out)

23. lostinthewoods

Bob where you been? have you been up to the mountains lately?

24. Greg

Greg Active Member

So... is Saturday going to be the day since it has the most votes..?

25. KaamaCat

KaamaCat Member

Keith. Spent most of the first-half-of 06' waiting on my wheels for the Pantera, latter half in "restoration mode" on the rear suspension. (rubber bushings, ball bearings...etc from 1974 just dont last 30yrs)...So the rear is nice and clean, finishing the F/E over the next two weeks.

(See if you'll notice, I have another addition to the collection........and have actually been up in the Mts a bunch over the last few weeks). I have stuff already for Saturday, but should the run change to Sunday I'd like to join along.

(Was up with the Lotus folks a few weeks back..... one guy took a head-on at speed by a robin, into the window and nailed him just over the left shoulder.......feathers and a white everywhere, and alas the robin was D.O.A)

The roads are all in nice condition....... gotta still stay-the-line on RT180 with some left-over gravel in each center lane and on the sides.

While I babble.......I close with this. We happened to stop in Vogle State Park. We were there for 10mins max. A park ranger and his buddy bought their trucks directly in front of us, asked me if I had paid for parking. ($3).....I told him I did not see anyone at the entry post, because of the season......... he basically pointed to the "after hours" box down in the lot (that was blocked by another SUV) and made us all pay. He said if we were there for 1minute we had to pay.

26. lostinthewoods

guys check the date. 3-23.. that is a FRIDAY...

27. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

So it is on friday. That sucks because i'm only free on the weekend and i wanted to go. Ah well, anybody wanna go saturday or sunday?
    (i'm sorry, i'm not trying to hijack your thread)

28. lostinthewoods

valentin,

You get those vids from ur last run uploaded yet?

also bobby. who is going on friday as of now?

29. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

Not yet, i've had some technical difficulties. :wtc: They should be up this weekend if i get my new firewire cable in time.

30. GTscoob

I'm at least going up with a friend riding along with me. I believe Maniac is also coming along. I planned my work schedule for this week around friday.

Who's in for sure? Kaamacat, how long does that route take do run averaging around the speed limit?

31. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

what time?

32. KaamaCat

KaamaCat Member

GTscoob (here is the directors cut)

Leg
    Dist
    0.0 1) Start from Chevron @ end of RT400. (Top-off-tanks)

4.6 2) Leave Chevron, make LEFT back to RT400 and make LEFT @ light. Travel north. (Up to RT52)

4.7 3) Make LEFT on RT52. (That takes you back out to the bottom of the lake area on RT19)

19.0 4) Make RIGHT on RT19 heading north up to BloodMt/Neels Gap
    (1st Stop)(Need to bear rt @ rt60/rt19 & make LEFT @ Turners Corner by country store)

6.0 5) Continue (rt) onto RT19, BYPASS Vogle/RT180, make RIGHT on 180 further up road.

1.0 6) Right on RT180 and RIGHT onto RT348. (

14.0 7) At bottom of RT348 make LEFT towards Helen on RT75 (short).
    ** At "top" of RT348, on left, is a nice overlook for a group pic. (2nd Stop)

3.0 8) Make LEFT on RT75. Short leg to RT17.

10.0 9) Left onto RT17 heading north towards RT180.
    (You could go right and into Helen for lunch.........)

26.0 10) Make LEFT onto RT180 back over to RT19, frogger south(left) a bit, then make a RIGHT onto 180 towards SUCHES.
    - (Temp stop up at BTB along the way shortly after you get onto RT180?)
    - At end in Suches top-off-tanks?

8.0 11) Make LEFT onto RT60 heading south (@ bottom, bear RT on RT19)

7.0 12) Continue on RT19 to RT52 (just after lake) and make LEFT.

10.1 13) Make LEFT on RT52, then right on RT19 back to Cheveron. (LOOK FAMILIAR?)

Total ~ 113miles. (Leave @ 10am......its a full day with stops, lunch, back to Chevron @ 4pm)

33. KaamaCat

KaamaCat Member

Rumor has it that Fri-Sat is supposed to be 30degrees, wind and snow........ along with AARP Walk-O-Thon thru the mountains. Sunday looks like the better of the days.......:ddirty:

34. im down.... but i voted for Sunday.... PS: cars ready :D

35. sm04subaruwrx

sm04subaruwrx Member

just to let yall know- they are repaving 60. it's towards the end of yalls run but it might be a one lane road like it was when i went up today.

36. Greg

Greg Active Member

I might just go with the EVo/S2K people, they're going on Sunday

37. lostinthewoods

So looks like Friday is just Bobby and myself? IDeas? suggestions. move dates?

38. Greg

Greg Active Member

Saturday... ;)

39. Greg

Greg Active Member

I'd rather go up with WRXatlanta over anyone, but I just can't do it Friday and Sunday is already accounted for

40. Demo24

Demo24 Member

what time?

41. whats so bad about doing it Sunday... if the Evo and Honda guys are going Sun why can't we? it'll be fun.
    what time are they gonna be rolling out?

42. KaamaCat

KaamaCat Member

Even if the other clubs head up, chances are the routes will be totally different. (and probably not a bad idea to have groups split so as not to attact attention).

BTW..... (and not to jack the thread)... Because Sunday is the only day for me, a buddy of mine with a 928 and I would still head out @ 10am from the Chevron, and anyone wanting to join is more than welcome...........and, if you "guys" go Sunday.............. we'll be tagging along! (You guys run a good mt run!)

43. lostinthewoods

Last time I had a big group split up. Every group had harrassed by a cop and I think people were calling the Loud cars in. lol.... Other weekend i was up there and it was nice. Weather is suppose to be awesome this weekend so I imagine the roads are gonna be swamped.

44. KaamaCat

KaamaCat Member

Projected to be 84-85 out!............(but again, its calling for snow on Saturday.... :eek:hnoes: )

45. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

Dahlonega:
    Fri
    Mar 23 Mostly Sunny
    77°/54°

Sat
    Mar 24 Partly Cloudy
    80°/52°

Weather.com

46. lostinthewoods

bobby, i may have to push this out to sat or sunday.. Feeling like crap right now. Actually leaving the client site I am at early so i can get home and sleeeep

47. KaamaCat

KaamaCat Member

Dahlonega:
    Fri
    Mar 23 Mostly Sunny :cool:
    77°/54°

Sat
    Mar 24 Partly Cloudy Not As Nice As Tomorrow :wiggle:
    80°/52°

Sun
    Mar 25 Sunny Perfect Day For A Drive :ddirty:
    84°/55°

Wedder.com

48. GTscoob

I'll give you a call later today about details. It might just be me, you, Capt Ron from IA, and my buddy mike who's codriving with me.