Finally Dynoed my car

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Josh WhiteNight, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Update to the White Knight

So this last weekend I was able to get my car strapped down and check the vitals. I didnt get an A/F reading, but I was pleased with my numbers, although not pleased with the way the graph looked. I got 204 HP/213 TQ:wiggle: , but my lines looked like rumble strips, so yeah I need tuned, BAD:wtc: . Oh well, maybe I will get it tuned when I actally get a good cat-back. That was my weekend, I hope all of yours went well.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

what kind of dyno? i have seen squiggly curves (hp/tq) on dynos before and they don't mean its a bad tune

3. it was a Mustang Dyno, they said it loked like the Knock Sensor was pulling timing, which is believable, to me at least. I am running catless with no O2 sensor fix, and stock ecu tuning. I wish I had a scanner so I could show the graph, because the power peaked and then dropped down about 10 HP and TQ around 5200, I think (running from picture memory, I dont have the print out with me).

4. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

the squiggly-ness is just running the OTS map

5. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

that dyno reads lower than most others

6. that is what I have heard, plus I took my father in law home then came back and was right on the dyno, so that was 2 hours of driving before I went on, so I am guessing maybe 215 real HP, 225 tq if that sounds feasable you can see my mods below

7. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

i don't know which dyno reads 'real' numbers... some read low and some read high... the only useful info out of a dyno run is comparative results... and a true comparison can only be made with 2 back to back runs unless all conditions are carefully controlled

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Why arent ya using the agency power catback ?

9. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

those numbers are about right

10. Alex^^Because I can't afford one yet, too many bills with one income:squint: and the wife made me promise not to get anything for the car till she got out here (but thats only 6 weeks from now)...I know, say what you want, lol

11. Confused Korean

Confused Korean New Member

that reminds of tokyo drift lol:rofl: "wow you can read the brochure"

12. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

I had my car dyno'ed at the dynoday and am running stage 2 also. You should definitely be hitting 225hp and 230tq with stage2 93 octane.

13. slight difference though, its the Cobb stg 2 Drivetrain, not Access Port, I have no tuning right now, just running on the stock map, but I am carefully weighing my options, EcuTek, Cobb, OpenECU, and UTEC, we'll see... (getting a lil confused with the Open though, may just go with one of the others)

14. Deke

Deke Active Member

well then that definitely sounds right. I'd say your stage 1, just coming from a different angle.

15. 4/4--Update

Ok, so I should have access to an open ECU cable and software within about a week. Looking for tips and such. From what I have seen the OpenECU forums are not as well laid out as some (kudos guys:) ). Will Open be able to get me the type of results one can get from going with the more conventional forms of EM? The only thing I have to go on is what I see in magazines and read on forums, and it looks like most just go the conventional route (piggy-backs, EcuTek, Cobb, etc.). Will I be able to clear CEL's? I know I can do all the mapping and such, but for the future would I be able to achieve the Higher HP #s that EcuTek and Utec get? Any input would be appreciated. Maybe I'm just not brave enough to venture into end user programing, or maybe I just havent done enough research...

16. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

just research on enginuity topic more. You will gain alot of stuffs. Make sure to get wideband as well. This is a MUST to have for tuning. ultimate, the power output depends how much you want to push. ecutek, cobb, utec, openecu all can get you very similar horsepower at the end.

17. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

some of our members have good knowledge on openECU.... hit up moose

18. Ok, so I will proably be doing my 60k this weekend, as well as adding a lightweight crank pulley, pitchstop, and TUNE:bowdown: !!!! I am not 100% sure on the tune, but I should be able to arrange for some time, and we will see what happens. Going with the Enginuity, and should be able to realize a small gain, I just want to get it richened up before the AZ scorching heat leans me out and blows my engine into oblivion. I will try to post updates as soon as I know what exactly is going down:coolugh: . Peace for now...

19. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

if you want the high satisfying #'s go to a place with dynojet.
    makes you feel good afterwards.

but the important thing is the difference between your base #s and after tune/modded number.

20. well, I can get "free" (note the quotes, nothing is free:squint: )time on a mustang dyno, one of the perks of being in the industry, and I would rather read lower/more conservatively, and have a little more umph than the dyno reads, besides, like so many have said the Mustang reads a little lower, and SAE developed a new procedure for HP #s (same models reading lower #s than before), so I should be a little more on par with the type of #s new cars are putting out. Seems like a good guage in power to me, but all that counts is my fuel and timing getting me more reliable/useable power.

21. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Not that this is ethical...but I'd find someone with some kind of tune and read and copy their ECU with your cable and laptop (enginuity/ecuflash). Then work from there or just copy it straight to yours. This will work for anyone with cobb or ecutek as i understand it. Your simply taking an imprint of their ECU and then copying it to yours. But it's not all bad as I do recommend some custom tuning to suit your personal and vehicle specific needs. And PM "moose" on here...he is extremely knowledgable on openecu and such.

Also a good place to start is OSECUroms.org. This is where I got a stage 2 base map and then had it tuned further from there to my specific car. Be sure to register to that site or you won't be able to see all the forums that contain the maps. I have been very happy with openecu and/or enginuity. The hardest part is knowing what and how to tune. But osecuroms.org is a great place to learn aswell as moose.

another good place to learn is www.scoobypedia.co.uk/

oh and a side note: once you've reflashed your ecu, you will want to reset your ecu and do the vishnu quick learning technique to extract the full hp of the reflash. detailed instructions are here.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  22. I will look into those and may PM moose if I need any help, but one of the guys here at work has been messing with OS for a while and has been to AEM and going to GReddys tuning seminar this weekend (so my tune will probably be done next weekend), so he has a pretty good grasp of what to do. I am still learning as well, so I will probably learn a lot when it is done. Like I said, I just want to get it running well, not going for full power extraction yet, maybe once i get my cat-back on I will go a little more aggressive. I appreciate all the help, and I have been reading the vishnu thread, can this be done on the dyno? Or would it be better on the road?

23. New Additions/Subtractions

Ok, so it was a boring afternoon and I decided to do a few things with the Subbie. I took a tip from Alex and did this:bowdown: , since I am about 2k mi away and cant have him do it...I think It turned out great!
    Also I finally have some pics of my trunk install (another boring afternoon, but it was back in Ohio about 9 months ago).
    Hope you enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]