Moving to STU

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Meredith, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I've decided after nationals I will most likely to prep my for STU; should be alot of fun. I'm really convinced that the bridgestones will be just as fast as the neovas. While I really love the grip of my r-comps, buying multiple sets a year has really become annoyning. Right now I'm thinking about getting the Ohlins coilovers for suspension and perphaps one more set of 8.5 RPF1s. I'm acutally more excited about correcting some of the STi's suspension flaws then getting more power.

2. AWD_Tiger

AWD_Tiger Member

Mmmm Ohlins... should be fun

nice video by the way:rofl:

3. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I've been really impressed with the Ohlins shocks on my STi; I figure if you are going to prep for nationals you should go all the way. Right now it's either Ohlins or ZZYZX coilovers, not sure about the rest of the mods.

4. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

FINE! I didn't want competition anyway... :(

5. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Hey you can always buy all my AStock goodies.... i have LOTs of stock wheels!

6. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

We'll talk.

7. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

Yeah, what will you do with all the R comps?

8. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

SweeeT! Welcome to STU. There goes my quest for 1st place next season. Ha. ;)

9. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Laughing at Tasty's favorite mod!! :p

Meredith,
    Can you really live without the R comp grip? I know of very few people who go from r comp's back to street and end up satisfied....

10. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Rotation > grip

Scott I love rotation now..... more rotation is fun :). Besides the new bridgestones are sooo grippy, they feel just as good as the neovas we had the EVO.

11. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

[​IMG]

:D Had to

12. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

I drove the Bridgestone RE-01Rs for the event last weekend, and they were quite nice. The tires are quite sticky, but obviously have less grip than the v710s, so you need to brake a little harder before going into tight turns, but I found that they were pretty easy to drive at the limit. They would starting to make noise before I was pushing them way too hard, and I was easily able to slightly back off and adjust.

I think that STU will be a lot of fun, as the suspension is basically open, so you can pick your own spring rates, coilovers, rear and front sway, camber plates to get the car setup well, while also adding a full turbo-back with a high flow cat and a STU legal tune to get more power out of the car. The cost for car setup mods will be a good bit more, but in the end, tire costs should at least be cut in half, making the season cheaper in the long run. I will sell a good bit of my CRX stuff to build up the STU car, and run it with Mere next season.

Also, a Yokohama ADVAN sales guy was at the BMW event last weekend, and I talked to him for a while, and he said that the RE-01R is the only competitor to their Neova AD07 that even comes close to their performance. They ran their own tests, and found that the RE-01R performed better in the skid pad, but the Neova performed better in transitions. He said that the strength of the Neova was the tread pattern, which also makes it better in the rain. For AutoX, I think it comes down to a matter of driver preference as to which is a better tire. He did say that Bridgestone was really aggressive with their pricing, only making 2% profit on their tires, selling at $146 each compared to $234 each for the Neova. There is also a $100 rebate on a set of 4 Bridgestones going on now if you are an SCCA or BMWCCA member, http://www.potenza.com

I can't wait for next season, co-driving the STi, and only having to deal with one autoX car instead of 2.

--
    Brian

13. clemsonscooby

Well isn't getting the coilovers and additional suspension mods worth a least two sets of R comps? Good luck with the transition. It seems strange that STU is that much more inexpensive compared to AS.

14. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

STU won't be cheaper. The only thing that is cheaper is the tires. It will probably cost more to setup and run the STi in STU for next season that it has this year, but the end result of this is that the STi will be in a class that is better suited for the car. It pains me to see the v710s wearing prematurely, just because of the lack of camber in the front of the STi. It will be fun to have the allowances to setup the car correctly.

Also, I want to move to having one autoX car for the household, and co-driving the STi now on the v710s is not good, as they get crazy hot, and aren't happy when they have to be driven by 2 drivers in one run group. The street tires are better in the regard, and the fronts should be much happier with the right amount of camber.

--
    Brian

15. clemsonscooby

Makes sense... I can see how the camber would piss you off, it would me also. The Hoosier R comps will last you a lot longer than the V710's with a two driver car if you ever decided to keep it in AS. A set with about 50% will last me a year with a co-driver. Granted I probably do about 25% less autox's than you two. It will be nice though to have the car actually turn with maximum potential.

16. eyeballs

eyeballs Member

sounds like you'll be spending lots of time on suspension setup. Now you can have camber!

By the way ohlins you have ohlins pm ohlins.

17. clemsonscooby

What? Are you trying to score her old ohlins? I didn't get that last sentence. That would be a very nice upgrade.

18. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

I thought I had dibs on the Ohlins. ;)

19. eyeballs

eyeballs Member

If mine weren't clunking so bad I would be able to pass them up. Though they may not even fit. I need to do some research. My RCE springs may be coming off if these struts will work.

20. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

The Ohlins on our car are for 05+ STi fitment only and will not fit anything else. They won't be up for sale until after September or November.

--
    Brian

21. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

:banana:

22. Captain Slow

Captain Slow Member

Damn, good to see more competition in STU. Sucks that I won't be in that class anymore, cobb AP, then I go to college. Woot!

23. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I most likely be running pro by the end of the season... they need people to beat up on

24. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

We should show more emotion. I'm going to use a lot of smiley faces...

I've been trying to buy an '05 that has a few mods for STU. :eek:hnoes:
    He's holding it for a friend to get back from a service tour. :squint: :wtc:
    If the friend can't give him an answer by the 25th, it's all mine. :sx:

Sooo... good thing I just sold my freakin brand new PDE camber plates with the '03. :dunno
    I may be doing STU with you. :moon:

25. Meredith

Meredith Banned

cause meatwad gets the honeys see.... meatwad makes the money see

I placed last in Proclass.... go me :).... Mikey get some bridgestones they are the awesomeness.

26. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

Hey Meredith, I think your sig killed the link for yourtube. So are you the little fish in the big pond now that you are in proclass?

27. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

+1 Awesomeness and then some. Enjoyed driving on them yesterday (Thanks Mere :))

28. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

...Drivin in my car, livin' like a star.
    Ice on my fingers and my toes and I'm a Taurus...

what are you two bantering about? What bridgestones? The stock STi ones? Re-012345s or something like that?

29. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Bridgestone RE-01R tires :) they are teh sh!t

30. eyeballs

eyeballs Member

sonofabitch!

31. gt9729b

gt9729b Member

It'll be sad to see you leave A-stock, but hey, new challenges, right? Best of luck and keep me in mind when you go to get rid of all the wheels, tires, and struts. Heck, I might even be able to make it out to another event this season.

32. Lutfy

Lutfy Member

Meredith,

Want to co drive my car in STU? I have all the go fast goodies for that class? Perhaps you can get a taste of the car with more camber/suspension upgrade/power. Whats in it for me? You can help me with setup :p

33. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

picked up some coilovers (Thanks Doug!)
    [​IMG]

revalved KW V3 with 8k F / 7k R [~450lb F / 400lb R]

These should work great until I the zzyzx units are ready!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  34. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

what springs were you guys running with the Ohlin fixed perch struts? How did you like them?

35. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

stock springs, and we loved them, but want to move to a more aggressive setup, since the car is not daily driven any more.

36. veck

veck Member

i think you will like those coilovers. I've got the same set on mine including the rear cusco plates. They can be a bit noisy on hard bumps but they have a pretty large range of adjustment.

37. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

You guys are going to tear up STU...can I get a co-drive... ;)

38. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

You are more than welcome to co-drive it, once we get it setup.

Bushings are starting to arrive, and should get them all this week. By the end of the week, we should have:
    GroupN engine/tranny mounts/pitch stop
    TiC Tranny Crossmember Bushings
    Whiteline KCA375M RACE offset bushings for front LCAs (give .5 degree more caster)
    TiC Rear Diff Mount Bushings and the Kartboy Rear Subframe Outrigger Bushings
    Whiteline steering rack bushings

We are moving back to the Whiteline 27mm FSB with the whiteline KLC39 spherical endlinks, and picked up a whiteline adjustable rear bar.

As for intake, we will keep the stock intake with the k&n filter, drop in an elbow delete, and samco inlet hose.

I have thought about swapping the rear lateral link and trailing arm bushings to polyurethane, but I am worried about binding, and minimal improvement for the effort/cost to swap them.

Once we get the suspension/bushings setup, we will look into power mods. The first set will be to get a good set of defi gauges, and hook up my LM-1 wideband. We will then swap the downpipe (stromung coated/wrapped with a high flow midpipe) and get it protuned with an AP v2 (launch control FTW!). We probably won't start power mods for a month or two.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  39. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Awesome plan man...excited for you guys. Can't wait!!

40. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

Forgot to post these. Wheels came in:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kosei K-1 TS 17x9 +45 wheels with 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE-01R tires shaved to 4/32nds.

41. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

daaaaaaamn.... what's that now, 23 sets of wheels??? 24?

42. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

love your quote. ;)

43. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

i hate you

do you really want me to come take your money again?

44. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

yeah. hopefully you'll win $40 next time so you can register for the Subi Challenge.

45. wrxin8or

i won $60 last time...and didnt register :)

46. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Ah, I didn't even notice. Probably because I left early with a hot chick. See what happens when you register?! That's right... hot chicks.

47. wrxin8or

yep, i still hate you

48. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

hey, don't hate the player, hate the game.

I think your biggest problem may be that you're playing the wrong game... cornhole???

49. Meredith

Meredith Banned

stop thread jacking...... this thread is about how awesome my stu car is.

50. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

oh yeah. sorry. please don't put me in time out!