Brake Question

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by clemsonscooby, May 31, 2007.

1. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

Can squeeling of brakes be due to the rotor only? Meaning can brakes still squeel if there is meat on the pad. My front rotors are warn in pretty bad so that I have a lip on the outside edge. I was wondering if I can get away with just replacing the rotor and not the front pads.

2. delruss44

delruss44 New Member

Replacing just rotors would be acceptable unless there are grooves in the pads. You would just have to break in the brakes like everything was new. You might be able to get them turned down for more usage unless they're to far gone. Need me to help let me know!

3. Yes rotor surface can cause noises, usu. the noise is from a glazed rotor ( very shiny- chrome looking) or the pad is making a noise where it conatacts the caliper(mount or piston) (sometimes you can lube between the shims and where the pads contact the bracket.

4. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

Hey Russ, this is the first post I've seen from you. I am guessing the rotors have to be replaced. The lip on the outside is pretty significant. I will let you know when I get the rotors, but its an easy job.

5. sti37

sti37 New Member

if you have less than 36,000 miles on the car the dealer should replace the pads for free under warranty