methanol woes

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Brian, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Brian

Brian Active Member

OK, so I've been staying off boost for a couple months since I've been out of meth. Urgh, the STi was too slow. So I finally picked up my 30 gallon drum of VP M1 methanol today. Yeah! Quick meth test, RPM's drop, check. Quick run down the highway confirms warp speed still works. However, there's wetness around the battery when I get back. Uh oh. I got amy in the car to rev and hit the meth test. Sure as shit goes downhill, there's methanol spraying out the bottom of the pump. AGAIN! This is the second time I'll have to send it back for leaking. At least I've heard SMC has come up with a permanent seal fix. Right? Anyone?

2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

thats what i hear... but i have heard that before too

i'm going to start looking at other kits

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yep. I'm on my 5th pump now and each time the pump was revised. The last pump had the revised seals and it lasted longer than any other. Now the new pump has the new seals and has bolts that go all the way through the pump with a nut on the other side. It's supposed to work but we'll see. Steve has been awesome though....speaking of which I need to ship the damaged pump back. However I'm getting sick of the constant failures though.

4. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

have you thought about running a cobb so you don't have to worry about boost without meth? (i.e. switch maps)

5. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

but that doesn't permanently fix brian's (or smc) pump problem

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I can switch maps all day long with my Ecutek license ;)

7. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

well, no it doesn't... but he was talking about staying off the boost because he was out of meth. which must suck, but would make the sump issue suck a little less until it's fixed.

but my screen is PRETTIER lol.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  8. Brian

Brian Active Member

At least it's only leaking when it's spraying now. Before it would leak until the level was low enough. I'll get it fixed soon (after I've gotten enough jollies w/ my new toy)

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Hahaha mine is bigger! Delta Dash FTMFW! I had Cobb first so I can't say anything.

10. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

If it's leaking when it sprays then the meth pressure is lower making it LEANER. Not safe...

SS

11. Brian

Brian Active Member

Argh, you're right. Grrr, guess I'll be uninstalling it sooner than later.

12. techlord

techlord Active Member

have you thought about the trunk mount? I have not been through any pumps for over a year.

13. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

coolrex had a trunk kit that leaked

14. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

my SMC kits seems to be running fine, the pump is the older style metal shell...maybe the newer style black shell(Denso? not sure) pumps are having more seal issues...I'm sure there they will take care of you. SMC is the most popular kit around and you should give them a second chance.

15. Brian

Brian Active Member

^^ This wasn't meant to be a SMC flame. Steve took care of me without any hassles last time it leaked. But I needed to vent after waiting so long to get meth then having a leak.

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah Steve is awesome when it comes to customer service. He has sent me new pumps everytime and all I had to do was ship mine back. Last time he even sent me the pump first so I wouldn't have any downtime.

17. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

it's cool, let me know how it turns out because I am also looking forward to upgrade to a newer style pump, good luck

I might also look into a gt30r or something, so if you are comming out to any meets anytime soon, please drop me a line, thank you :)

18. techlord

techlord Active Member

Not too happy to hear that I was sure it was the heat under the hood causing the problem. I will be sure to keep an eye on it going forward.

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The heat accellerates the seal leak process but the problem still existed. So far my new pump is holding up but it's too soon to tell. If it makes it 6 months then I will say it's fixed. I'm busting the seals on avg every 2-3 months.

20. Brian

Brian Active Member

2-3 months? How much meth are you using up in that time?

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

About 5-7 gallons.

22. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

wow, when is it start spraying? Do you really need that much?

I wonder what is the max work load for these pumps... probably not all that much

23. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

It starts spraying at 10 psi and max spray at 14-16 psi. Pump nets around 120 psi I think in the lines.

I am constantly on the gas in my car.....wide open country roads beg for mercy!

24. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

I've had my JDM Spec C "meth" tank in the trunk for well over a year without any problems. I had two pumps fail within 2 months while using the under-the-hood kit. But the trunk kit has been flawless.

25. Brian

Brian Active Member

That sounds pretty good, but after all these meth leaks it makes me super nervous mounting it in the trunk.

26. 06BlUEBOY

06BlUEBOY New Member

that's why i'm going with perrin meth kit. it might cost alot but it is worth it.

27. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Be sure to write a review for us!

28. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Are you running pure meth or 50-50 mix? CoolRex was running pure meth in his trunk kit and the pump failed.

I don't know much about the perrin kit. How long has it been out and have there been any known problems?

29. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

I'm running pure meth and have been since day one.:)

30. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

You are my hero. I'll be running meth in the fall too :D.

31. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Milo if you contact Steve at SMC he will replace the pump you have now. If you need his number let me know. My new pump so far has been working fine but it's only been in there a month. Speaking of which I've gotta send the original back to Steve.

32. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Scott has my tank/pump. I'm going to pick up a spec C tank and have Scott send it (along with the pump) to SMC. I want to have the kit ready before I return to Atlanta in August. Hopefully I'll have it installed and tuned by September :D

33. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

cant wait to have you back here milo

34. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

That's when the fun will really begin for you.:naughty:

35. techlord

techlord Active Member

Well, another meth pump bites the dust!
    I got it to Steve (SMC) today and he fixed it today and shipped it back to me TODAY! Holy Chit what a guy, he has definitely set the standard for customer service!

Cliff notes:I bought the system USED over a year ago...NO questions asked he is replacing the pump with the new design all for the grand total of FREE.

SMC METH INJECTION SYSTEM is the ONLY way to go!!!

36. Deke

Deke Active Member

So why can't someone just make a meth pump that works? Is there some property of meth that just doesn't allow for this?

37. FACE

FACE Active Member

yeah thats a good question. It be nice if i understood a bit more about meth inj

38. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Meth is highly corrosive and it causes the seals to swell.

DANG I got to send my original pump back! Doing that Saturday when I send the ol 18g back to Deadbolt for some upgrades.

39. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

40. FACE

FACE Active Member

:coolugh: thanks man! now i somewhat understant

41. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

No problem.