sti tranny

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by sleeper31204, Apr 10, 2007.

1. sleeper31204

sleeper31204 Member

Hey, I'm new here, heard about this place from a Subi dealer ship up above Atl. I was hoping some one could point me in the right direction for finding a slightly used (but still good) Sti tranny. I hear there bullet proof, and was hoping to find out first hand you know.?.

I drive a 02 WRX, Cobb stg 2 with up pipe, turbo back, and a cold air intake.

I took my car up to the dealership and had them do a diagnostics on the tranny and came up with these items are not working well.
    (1) Roller Bearin ---- $24.38
    (2) Washer ---- $3.63
    (3) Snap Ring ----$ 7.52
    (4) Washer #2 ---- $ 7.43
    (5) Gear Transfer ----$ 111.57
    (6) Roller Bearin #2 ---- $36.42
    (7) Ball Bearin ---- $36.42
    (8) Gear Transfer #2 ---- $162.10
    (9) Center Diff A 118G ----$ 499.96
    (10) Oil Seal ---- $8.00

Total ---- $897.43
    Labor for the guys there to do it ---- $ 1,500

Thats when the guy that was and is still helping me out told me about the Sti swap.

Thanks for any help.
    -William...

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

an STi swap is gonna cost you in excess of 3000 at the very least. Most people usually spend upwards of 5000 tho. i just spent 3000 on a 2006 WRX tranny, not even STi. so, just find yourself a new wrx tranny for alot less. the labor to swap is only about 800 bucks, so the rest of the cost is just how cheap u can find the tranny.

3. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I have an 06 STI Tranny forsale. Hit me up via PM and Ill tell you about it.

Matt

4. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

matt what are you guys putting in the onelap car?

5. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

Sleeper 31204, what were your transmission issues. Was this SOG? The reason I ask is that they diagnosed a car I bought (2002 WRX 5MT) during a used car inspection with a similar list. The symptoms of my car are some transmission / diff whine above 40 mph. Also on acceleration, there is a bit more howl from what they say is the center diff. I have opted not to get it repaired and will drive until it fails and will then look for a new used tranny. The seller gave me a good portion off sale price to compensate for this.

Seems unusual to have to diagnosis so similar (unless we have the same problem).

6. sleeper31204

sleeper31204 Member

WOW, Thats sick in comparison.
    Yeah, it was SOG by the way. I found a good deal from a company Cobb turned me too.

http://www.boxer4racing.com/

Thats them, they got a gear set starting at 15 hundred, they have a used case for 450 and the labor to install the gears, (them doing the work) will run about 8oo. With tax and shipping, it ball parked at like 32 hundred, which isn't that bad considering the gears. Here....STi Type RA Synchromesh Close Ratio Gear Sets.

How many miles on your car??

7. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

This price still doesn't include installing in your car. Expect at least another $800 for that, but most likely more like $1500 for all the labor.

8. sleeper31204

sleeper31204 Member

for last

I'm doing the install my self, well me and a friend. I'll do my homework on the matter and plane a weekend out in advance. I don't think it will be too hard for a transmission, this way, I can my short shifter and clutch at the same time. :banana:

Does anyone know how much a tranny weighs??

-William...

9. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

how about you just get an sti ra transmission? no install charges and it's built to factory tolerances and comes with dccd. they usually run 2,000-2,500 plus shipping.

10. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

i've got a version 6 non-ra sti tranny and 4.44 diffs for sale for the right price. 1-3 gears are longer, anyone that has taken a ride in my car can vouch for it being pretty darn quick.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  11. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

At the time it had about 60,400 miles. BTW, being only 400 miles outside of warranty, SOG / Subaru America refused to consider goodwill warranty or even give us a break on cost of repair. Needless to say, I won't be going back there.

12. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

They are in the business of making money, paying for youre tranny would not be making money. Numbers are numbers and you went past the limit, don't get mad at them.

Matt

13. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

My experience with Honda is that to a loyal customer (at least in terms of service - previous owner had all sercive done there) - is that they would at least help. A good comprimise would have gotten the parts free and he paid labor. This treatment to a loyal customer would make me think twice about buying a new Subaru.

BTW, Sleeper, what were your problems / symptoms?

14. sleeper31204

sleeper31204 Member

Well I didn't notice anything until the guy at SOG put it up in the air and said "come and listen to this". Thats when I noticed the noise. The problems are those at the beginning of this thread, well those are the parts the guy said he thought were not working right, but he also said that he could not put any guaranty on it. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything but I told him I was not down with dropin 25 hundred on something that may not fix it, its really just a noise tho.

Something else, I noticed since I got my car back from them, well not like they keep it overnight or anything, but when they got done with it I noticed hardly no low end power at all. I called Cobb and they said to reset the ECU, did that and only feels like a little. I think it may be the up pipe gasket so I placed an order today and should have a new one for this weekend.

Also, I wasn't sure where to place this subject, so this is will have to do I guess. I have a 2.0 motor with cold air intake, up pipe and turbo back kit (3") btw. I have a Cobb accessport v2. running stg 2 map. The motor has about 80,000 miles on it and still runs pretty good, but I want power, and I'm not looking at getting a lot now, it would be a build, you know? But would a new block be the best way to start off, and if so, could I use my heads or would new ones be better? I considered a turbo upgrade but like I said, the motor already has a few miles on it, and I would like to see numbers in the 500+whp.

Thanks for the help on this.
    -William...

15. sleeper31204

sleeper31204 Member

16. roorunner

roorunner New Member

I had a few problems with Vivid Racing; I will not shop there again. Other people may have a different opinion tho.