Noob question...

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by TEC, Jul 19, 2007.

1. TEC

TEC New Member

I apoligize in advance if this is the wrong section for this question.

I need to pick up a EJ257 short block for a project car. I have a guy that is willing to sell me his block which has slight cylinder damage and a bad set of rings in one cyl. for $700. The cylinder damage looks like it can be honed out. Is this a decent price for a block in this condition?

Thanks in advance.

2. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

First off, how did the cylinder get damaged? Make sure that there isn't other things wrong with this block before you go dropping the $.

3. ARNOLDWRX

ARNOLDWRX Member

will he allow you to take the block down to a machine shop for them to look at it first?
    you don`t want to throw money into something that cann`t be used because the damage is to bad.
    check that first then if the block is still rebuildable, the less money the better you may need a crank or rods and pistons. you will need a a new oil pump, oil pan, oil pick up tube with the build.

4. TEC

TEC New Member

I have inspected the block. It looks like one of the rings broke and scored the cylinder wall. It should be fixable with a hone or at worse an over bore and hone. I was planning on upgrading the pistons, rods and headgaskets anyway.

I have what I believe to be a complete EJ205 long block. I was planning on swapping over parts (except the heads) to the new EJ257 block. I was told this is possible, if not I'll souce parts for it. BTW, where can I find a good, reasonable price set of STI ver.8 heads?

My question still is whether or not this is a fair price or would it be possible to buy a used ej257 block in better shape for the same money? If I can buy a better block and not pay for honing and such I would rather do that.

5. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Thats way too much for that block, 400 max.

There is no such thing as reasonably priced V8. heads.

If you can find them for less than 2 grand you are doing good.

Matt

6. TEC

TEC New Member

Thanks for those answers Matt. That is what I was looking for.

Now I'll try to see if I can locate another block.

7. ARNOLDWRX

ARNOLDWRX Member

if you were to buy a better block and you placed new (forged) pistons in you should have it honed any way to insure a clean perfect surface for the rings to move on anyway.
    $700 does not sound bad but if you can get a few hundred off that would be better, make an offer all they can say is no and make a counter offer.

and wrx head will bolt to a 2.5 block with no issues, just make sure you use a 2.5 head gasket.

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

400 is a fair price. No way I would pay more than 500 for a block with that kind of damage..

9. ARNOLDWRX

ARNOLDWRX Member

he inspected the block and is in good shape?
    it is needs a hone.

10. TEC

TEC New Member

I know that the wrx heads will fit but I was told that the quench area of the bowls were not optimal for the 2.5.

So what is a ok price to pay for a 2.5 ej257 block in good shape?

11. ARNOLDWRX

ARNOLDWRX Member

thats why i said to take it to a shop or to some who can open the case.
    if it is just a little cyl wall damage like you said, then $500ish does not sound bad.
    but does it have any crank damage? does it need rods? are the pistons cracked? is the bottom part of the case damaged?
    the answer to those questions will set if you should offer $200-$300 for the thing, or if it is just a cracked piston ring that damaged the cyl wall then 500ish my due?
    it is your call.