Safe to fully remove INTAKE silencer?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AtlxPat, May 3, 2007.

1. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

i got a question before i try this tomorrow, if i fully remove the silencer, fully and not replacing it with any thing, is that dangerous? I'm thinking of just hacking the oem and putting it back it

2. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

are you talking about a silencer or a resonator?

3. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

ok the big resonator i guess, the thing between ram scoop and airbox to be exact

4. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

Oh on the intake...thought you were referring to the exhaust. It's fine to remove the silencer...no matter what anyone says. No dangers at all. You can get the elbow from GP moto i believe, that connects the scoop to the air box. Directly replaces the silencer.

5. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

I took the snorkus off the day I brought the STi home and no problems here...

6. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

you're totally fine, what i did was saw off the bix boxy thing from the pipe and then took a torch to it to make sure the fuzzies were gone. then reassembled. this way you're still pulling air from outside the engine bay.

7. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

ahh the intake silencer/snorkus..I thought you were talking about the exhaust. you will be fine removing it. one of the best free mods there is.

same

8. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

Nice call, thats a great idea especially with all this hot weather breathing down our necks.

9. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

I am considering removing my snorkus this weekend, is it better to run ducting to replace the snorkus or leave it open in the fender(i.e. difference in sound or performance)?

10. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Fixed the Title

11. Yeah i removed mine and cut it off at the fattest part that would still leave me connected to the front air intake.

12. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

yea i just took it off, took me 15 minutes. i sawed off the thin part connecting to the gallon sized jug lol
    went for a test drive and theres not much difference, just a tad louder heh...my hks carbon-ti should fix that:ddirty:

13. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

you should be able to hear some spool up and a more pronounced blowoff valve, and if you get a downpipe and/or turbo back exhaust it will make those too things even more noticeable.

14. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

yea i can hear it spool and the bpv go off at times

15. KingofSiam

KingofSiam Member

Hey bumparooni is there any way to remove the silencer without jacking the car up or taking the wheel off?

Thanks.

edit: hmm lots of info after sifting through the threads so.. uh, nevermind I guess : )

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007