06 sti rear differential

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by wrxracer87, Mar 27, 2007.

1. wrxracer87

wrxracer87 Member

Ever sense i purchased my 02 there has been a roaring noise coming from the rear of the car at 50 mph and plus. One mechanic told me it was the rear differential and then i took it to subaru just to make sure it wasent a wheel bearing and they checked them and said they all looked good. I was wondering if the above item would work for my car and how difficult it would be to install.

2. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

why a specific '06 diff?

Did you check the diff fluid level? It may be low.
    Also you may have some bushings back there that are blown or were swapped for
    stiffer ones (at some point before your purchase) that transmit more NVH.

3. wrxracer87

wrxracer87 Member

im asking about that specific one because i there is one such differential for sale on ebay and i was wondering if it would work. A mechanic tryed to get the drain plug out but it was frozen and he broke like 3 ratchets. I just figured that i probably couldn't get it loose myself unless i had access to a lift. Also how would it be the bushings? It roars loud at like 50 mph and anywhere above that unless i am turning to the left like switching lains kindof fast but only to the left never to the right.

4. ridinobryan

ridinobryan Member

Do you have a sedan or wagon?

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

i might be purchasing an '06 transmission complete package. and if i don't need my rear diff i will sell it to you. either the '06 or the '02

6. pEd

ah, there's one for sale on ebay.

Can't say that I've ever changed a rear axle, but I can't imagine it'd be that hard.

I'd make sure you access to air tools though. Probably lining it up and making sure it's square as possible
    would be the most difficult part.

7. pEd

duh....don't know what the hell I was thinking.
    Since it's an 06, you're going to HAVE to look into swaping the hubs out, which will also mean a
    brake swap along with a strut change and finally a Wheel change (to the 5x114 pattern).

I'd seriously look into getting your current one rebuilt. Don't know that I'd even bother with this swap unless you want to spend some $$$.

8. wrxracer87

wrxracer87 Member

What if i just kept my stock axles or is that even an option?

9. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Won't work. The sti rear diff won't fit without you redoing the entire subframe.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007