good to great shop?

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by todd02, Nov 9, 2007.

1. todd02

todd02 New Member

typical question:
    Not sure yet, but i might be needing some extensive repair work, to the tune of a new engine/tranny for a car that caught fire in the engine compartment. Is there anyone in the area that could capably handle that for a reasonable price? Its on a 2002..
    Any help? Thanks in advance

2. reconracer

reconracer Member

I had a good experience with H&H performance in Fayetteville, NC and a bad experience w/ installs at Topspeed. They are both 300 miles away though. Depending on the severity of the work sure suby guys would help out for some beer and food. When I get my tranny back from H&H with my RA gears you can buy this one I have on 04 wrx

3. BattleWagon

BattleWagon Member

give Bev-Tech a call They are in Bluffton, SC...like 45 min away from Sav. 843-757-4889. Talk to Bev (beav, like a beaver)

4. Hazzard

Hazzard Member

there is also Carter Racing (Asian Automotive) which is in Savannah
    I haven't had anything other than a corner balance and alignment done by them, but I have seen some of the cars coming out of there. I do know that there is a blue bugeye up there that was in the process of an STi swap.

or, like recon said, we could do all the work ourselves. i am always up for helping out on something like that.

5. reconracer

reconracer Member

I down for helping out and also have an F-150 if you need something hauled(I will demand gas money with the way prices are:keke:) I've done all my bolt on engine work and suspension, never done tranny work except put in a short throw. If one of us locals can't figure it out, I'm positive nasioc has a write up on it. Sounds like we need to have a G2G at your place, i'll bring some gear wrenches, the more we can help the more beer you can buy for us, thats cheaper than the average 80 bux an hour labor fee

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Is this on a WRX? PM me details....we have a shop in Florence.

7. Hazzard

Hazzard Member

i have changed the cluch in my car in my driveway, that's about the only tranny work though.

8. reconracer

reconracer Member

I got a couple of connections in NC and VA for rebuilding trannies, about half of what anyone in GA will charge. Andrewtech will rebuild the wrx tranny for 1,000 check out the site for that, you can't go wrong with them and maybe they will slip up and pop ppg's in there.

9. todd02

todd02 New Member

these are all awsome suggestions
    i want to thank everyone in advance for the help
    heres the skinny:
    im out of country right now, the wife was driving her around when some guy told her to pull over she was on fire
    she had nothing to fight the fire with nd had to wait and watch as the fire burned under the hood
    savannahs finest showed up and doused her down(the car not the wife) after that it was towed to a lot to sit and wait on action. right now im still fightin with insurance on coverge, so depending on the outcome we will see.
    i havent seen her, but she says that it still looks like an engine, but it burned hot enuff to melt my optima red-top, so im thinkin electrical is ging to be tricky. in the next day or so i will get an answer from insurance and will move from there.
    i would prefer something close by some people we can trust. i know its goin to be a big job, but im hopin not much more the 5k or so...i will keep everything updated. the car is down off abercorn in southside a look will be the first step so ny help would be great on that.
    thanks again all

10. reconracer

reconracer Member

From experience keep your mods and repair in the local community, if you take it 200-300 miles away you get put on the backburner and when you call to check your status customer service is giving you this--->:fawk:, you show up out of the blue to pick up your car and they do this---->:eek:hnoes:

Heres an option if you can do 6800
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1344562

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  11. todd02

todd02 New Member

ok insurance said no dice on the total. so iwill call bev-tech and carter. if im lucky maybe that bugeye will hve left some good parts. i know ill need periphials, but hopefully engine is still sound used mobile one so hopeful for minor coking. the yard said i need to get it out soon, and no ne could go in and check it out (dicks). if it all comes down...anyone know a yard to store it in long term (like 6 months) that wont break my bank?...keep you posted and hope to post pics also when i get them

12. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

I know we are kinda far away, but i have a CHERRY STI EJ257 longblock here for sale.

$4500 takes it, and its COMPLETE

13. todd02

todd02 New Member

well i looked at my options and i think im going to go with Carter Racing (AKA Asian Automotive) after talking to them they left me feeling confident they could handle the work. We will see. I hope the car in early this week and have them scope it out. I will keep you posted. I am hoping to have a STi, Spec C, or RA swap done when i do it. so.....tbc..,

14. reconracer

reconracer Member

If you need a watchdog on your car while its in the shop and can swing by and check on it at the shop if your still gone, I know a few things about subies, since I do all the work myself and also have a good nose on smelling when a person is full of chit as my soldier from columbia would say due to he couldn't pronounce s too well

15. todd02

todd02 New Member

reconracer, ill keep you posted. it would be too cool to have someone with a lil knowledge stop and look in on her. im still working on the details with the shop. things take a lil longer when your 6k miles away. thanks again man

16. reconracer

reconracer Member

i got a little bit, recently learned little bit on the tranny because I realised didn't know nothing about it. also i know how it is being long distance from a shop and all you know is what you are being told on the phone which sometimes is a bunch of lies

17. todd02

todd02 New Member

well the car is pretty much fooked. the whole electrical is gone and everything plastic under the hood is ruined. so anyone need a project/parts car. 2002 less than 100k miles. leather interior. everything else is in pretty good shape, even the block and tranny hard parts. no title right now 3000$.

18. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

I might be interested. Pics?

Siegel

19. todd02

todd02 New Member

cool ill post pics asap

20. todd02

todd02 New Member

pics are posted under 2002 project thread