Yakima or Thule -- Help me decide

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rexrocker, Mar 16, 2007.

1. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  2. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

I have the Yakima and have no problems. They're soooo similar I wouldn't sweat it. Don't forget the tube tops- they keep the straps off your bike's paint and the bike further down and out of the wind.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Ive always liked Thule, they're name is awesome.

4. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

I say either.. both basically same. ...we use thule and saris stuff here :p

5. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Hold up...I actually may be able to run the Thule T2 916 which is really what I want, but I'm getting conflicting hitch class requirement info. Grrr.

[​IMG]

6. lostinthewoods

That is the one i would highly suggest. Specially if you have mt bikes or so in the future that have odd frame designs.

All you need is to have it fit a 1.25in hitch.

7. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i've got a yakima and it's roof-mount... which i would recommend. black and blue is a pretty serious MTB guy, you should talk to him about it.

8. lostinthewoods

whats the issue man

thule site says:

No wheel removal, no frame contact.
    4 Bike – 2” hitch, 2 Bike – 1-1/4” hitch.
    Folds up for storage and down for access!
    Fits a wide range of bikes.
    Carries bikes up to 60 lbs. (160 lbs. total - 4 Bike / 100lbs. Total - 2 Bike 1-14”)
    Fits wheels 20”-29” and up to 3” wide tires
    Accommodates bike with wheel bases up to 48"
    Locking accessory available.
    Thule One-KeyTM System Compatible.

9. lostinthewoods

Ask clay about his last roof mount :)

10. lostinthewoods

11. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

i love my yakima but i've used thule as well on friends cars and been impressed. i'd say just pick the product not the brand in this case because they're just too similar. ive never used saris so i cant compare.

12. bluetwo

bluetwo Active Member

Ha ha!

I say Thule just because I spent two weeks actually on the hill as we call it (Yakima Washington that is) and the weather is so harsh! I loved the terrain and the view but I've never been so beat down after a field exercise. Yakima really is beautiful though.

[endthreadjack]

13. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Thule publishes that this rack requires a class II hitch, minimum tongue weight 300lbs. However, the instruction manual says that the rack on a 1 1/4" class I hitch is capable of carrying two bikes. I'm just corn-fused and I didn't want to drop 400 bills on a rack that won't work with my hitch. ;) After being on hold with Thule for almost 30 minutes, the rep basically said as long as I don't exceed the weight requirements, all should be well. He said they publish a class II requirement because there are "too many variables to test" -- bike weight, hitch design, etc. --, which to me, means there is basically less responsibility on them. Anyways...that was long winded. :)

:fawk:

^^ Saris is nice, but more expensive then the Thule.

14. lostinthewoods

Clay. Your bike isnt a 80lb huffy :)

No worries man. Get thule. Call it done.

15. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

just strap the bike to the diffuser and the wing and be done with it. it'll totally work...

16. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

I was hoping rack weight requirements would force me to get a carbon fiber frame. Durn it. ;)

:rofl:

17. monk

LOL!

did it involved pulling into a garage or drive-thru?

18. lostinthewoods

^^^^^
    Clay care to elaborate :rofl: :rofl:

19. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Since I've already started drinking, for Keith's amusement I will elaborate. Turd.

"Garage vs. Bike on roof rack vs. WRX"

The bike had been on and off the rack all day...nice ride with Keith at Stone Mtn., drove home removed bike, hit the bike shop for a quick tune up - bike back on, bike off at bike shop, new saddle installed, refit on bike, bike back on...homeward bound. Pulled into garage with bike on roof...grrr. BAM. Luckily, I stopped very quickly and didn't do too much damage. The left front foot sliced the metal drip trays above the window like a can opener, dinged the roof slightly above the rear window and bent two of the load bars on the rack. Surprisingly, no other damage to car or rack. The biggest damage was to my pride - I couldn't believe it. My buddy at the bike shop told me it happens all the time, somehow that didn't ease my mood. Anyways, the bike was fine, beyond screwing up a brand new $150 Fizik saddle that I hadn't even ridden on yet. Argh. The car was fixed after I traded it in.

Ok, dirty laundry aired. Keith, happy? :p You just wait until the next bike ride my friend. ;) Back to beer.

20. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

And thanks for all the help and suggestions folks. Looks like I'm going with the 917 T2.

21. lostinthewoods

Well done clay.. drink up and down

22. monk

lol, it was good read man... it actually does happen a lot so pride aside the saddle thing sux ;) i haven't gone out in a while but luckily it hasn't happened to me. yet.

23. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

jason is weak, he doesnt know anything :D

24. sti37

sti37 New Member

i recommend the yakima brand

25. lostinthewoods

He has all ready made the purchase :)

26. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Yup, thanks for posting up though. I went with the Thule T2...still need to post pics. It's the bomb. Finally had a chance to carry two bikes on it and it worked out great!