Reuse clutch throwout and release bearings?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by GTscoob, Jul 31, 2007.

1. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

So Liquidforce has my motor out awaiting the swap and he took out the clutch. Is it necessary to use brand new throwout and release bearings on the clutch each time you remove and reinstall the clutch assembly?

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

don't know that its necessary. but i'm pretty sure most installers will install a new one. since 99% of new clutch kits come with them.

3. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

i would swap it if i were you, it cant hurt.

4. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

I agree with others. If you are replacing the clutch mine as well replace everything, so you dont have to do it in the future.

5. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

If this is a brand new clutch then yes. If you are just taking it off for some reason, you don't have to, because you have exceeded the life of the bearings. I have always found it hard to get the bearing off of the pressure plate to even reuse it. When I tried to pull it off the oe plate it started to bend it was in there that tight.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Are you getting the new clutch and flywheel over-nighted?

If everything comes in by tommorow we can have it all back together for the dyno day.

7. ARNOLDWRX

ARNOLDWRX Member

did you take the clip out of the back side of the plate?

you pull the bearing out if you pry it but there is a clip that holds it in and after removing it, the thing just falls out on you.

also if you are replacing the clutch, do not forget the pilot bearing that is in the flywheel

8. do it now. so you do not have to do it later.

9. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

Replaced The Bearings, I Had To Reuse My Throwout Bearing Cause The One In The Kit Was The Wrong One For My Car And A Week Later I Started Hearing This Gurgling Sound From The Bearing At Idle Or Down Shift Coasting. It Is Hella Anoying And It Will Be Worth It To Just Go Ahead And Replace It While You Got It All Torn Apart.