A few post swap issues - Any swap gurus willing to help me out?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by 992.5RS, Jan 16, 2008.

1. 992.5RS

992.5RS Member

So after I finished my V5 STi swap I have a few small issues.

The car runs great under load, but the idle will search between 500-1500 RPM. Sometimes it will smooth out and idle normally, but most of the time it bounces around.

Also while cruising down the highway at a consistant speed, you can feel the car lose and gain momentum slightly. Its like a pulsating feeling. None of the gauges change or anything, but you can physically feel the car lose momentum. Its really strange. I think these two issuses may be MAF or Throttle Position Sensor related. The TPS is rather expensive so I hope I can rule that out.

I also haven't used my keyless entry since the swap because in the mornings when I hit the unlock button one of the two 10 amp fuses under the dash pops. I'll replace them and it will work fine when I head home in the afternoon. It seems related to water/condensation because it also happens when it rains. Also when it rains the dash illumination fuse pops. I have no idea why.

Any help would be appreciated. I would be willing to drive the car to Atl if anyone has ideas or would be willing to help out.

2. 992.5RS

992.5RS Member

Any one have ideas? Top speed guys? I don't mind paying someone to help me diagnose the problems.

3. WJM

WJM Banned

sounds like an air leak to me.

as for keyless...tracing wiring with diagrams is going to be your best bet.

4. 992.5RS

992.5RS Member

Air leak in the intake track? I'll see what I can find. Thanks!

5. WJM

WJM Banned

Yeah. Check everything from the airbox sealing with the air filter to the manifold-head gaskets.

6. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

That sounds like a TPS to me, but I'm NOT a mechanic. Especially the 500-1500 thing. Isn't there a way to monitor throttle position with a laptop?

7. keeganxt

keeganxt Active Member

yes ecu explorer has something like that under it's real time data viewer, you can also check to see if the position sensor is functioning

8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

9. WJM

WJM Banned

His is version 5 JDM. It will have the IACV detached and on the manifold somewhere. They did not do the integrated IACV on TB until version 7 stuff came along.

An air leak at the manifold will cause a hunting idle. TPS issues will throw a CEL.

Check for air leaks first.

10. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

I was going to suggest the same thing WJM just did. Do a pressure test (boost leak test)

11. 992.5RS

992.5RS Member

Thanks for the suggestions! How do I go about doing a pressure test?

12. WJM

WJM Banned

Yeah...we need a DIY on that.

13. 992.5RS

992.5RS Member

^ That would be cool. I am just going to start by checking all hoses for leaks.