Considering STI - Differences vs. Stg 2 WRX?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by YallerWRX, Jun 3, 2005.

1. YallerWRX

YallerWRX New Member

Hello out there. I am considering "upgrading" to a new STI. My '03 WRX has Cobb AP Stg 2 and I like it, but with 40K miles already (it's my daily driver) I am at the point of deciding whether or not to do wheels and more mods or save the $$ and go for the STI. I have never driven an STI. It's at least 65 miles to SOG and I don't really want to go drive one and risk getting the new car "fever" until I have more info. So, if any of you have experience with both cars and would like to comment I would appreciate it. Specifically, going from 280hp to 300 would be good, but I expect the torgue increase would be more noticeable. Is that right? Is it reeaalllly noticeable? What about gas mileage. I know, it's not exactly why to buy an STI, but I now get 26 mpg regularly (330-340 miles on a tank) and just want to know what to expect. I'm almost ready to retire and gas ain't getting cheaper. Could someone please verify my understanding that my TBE could be moved to the new car, my AP unmarried from the WRX and used on the STI, and that I would then have a Stage 2 STI instead of WRX? Sorry for the long thread. I'm either going to do this or get a C6 at the factory in Bowling Green. I don't think I can give up the AWD so the C6 is second choice right now. Thanks!

2. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

Gas mileage will heavy depend on how heavy ur foot is, i have gotten as good as 25mpg and as bad as 16mpg in my sti. I cant say for sure for the cobb ap, send them an email and ask, if not u can always go ecutek. As for the TBE, it will fit. pm me and i might take for a ride in mine, and might let u drive it. But be warned if u do u will more than likely buy one. Really the choice is yours, remember there are tons of stuff to do to the wrx's, u mignt want to hang on to it.

3. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I will attempt to answer a few of these questions. The TBE should be a direct swap. The AP, and someone else jump in if I am wrong, will not swap over to the STI. You would need to sell it and buy an STI version. The cool thing about the accessport is that they are fairly easy to sell. As for the difference in Stage 2 to STI, night and day. The STI will walk a stage 2. The torque from the 2.5L is noticeable and the interior is much nicer (IMHO). The dccd, intercooler sprayer, and nicer wheels/tires, are worth thousands and can't really be matched cost effectively for the WRX (well, maybe the sprayer and wheels, but not the DCCD). Plus you get a 6 speed, which is always "pimp", as the kids say. However, if you don't need the speed and like to mod your car, then stick with the WRX. I envy the STI owners, but I would just end up modding an STI as well and I have no need for that much speed/power/handling, right now. If in your retirement, you think you may start doing frequent track days, autoX, etc. then suck it up and get the STI as you will be playing catch up with the STI's and putting even more money into your car...Alternately, the 06 WRX's are supposed to come with the 2.5L engine and a nicer interior. You may want to wait and see what makes it to market. Oh!! and Scott Siegel (sp?) at SOG, as well as a number of other people at this point, have mentioned a TR edition of the WRX which will be more aggressively tuned by the factory, lightened and have a better suspension/brake combo. It is supposed to hit market this year with the 2.5L as well. I would say wait a few months and see what plays out. Hope this helps!!! One more thing, also rumors of an STI Forrester for 07...if thats your thing...

4. RADON

RADON Member

I can comment on moving from a 2.0L Stage2 Cobb AP WRX to 2.5L Legacy GT. I know these are two very different cars, but the extra 0.5L makes a world of difference. The LGT has so much more low end grunt than my WRX and has much quicker acceleration at freeway speeds.

The Accessport is not interchangable between the WRX and the STi, but they sell quick and retain most of their value as they aren't a wear and tear item. I sold my WRX AP for $500.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  5. YallerWRX

YallerWRX New Member

Thanks, guys, it's all good stuff to know, especially needing to get an AP specific for the STI. I also didn't know about a possible TR version of the WRX. I think I'll wait for the '06's and check with Scott at SOG before doing anything. I must wait. I must not go drive an STI. I can do it. Aaarrgggh. I think I can. I think I can.

6. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yea the sti is in a different league compared to the wrx..if you test drive one you will most likely buy one

7. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

im not a big fan of the 6 speed... from what ive heard, if u mod a wrx to make the same power as an sti, the wrx will win in the 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times just because of the 5 speed... plus i like the 5 speed for autoX

8. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

yea but the sti 6speed is practically bulletproof compared to our 5 speeds

9. BelvnAWD

And by the time you've modded the WRX to STI levels, you could have gotten an STI...the STI will always be a better package, $ for $...IMHO.

10. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

i second that, besides the evo, look at cars to compare to the sti stock and their price range. The sti will look like a deal.

11. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I believe that the lightened, better tuned 2.5 WRX for 06 is actually the WR not TR. I am curious as to how much of a difference that extra .5 is going to make considering that the 06 2.5 WRX is still supposed to be about 230 HP.

12. BelvnAWD

Jason,
    I am thinking the low end torque produced by the 2.5 will make it a better daily driver and autoxer than the current setup. Even with similar HP numbers...

Oh, and it may be WR, not sure, I have seen both designations posted...