Boost Issues

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by midnight_rider, Jul 18, 2007.

1. A friend and I recently installed a boost gauge on my car and his (both '02 WRX). At full throttle my boost gauge reads AT MOST 7 psi. I assumed that was normal for a stock turbo. My friend has a completely stock car and his gauge was reading around 13-15 psi at full throttle. I do have a GReddy BOV and my friends thinks this may be why Im not getting the boost...I was reading on how BOVs work and is it possible that the spring is set to soft/hard and if I adjusted it would it make that much of a difference?

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Have you ever removed your turbo?

3. not since Ive had it.

4. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

Definitely sounds like there is a boost leak somewhere before the intake manifold. The most possible cause would be a leak from Greddy BOV,

5. FACE

FACE Active Member

I have met a few folks that have had boost issues with a bov. you really don't need a bov unless you are driving a beast...Right?...anyone... or unless you just like the noise maker...

6. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

^^^That is correct. No matter how cool you feel when you try to street race someone and pull up next to them so they can hear you BOV, its not making you faster. Put back on the stock recirc valve and return to your normal power.

7. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

7 psi can be either:

1) The car is in limp mode - fill it up with Shell or Chevron 93 and then reset the ecu
    2) Your boost control solenoid is hooked up wrong or has gone bad. I have a spare if you want to try it

If it was a bad enough boost leak to run only 7, it would be running so rich that it would run horribly. If the exhaust leak was so bad to create only 7 psi, you would be able to hear a bad exhaust leak.

Siegel

8. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

3- the factory restrictor pill could also be missing from the lines that go from the turbo/wastegate to the solenoid

9. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

thats what i was going to say. good addition.

10. I'll try anything that will get me the boost back...

How do I reset the ECU?

and if that isnt the problem Id definitely like to try replacing the boost control solenoid ...

I'll will probably be needing the BOV in the near future I have a much bigger turbo for the car I just need a bigger intercooler and injectors.

11. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I installed a cheap ebay bov which was a knock off of the greddy and it made my car run shitty and cut my boost in half. What did u use to plug the recirculation hose? I put my stock bov on and it was fine. I recently put a HKS SSV on and yesterday I noticed my vaccuum on the boost guage wasn't as low as it usually is and also my boost is peaking at 10, but at night I noticed it goes to 13 sop I assumed this is because of the temperature during the day? I also have a loud exhaust leak in my taillpipe which I willbe replacing this week as soon as I find a shop that can fit the catback I have (nemesis' old one) to a Helix Downpipe.

I have another question. I was checking for other leaks and noticed that when I turned the throttle from under the engine bay I could feel air swooshing from the front of the motor, possibly another leak or is this normal?

12. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Disconnect the battery. Stand on the brake pedal for 5 seconds. Reconnect the battery. ECU will be reset.

Before doing that, check for the restrictor pill like Doug recommended.

13. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

I was covering the pill issue with the "hooked up wrong" :D

Siegel

14. ARNOLDWRX

ARNOLDWRX Member

first thing first guys!

put it back to factory first that will not take that long and is not hard to do.
    you seem to not have the issue before the bov, so put all oem parts on, drive the car with the boost gauge.
    then start your diagnosis from the best known base line components which is oem.

if your boost issue is fixxed, then you replace your bov or look elsewhere for the problem.

15. Ive always had the BOV (I bought it with the car). I just recently realized that I wasnt getting the boost I should be getting when riding beside a friends car and he took off and I went nowhere.

On another note....from looking at pictures the pill looks to be in the hose connected to the BOV. I just recently cut that line to install the boost gauge. I dont think this could be the cause because the vaccumm sits at 15 or 20 at idle but I dont really know for sure. possible cause?

16. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Hmmm.... I think u have a leak in the bov that u never noticed until putting the boost guage on. My vacuum at idle is at 30. I guess I was just paranoid about having problems with my new bov cause everything is fine, I realized I don't drive at full throttle so its not peaking the boost. But yet, stock its supposed to be 13 so I think you're leaking somewhere. How long have u had the car?

17. ARNOLDWRX

ARNOLDWRX Member

you can put pressure in the intake. (low pressure) and take a spray bottle with soap water in it and spray it every where on the intake: line, runners, piping, clamps, intercooler, bov, fitting etc...
    that is a clean and easy way to find the leak.
    call SS he has a tool he made to leak check intakes, it works great and it is simple to make or install.

18. Its quite possible that Ive had the leak the entire time and never noticed...Ive never had anything to compare it to until recently. I've had the car for going on 9 months.

I'm going to see SS on monday to let him look at it.

19. ARNOLDWRX

ARNOLDWRX Member

let use know how it works?

20. DING DING DING DING give the man a prize.

21. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

so how are u liking the extra 5-6 lbs?

22. definitely as much as I can enjoy it until I replace my clutch

23. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

So how much does a boost control solenoid cost?

I see in the subaru manual there is something called the wasetgate solenoid valve. Is this the same thing?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007