Help me make a decision about my hood - esp you Milo!

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Cool_____, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well I have the Seibon CWII hood on my car.

Here a pic of the hood.
    [​IMG]

Now I have to get it clear coated before it starts to turn milky. If I got it painted it's not going to cost that much more. I have decided to not get the carbon fiber trunk for several reasons....cost and the pain of having no springs (you can keep the springs but I know several people that have developed stress cracks from them and I got to have the springs).

So I'm faced with a delimma here.
    1) Should I keep the entire hood black and just get it cleared.
    2) Paint the entire hood white.
    3) Do some sort of half half scheme where you paint some of it white but leave the carbon showing on others.

Photoshop gurus and artistic guys can you help a guy out here? I will try my darn best to get the car cleaned up and take some pics for some actual photoshoppable pics. In the meantime I'll see if I can find a Aspen White Suby with this hood.

Thanks.

2. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Tough call. I say just clear it. I really like the look when they tint a carbon fiber hood to match the car color, but have never seen it done on a white car, and don't think it would look very good.

I don't see any reference lines on that hood that would make a 50/50 type job really stand out, so again I am gonna just say clear it.

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Exactly. If the vent lines went on back it would be perfect. Since I have the white/gold theme I thought about clearing it with a gold pearl in it.

4. Trey

Trey Active Member

I had a CF hood I bought in 2000 and it never turned milky. All the new hoods are already cleared, no need to take it to the paint shop and waste your money.

This pic is 7 years old......

[​IMG]

5. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

My decision would depend on the rest of the car. Do you have anything else on your car that is unpainted CF? I remember you used to have the risers. If you have a few recent pictures of your car, that would help out.

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

No other CF but I would like to get the S202 replica wing.

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You can't be more wrong. Buddy of mine has a Seibon hood scoop and it's now pure white. His wifes RX-7 VIS hood also turned white. Wet sanded them and cleared them and they are okay now.

Now they did not wash the car for 2 months and don't wax them much.....maybe that's the issue?

My risers never turned and neither did my old hood scoop but I try to keep the car washed and waxed with 2 claybarring's a year.

8. WJM

WJM Banned

Why no block off piece for stock hood...?

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Not sure what you are asking?

10. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Huh???

11. WJM

WJM Banned

12. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Ah, ok, I see now. That hood is alright, but I like CoolRexs CF hood much, much more.

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Don't have my stock hood anymore.....booroo has it. I had the RS hood but I experienced with proof dramatic underhood temp increases. When I put the CF hood the car immediately felt smoother and quicker with better throttle response.

14. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla Member

Clear it and keep it the same!

15. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla Member

Or just try waxing it and keeping good care of it. It sounds pretty expensive for the clear coat vs. the price of the hood itself

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm gonna clear it plain.

17. booroo

booroo Member

I had a CF hood on my civic and I paid 125 to have it cleared.