WRX on e85??

Discussion in 'General Community' started by StarquestAndyR, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Hmm, interesting indeed.

2. FACE

FACE Active Member

Cool!

3. Kr@zYmEx!c@n

Kr@zYmEx!c@n New Member

i still wouldnt take the chance. 93 pump gas ftw !

4. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

I have tuned a few sti's on e85 and can't wait till we can get the stuff down here. Its like tuning on 104oct race fuel but with better cylinder cooling properties.

5. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

Are there any changes that need to be made to our cars to run it (fuel pump, hoses, ect)?

6. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

Ethanol is a solvent and will cause rubber to deteriorate more quickly, so all rubber parts in contact with fuel would need to be replaced.

Also interesting is that ethanol has less energy per unit volume than gas; Ethanol only has about 30% less energy than the same amount of gas.

http://www.carbibles.com/fuel_engine_bible_pg2.html

But, I wonder, does ethanol have a high enough octane rating compensate for the lack of energy compared to gas in normal cars? I know that there are race cars that use ethanol, but there are also octane limits and such...

7. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

You do need bigger injectors to compensate but I would think the cooler temps would be a huge benefit.

8. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

Unfortunately it looks as if it would still be cheaper to run premium gas than E85 because of the decreased mileage of E85. Of course on a race car, who cares about mileage?

9. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

Well there was a point when gas was over $3 and e85 was around $2. So for the price you could get the same amountof miles per dollar but moreperformance.

10. stifun

stifun Member

I have read of many Cali Evo's running on E85 and in the future I want Doug to do my Turbo Upgrade and tune it for E85 when it becomes more available.