Are tinted tails legal?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by dontcallitarex, Dec 26, 2007.

1. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

I'd like to do a light tint on my tail lights. Does anyone know if this is this legal? I've heard different things. And if it isn't has anyone ever been harassed? Thanks.

2. WJM

WJM Banned

Ofcourse its illegal. But everyone does it anyways.

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Hell, VW used to do it from the factory...it all depends on the shade of tint and how you go about tinting it.

I've used in the past, VHT tint spray. I got it from Summit Racing, IIRC, and it worked out perfect!! Tints the light just right, but when the lights are on, you can't tell they are tinted. definitely something worth looking into!

4. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Whooo way to go russ! I have been thinking about tinting my reverse lights too...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2007
  5. dontcallitarex

Fair enough. But while this holds very true about police officers, scotty is an avid Public Enemy fan. So, I cut him a little slack in the respect that he probably just couldn't resist kickin' out tha jams in such a manner.

But I'm gonna beat him o'er da head with my OEM shifter when next I see him, since a kartboy that came today will be sitting in it's place. :D

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Your concern about this modification should not be about the legality of the issue, rather, it needs to be focused on the "safety" concerns.

The 20% tinted tailights which some of our members wear proudly IMO are not "Safe". With that said however, you can still see the taillights relatively clearly at night on the road. While this is good, it isnt the nighttime visibility that concerns me with this type of modification. The time period that view as most crucial is twilight time. It is at this time that even stock taillights that are dirty become hard to see.

If you would like to play it safe I would suggest only purchasing film that is 35% (the legal limit for our windows). That is what is on my taillights currently. I have never received 1 complaint from any police officers about it. My only concern with it is that it significantly dims your reverse lights. Considering your tails are LEDs, I doubt this will impact their brightness that much anyways.

With that said, go forth young man and tint those things!

7. dontcallitarex

Thanks Alex! Like I said I was thinking a "light" smoke, just to tone down the brightness of the tails a little bit, so I imagine 35% would be more than enough for the effect I'm going for.

And what's the news on my hot new 10th street jdm alcantara interior pieces? I got my Kartboy installed and she's naked. Shift boot needed, yo. :)

I love you, Alex. And thanks again.

8. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I am not sure if it is legal or not... Butt you car needs tinted tails bad.

9. Alex

Waiting on material to arrive, once it does they'll be done. Did you decide on a stitching color yet (blk, gray, etc)? Also, what exactly did your dad want done to his 911?

10. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

11. Alex

12. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

i prefer jelly

on a side note, red tint on the 08 sti tails would look sweet

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  13. silverscoob

silverscoob Member

my taillights are tinted and I've never been pulled over for it.

14. atl_sti

atl_sti Member

What type of film do you use? I would like to get mine tinted as well. I'm gonna have to find someone to do mine though, never been any good with that kinda stuff (tint, stickers, etc).

15. Alex

You could consider PMing one of our vendors, 10th Street JDM :)

16. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

WOOHOO!!!! +11tybillion for 10th street jdm!!!!

SO 10th st., when is my headlight package coming in?

17. Deke

Deke Active Member

I've been considering doing this for quite some time (just a light tint), and now that I'm black on black I'm thinking even more. My only concern is that I've seen a number of cars with tinted tails that no longer look shiny. There's no gloss to them anymore. Is this just because some people do it cheaply? Or is the haziness just an inevitable thing (obviously a couple years down the road)?

18. jakeisajedi

jakeisajedi Member

I had 5% on my tails and the cops didn't like it, but they didn't say it was illegal. The tinted tag cover I had was illegal but a throw away ticket in court if it is removed. Murdered out FTW!

19. schneid

schneid Member

uuhhh tinted tails look stoopid.

dontcallitarex, if anything put red tint on those 08 tails, not black

20. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I have to agree. Black tinted tails look great on a Black car, decent on a white car, but aweful on Blue. I had Tinted tails that I picked up from a member on my car for maybe a month or 2 but hated them, so I swapped with another member that had a White WRX that looked really good with them.

21. dontcallitarex

How exactly does one go about making the tails red? Is it like a paint or do they make like a film for it? Because I agree that they would look great with the WR blue, but I don't know how to go aboot it.

22. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

They do make red tint, just like the black. 10th ST should be able help you out with that also;)

23. schneid

schneid Member

I think that tinted tails give the car a cheap, boy racer look. The darker the tint, the worse it looks IMO. The lighter the color of the car, the worse it looks. So the best application (IMO) is a light tint on a dark car.

I think people tint the tails trying to give them a subtle/blended look or to draw attention away from them, but it really just brings attention to them and makes them stick out...fail.

Here is one of the more tastefully done taillight tint jobs ive seen (from recent thread on nasioc):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice how the tails are still more 'red' than 'black'...when you tint them to the extent that they are pretty much all black it reminds me of some kids neon in a high school parking lot.

24. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I have seen some people just put a light tint on the reverse lights on their WRX... I think that looks pretty good!

25. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ Thats what I have done, and I think it looks pretty good... maybe I'm biased...

26. Deke

Deke Active Member

Damn, that does look good. That's about the darkness I would want if I were to do mine.

27. atl_sti

atl_sti Member

Thanks, took your advice. Hope to hear back from them soon! They are so close to me too. :) Wait, that might actually be bad news, because i'm itching for mods.

28. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

you know anyone that paints? they put a light coat of candy red on them with some clear, would look awesome! Also if you just want to tint them, they can do a black basecoat and it can be wetsanded down to where you want it.

29. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I had them on the wagon and I loved them...Alex, you did a great job on them bro...

Mark

30. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I have had tinted tails on my car for 3 years and had to drive from 75 to 41 on Barrett pawrkway at least once a day for two years and never once got pulled over for it or a complaint. I think the looks very depending on the color of the car. If I had my way, I'd get an 08 STI in DGM and see if 10th street can pull them apart and paint all the silver DGM. If not I will sacrifice my reverse light and tint again. Just my $.02

31. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

I'm back :-D
    Just got me a 08 5door and saw this post, so wondering
    Since mine is Dark grey mecha what kind of tint i should go for??
    I was wondering greyish type of tint, then i like deep blue tint but would that cause any problems?
    Need your feedback.

32. dontcallitarex

33. caseyfoster

caseyfoster Member

34. dontcallitarex

Bitch! :slap:

Ok this isn't ImportAtlanta. Sorry.

35. Alex

You had painted tails :)

36. Alex

No more blue wrx?! Welcome back ;)

37. Deke

Deke Active Member

38. Alex

[​IMG]

39. Deke

Deke Active Member

Lol, did I just get Pepper Brooks-ed on two different threads?

[​IMG]

40. Alex

SI

41. dontcallitarex

So is that now the symbol for "Hope it works out for ya?"

42. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

lolz.....whateva!!! ....................... but gotta admit the *man* hates em.

[​IMG]

43. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ Man.. your car is fucking sweet... love everything about it....

44. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

well thank you very much there kind sir:naughty:

45. Alex

Deke, yes.

46. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

yeah it looked really hott on yur wagon Mark:bowdown:

47. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

wow nitro.. freakin awesome car