exhaust and bov question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by HondatoSubaru, Sep 6, 2007.

1. HondatoSubaru

HondatoSubaru New Member

when i get the wrx i plan on getting a exhaust. i heard some wrxs straight piped and i love it. so you guys think it would sound good to get 3 inch pipeing all the way back with the cat still on and straight piped? also i hear re-circulating BOV are better than the others for a stock wrx. what type of BOV would you guys reccommend?

2. cannarella

cannarella Member

Welcome to the board and I have not clue. Hopefully one of the more modded peeps will lend some advice.

3. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

3" will be LOUD. but LOUD is a relative term... so is "good sounding" :)

stock bpv is better than aftermarket until you start doing large turbo big boost numbers stuff. if you MUST get an aftermarket bov, recirc BOV is fine. don't go with atmosph.

if you want more "psht" and spool, then make sure you have the intake silencer (stock) removed. it's safe, free, and does not hurt perf.

4. illepokok

illepokok Member

I had this bov for a week but it made my car run like ass. ;)

[​IMG]

Listen when people tell you that the stock bov/bpv is the best setup until you go with a large turbo.

I ran my 20g at 27 psi with a modded stock setup and it held up fine. Now with the rotated setup I am venting 100% to atmosphere and I hate it. It has a really bad rich stumble between shifts. I need to get a piece welded on to the inlet pipe so I can recirc it.

Here is a description of the mod http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454965

5. AK_Raptor

AK_Raptor Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  6. ferrellb35

ferrellb35 Member

welcome...if you get the 3in. straight pipe you'll love it...as far as the the bov i have no idea

7. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

8. KingofSiam

KingofSiam Member

You're going to have to remove 2 out of the 3 cats to make power (1 out of 2 if you have a 2006+ WRX)

For the best results, you're gonna want to remove all the stock cats and get a high flow converter if you're concerned with the emmisions/smell of going completely catless.

So, the setup for exhaust on these cars is: Uppipe (cat?) > Turbo > Downpipe (cat) > Midpipe(cat) > Catback.

Catback: This is where your sound comes from. Everything before the catback simply modifies the sound. If all you want is sound, just replace this.

Downpipe/Midpipe: A "Long" or "Full Length" downpipe will replace both these parts. A "Shorty" downpipe will only replace the downpipe. Both these parts have big ol' stock cats.

Uppipe: Directs exhaust gases to turn the turbine in the turbo. For 2002-2005 WRX's the uppipe has a cat and you will want to replace it. For 2006+ WRX's the stocker is fine.

Note: -Most exhausts you buy will be 3" anyways.
    - You can also make power if you keep just the midpipe cat and replace everything else. Not optimal though.

9. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Dont get a bov. If u get a recirculating one u'll lose the sound anyways and it'll be pointless. The stock bov is best for a stock turbo wrx. Instead save the money for an Accessport.