Name that problem!!

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Nemesis Digital, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Okay so just today I noticed an issue with my 04 WRX.

I know the brakes need to be changed soon. The rotors seems slightly warped by the shudder Im getting during light braking but not at hard braking.

Two weeks ago I activated the ABS to avoid a car running a red light. Weird enough the brake shuddering went away for a few days, now its coming back. Ive been so busy lately I haven't had time to drop the car off at a dealership.

Anyways, just today I noticed when pulling out a parking spot and the wheel is turned, im getting moderately loud inside the cabin click/thunk noise.

So here are the things Ive tried.

1. Turned the wheel and gave it light peddle. It makes a consistent click I can feel in the steering wheel, but not a rapid clicking nosie.

2. When having someone turn the wheel, I can see the passenger front side of the car raise ever so slightly.

3. It happens in slow turning, left or right, forward or reverse, but the noise is coming from the passenger side front tire.

4. Lug nuts are tightened.

Any ideas would be great. Im fairly inclined to do work myself as well, so suggestions on what to look for visually and certain tests I can do myself would be great.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Jack the car up and see if the wheel will wiggle some. If so its probably a wheel bearing.

3. FACE

FACE Active Member

^^^sounds right to me

4. SUBY_RUE

SUBY_RUE Member

CV axles click andclunk when their about to break... Ckeck the cv boots and see if there is any rips.

5. Ok, this is weird. I just took it out for a drive again, went to an emtpy parking lot to do some tests, and now the sounds and feeling are gone? What could it have been?

6. Demo24

Demo24 Member

well your brake problem was fixed by the hard braking. Your rotors probably aren't very badly warped so the hard braking smoothed them out temporarily.

Granted this is a long shot, but its possible your swaybar is binding. Although I suspect it's something more, like a CV.

7. lsnaple

lsnaple Member

I had a problem sounds very similar, was my front passenger wheel bearing. Do like liquidforce said and jack it up. If it feels loose at all and the lug nuts are tight it's probably the wheel bearing. If it is you'll want to fix it soon. If it completely breaks up enough the wheel could come off while driving.

8. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

wheel bearings. Light break wobbles in wheel that fade with more pressure = bearings.

9. ej205

ej205 New Member

wheel bearing issue, i have the same problem before

10. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

11. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

??

12. AK_Raptor

AK_Raptor Member

^^^Thats his new ride

13. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Just sold the wagon instead of fixing the wheel bearing? :)

14. Trey

Trey Active Member

Man that ford leaked alot of oil..I guess that's expected tho. :p

Fug that car, lets see pics of the Trans Am!!