squeaky clutch petal

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by supergopher, Jan 10, 2008.

1. supergopher

supergopher New Member

everytime i push in my clutch it squeaks. apparently this is a common problem. very, very annoying. i went to one place and the guy wanted to replace and install a new part (high pressure valve?) it would cost around 400 dollars. its just a squeak!the next place i went to was a jiffy lube. the guy went down to the pit and sprayed grease or wd-40 on something down there connected to the clutch while i pumped the clutch petal for a couple mins. it helped, didnt eliminate the squeak, but after afew miles the squeak was back in full effect. incedently he said there was a guy next door (just brakes) that had the same problem with his STI. he said, that that guy said he had the same problem, and basically id have to live with it. is this a common problem? anyone else have this problem/resolution?

god i hope so, i have no radio and the squeak is driving me crazy! rush hour is the worst!

2. Deke

Deke Active Member

Mine squeaks from time to time. I think it's just something in the actual pedal mechanism. I haven't gotten down there with the wd40 yet though...doesn't bother me that much.

3. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

i had that with my 04 wrx and now with my 07 sti... i'm taking mine into sog to see if it's a warranty thing, but i remember that the wrx was a problem of the grease getting worn away or something like that. nothing that detrimental.

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Mine makes the most funny sound Ive ever heard in a car, you can ask Milo for confirmation :rofl:

5. WJM

WJM Banned

the grease wears away on the transmission snout where the throwout bearing rides and causes the squeak.

With lots of cleaning of all the parts and using heavy grease on all the components it *MIGHT* fix it for 30k miles.

6. shaolin

shaolin Member

I had the same problem with mine. I just sprayed the clutch with WD 40 and it stopped. Be liberal with it, but be sure you have something under you and a spare paper towel to keep it off the pedal (that was not a pleasant surprise).

7. MrCoffeeATL

MrCoffeeATL Member

Mine is doing that too and it has gotten bad enough that if i don't lube it up every once in a while it is actually not as smooth to push in the clutch pedal. I sprayed the hell out of it and it went away for a few hundred miles....pita

8. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

Mine has been doing the same thing. Got it fixed once at a dealership (SOG I think) under warranty, it was just in need of lubricant. 400 bucks is a load...go somewhere else if they tell you that.

If it gets difficult to depress the clutch, just do some leg exercises and start double clutching everything, then your leg will be so strong it won't matter.

9. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

I had the same problem, it was just the throwout bearing.

10. supergopher

supergopher New Member

thanks for all the replys. buy the way it was the master cylinder the guy wanted to repace, noot a high pressure valve (i was tired, and a little dumb). people told me that guys full of it. ill follow up with the thowout bearing lead. thanks again!
    ps- anyone want to tell me what a throwout bearing is?

11. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

I had the same question. Best I can do is give you a photo of what my mechanic pointed at. :rofl: