2004 Forester XT MT

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by yardhippie, Dec 11, 2007.

1. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

I decided I should get something going here because of the current mods in progress.
    I bought the car used from an Infinity dealer. I even found it local when SOG said the MT FXT is a hard one to come buy in the south. I walked in and told em I want that car, with a set of conditions. They met em and I drove home a little bit later.

so we have day one, I was so proud! No mods at all other than a K & N Panel filter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It didnt take me long to realize that the stock FXT wheelz and Squealanders were just not going to do it.
    So I found me a set of Gunmetal Rotas with some RE070s already on them for a nice deal! The poor tires were on their last leg, but I managed another 10k out of them.
    [​IMG]

Apparently removing the roof rails is not as easy as the WRX, so I just pulled the cross bars. Considering how much gear I carry, Im ok with having them if I need them.
    [​IMG]

Well its now obvious that it needs to be dropped badly. Thanks to Gary at MANN Engineering for organizing a group buy on the forester.org site for my new Swifts. Install coming this weekend and special thanks to pEd for leading the charge to help me with this one. While we're at it Im gonna throw in the STI rear sway bar thats been collecting dust.

In the meantime though I married my V2.0 AP to the car last night and flashed Stage 1. What an amazing difference. It is so much smoother. I plan on hitting stage 2 early next year when I find me a nice catted DP and 3" mid-pipe. I already have the catless STI UP and a WBR Forester specific 3" axleback. Then all I'll need is a VF39 or 34 and a STI TMIC and I have me a STI in wagon garb! :naughty:

2. FACE

FACE Active Member

Nice man! STi Wagon FTW!!!

Watch out for that pEd guy though...j/k :naughty:

Keep us updated!!!

3. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

looks good man, gotta love the black on black!! FTW!!!

4. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

The black on black makes it look really sinister.

Like...Darth Vader on wheels.

5. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I see a Black Knight; Forester Edition in the distance.

"Milo....I am your Father."

6. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Im not planning on going that big. Although Ive said that so many times before. . . and yet ive ended up with custom ported heads, 5000 rpm stall converters, GM parts on a DSM, and lots of busted knuckles. And here i said I wouldnt get carried away with this one, yet every day Im looking for more goodies.

maybe there is something to be said for a 350hp Forester. :coolugh:

7. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Yeah... "A nice start"

Welcome, and nice ride!

8. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Whoo hoo. Got my Swifts and a new rear sway bar installed this Sunday.
    A big thanks goes out to pEd for helping me with the install and providing the garage and tools!

Pics to come when I get back home off my business trip.
    Wow did that make a huge difference!

9. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

Sweet FXT...I can't wait to start modding mine...

Mark

10. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Finally some pics of me ridin on my new swifts!! Its a little dirty, but so much better lookin!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

looks good. I have been trying to find one of those rides for my wife lately.

12. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

With the springs installed it looks absolutely bitchin! How does it ride now?

13. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

No doubt its a little stiffer going over the harsh bumps. Took a 1000 mile road trip last weekend and didnt mind the ride at all. The STI rear sway bar makes a big difference in the corners. FSTI here I come!!:ddirty:

14. ej205

ej205 New Member

nice fxt i alway wanted one but hard to find one that come across

15. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

lovin the forester! I want one more and more everyday, and yours looks sick! Should put a sti hoodscoop on there. (if possible)

16. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Looks great!

17. JEFFSTI

JEFFSTI Member

the perfect sleeper

18. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

That is pretty much how I want mine to look. The cops here are really strict on tint in the front for SUV's, but the back can be 5% if I want. I am gonna be getting Black SSR Comp C's too. FXT's Rule....Your ride is very clean and BA!!!.

Mark

19. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Ok, so my WBR, Forester specific, 3" mid-pipe showed up yesterday and I got a wild hair that sent me straigt into install mode. It took a bit longer than I expected, but the end result is awsome. Noticable faster spool, and I actually believe its a little quiter.

I have a write up with pictures in PDF format but it's too large for the attachment manager on here. Anyone know of a document hosting service?

20. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

:dunno

but i do know that when i see your thread bumped i always think it's a new FS thread for a XT and I say to myself "oh crap, i should sell the STi and get this." Have you thought about lowering it? and swapping in a vf39?

21. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

Your forester is looking very nice. I came very close to going the road that you are going down, but decided on a legacy instead because of the 6 sp.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  22. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Lowering? pEd just helped me install my Swifts back in November! :coolugh:

So far the mod list is:
    WBR 3" mid-pipe
    WBR 3" axle back
    17" Rotas w/ 225 45 ZR17
    Swift Forester specific springs
    STI RSB
    Cobb AP 2.0
    Running Stage 1, 93 octane map
    K & N air filter
    Snorkus delete

Wating to be installed:
    Helix 3" catted DP
    STI catless UP
    pEd has graciously agreed to help me with those to! :bowdown:

Future plans are for a VF swap (39 or 43), but I'd really like to go with a big 16. Which means I have to get retarded with the TMIC. I want to keep the stealth look thats got a bit of bite to it. Im trying to get my hands on a 02-03 WRX scoop to get that bigger opening, but maintain the black on black look.

and she's always for sale, its just a matter of how much! :fawk:

23. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

I'll see if I have one of my old pictures. here we go.

My 'other' ride. :naughty:

[​IMG]

24. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

sounds like a nice setup.....looks good man!!

25. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Whoohoo update!

Now I question my sanity doing it today b/c of the heat, but its now done!
    Today I added a catless STI UP, a Helix catted DP to the mods listed above.
    And I reflashed to STAGE 2!!!

Some observations:
    When doing all the above:
    remove the TMIC, life is so much easier.
    I used a 2' extension that is 1/2" at the rachet end and 3/4" at the drive end. The make breaking that O2 sensor in the header loose so much easier!
    Make sure you have bolts to fit your new DP to your MidPipe!!!
    Let the car sit over night and spray the WD40 on there the night before.

I used the jack one side of the engine method to free the UP and pulled it out the top, worked like a dream.

All in all it took me 5 hours. This counts getting all the tools out, a break for lunch, and multiple breaks to drink water and cool off in the A/C. Then putting all the tools back after I was finished.

I modified my turbo heat sheild to fit my DP. I used a 4 1/2 angle grinder with a cutting wheel on it. Sliced it like butter and only took two tries to get it the way I wanted it.

Now I just need a a gazillion more dollars to do everything else I want!

26. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Yeah for you!

And I now have my own Forester so I'm less likely to steal yours now.

27. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I love Foresters. Question is the 2004 Forester a 2.5L?

28. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

29. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

sweet azz ride man... the wheels and suspension give that thing a sick look.. you think about tinting the headlights and tail lights at all?

30. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Ooohhh yea! :ddirty:

Take a stock FXT 5MT
    Add:
    STi ECU
    STi TMIC
    STi turbo
    get a tune

= faster than a stock STi b/c of the gearing.

I'll be interested in what I put down with the stock TMIC and TD04. now if i get get a few days off AND in town to set it up! :)

31. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Ive been thinking about seeing 10th street or Alex.
    I've got some eyebrows for the bezels. seem em at www.importology.com
    Should really make it look mean.

I'd still like to add the larger scoop, and a rear spoiler, but Im savin for a tune!

32. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

eyelids look good... you could still do a light tint over the lights just to give it the murdeered out look... bigger scoop will really seal the deal though... congrats on a gorgeous ride

33. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Is the 2.5L built like the STi engine? I was told the 2007 have the same short block just higher compression.

34. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

its the 255 i think.. not the 257...

35. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Same block....cool!

36. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

Sweet ride I am so thinkin about going forester 2.5 route now.

37. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I was drooling over the red Forester STi conversion that is in the current SubieSport.

38. simplespirit

simplespirit Member

The 04/05 FXT is an EJ257. They switched to the 255 with the 06 model.

39. 2thAche

2thAche Member

With your bolt-on list growing it's probably a good time for a pro tune. Or are you waiting till you have a new turbo?

Nice car. I like the Foresters.

40. yardhippie

yardhippie Member

Im waiting on more than two days in ATL before I have to leave again. I'll be I have driving the thing 3000 miles in 2 months and that includes trips to TN and AL. :squint:

Im not looking for any parts right now, but if the right turbo and/or TMIC shows up I'll snag it.
    Im comfortable with the power it makes right now, but plan on getting a tune in the near future.

I couldnt be happier with my choice. You folks dont know how packed this thing gets when i head out for a weekend and still have room for 4! :fawk:
    It is always really funny to see the looks on people faces when they see this wagon pull up or away!
    I just wish it had a 6th gear!!!!