Those that have it, impressions of Apexi AVC-R

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by crashtke, Sep 17, 2007.

1. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

After working for over an hour trying to tame my wastegate with this new turbo installed, it occurred to me that it would be FANTASTIC to have gear specific boost such as the AVC-R incorporates. I was curious how people liked this product?

2. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

I like them a lot. I can normally tune boost pretty easily with Protuner, but the AVC-R is nice for the gear-specific boost.

Siegel

3. 1naplay

1naplay Member

agree, used to have it on my Eclipse and I love it.

4. crashtke

My problem right now seems to be that if I hit full boost in first then in 5th it overshoots. If I get it steady in 5th at full throttle, then in 1st through 3rd it never comes close.

5. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

I'm sure milo will chime in soon and tell ya all about it....

6. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I like it a lot. Some might disagree, but I think it is quite easy to use. I haven't used any others but I have a few minor gripes:

1) It displays in kg/cm2. You need to mentally convert to psi if you need it (1 kg/cm2 ~= 14.22psi)
    2) I have mine mounted on the dash using the stand provided with the unit and the buttons rattle a lot.
    3) Only provides boost control for 5 gears. This is not a big deal since I have mine set for gears 2-6.
    4) Can adjust desired boost in increments of 0.05 kg/cm2. This translates to about 0.71 psi increments. I wish it had finer resolution.

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I am quite tempted to install mine and obtain full boost in 1st and 2nd :)

Other than that, I have little to say about it...

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I really like mine. They are also not that hard to use/setup.

9. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

The 91 Turbo Legacy came with one. I haven't tinkered with it yet, but it gives me a consistent 11psi.
    (11psi ain't much but the factory ecu and VF11 that's where I'll stay.)

10. xnoodlesx

xnoodlesx recovering meth addict

I've had mine for almost 2 years. It's worth it for the sole purpose of tuning full boost in 1st and 2nd. It's equally nice to tune down in 5th and 6th.

Another nice thing is you can make adjustments when the weather/season effects boost. Example, in the winter you would need to lower your WGDC as not to overshoot desired boost... and raise WGDC in the hot summers when it's not quite making it.

You can get them new for $400, dont pay anymore.

11. crashtke

yeah seeing them on ebay for around $375 shipped. I have been trying to see what I can find. Is there NO way to make it display in psi?!?

12. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Not that I know of.

13. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

it's too JDM to display psi...at least on mine :D