Turbo blanket

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by jonnyboy0150, Mar 22, 2007.

1. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

Is anyone running one of these?? Im thinking about getting one when the new turbo gets here. They look like they would work extremely well. These are the two main ones im looking at...

Boost Logic blanket ($150.00): Im sure its very high quality, but I think its made for much bigger turbos (for Supras), so I'm not sure if it would fit...

[​IMG]

Enjuku Racing blanket ($115.00): Made for SR20's, but would probably have a better chance of fitting than the Boost Logic one. And it's a little cheaper...

[​IMG]

Also going to be doing some heatwrapping. Has anyone tried the new Thermo-tec heatwrap with the copper embedded in it? It is said to be 30% more efficient than the standard wrap, but who knows.

[​IMG]

2. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Not running a blanket like those, but I do have the Static X wrap kit on my VF34. I think it was like $30-40.

3. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

I gotcha. Ill have to check that out!

4. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

if your aim is to keep heat out of the engine bay, then u can do what i did... i cut the factory heat shield, ceramic coated it installed it with the SZ65... works plenty fine in my opinion since the cold pipe running over the turbo stays cold even after hard driving... the nice thing about the stock location turbos is that they sit low in the engine bay and dont get too close to the IC piping like some of the rotated turbos i have seen

now theoretically, the blanket would be better at keeping all the heat within the turbo itself

5. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

I gotcha. Well in that case, Ill try the factory heatshield first (as it is free), and then Ill look into a blanket later on if necessary.

Thanks for the info!

6. veck

veck Member

I ran a turbo blanket on my VF24 and loved it. I did not use a big fancy one like in the picture. I got a generic turbo wrap kit from Summit Racing. There was enough to do several turbos in the kit.

Large heat reduction underhood with it on.

7. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

A turbo wrap like the StaticX one along with your stock heat shield will work just as well and is MUCH cheaper. I have the StaticX wrap only on my FP Red and my FMIC pipe that crosses over the turbo stays cool. I didn't put my heat shield back on. I couldn't see covering that monsterous beauty up.;)

8. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

Yeah, I tried to look up the Static X wrap, but they don't have a website. Anyone know where it is sold or where I could just see a pic of it??

9. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

Here's the website. The number is at the bottom of the page. Robert will take care of you. He will email you a picture since the new site is under construction.
    http://www.staticxmotorsports.com/index.html

10. jonnyboy0150

jonnyboy0150 Member

I appreciate it man!

11. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

Another thing about these turbo blankets, I'm not sure how well they would fit our turbo set up due to the oil/water lines being in the way...
    The turbo wrap only wraps the exhaust housing and not the center oil/water jacket. The blankets seems to cover both. I personally wouldnt want to go cutting and hacking on a $150 turbo blanket.:eek3:

12. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

How hot does the turbo get
    i know it glows after a good run
    but whats the number (F or C)

13. NterceptR

NterceptR New Member